What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a definitive ins/outs of CO2/building a sealed room?

maryanne3087

I'm looking for information on building a sealed room. I see threads of people building rooms and the equipment they used but I don't see a lot of "How To".

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated,
MA3087

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
A sealed room is just that, sealed. The heat from the lights are combatted with AC and dehumidifiers. Co2 is provided from a hose that wraps around the ceiling with holes in it to let the co2 drop over the plants, as co2 is heavier than air. Now there are two ways to do this.

Run insulated ducting through your hoods and out of the room. So intake is outside of the room, blows through the hoods and out of the room. So the room is sealed, no passive air intakes, just the cool air rushing through the hoods.

The other way is to just cool the room with the hoods open. Doing this will require a larger ac unit and definitely some dehumidifiers. There are threads on here about mini splits, and other HVAC related info.

The co2 is on a timer and most efficient is a co2 controller that reads the ppm of co2 in the air and keeps it to a certain level. Usually between 1000-1500 ppm. Some growers match the co2 to their ppm of nutrients. I prefer to provide 1500ppm all of the time its on, which is from the third week to three weeks before harvest.

The co2 system consists of a tank, regulated, timer, and hose. CO2 burners are an option but generate some heat.

As far as a how to, I guess start by asking what is confusing you and we go from there.

Happy to help!

Vibes

DemonTrich

Veteran
I run a sealed room. heres my setup

8x12x6.75' room
2x4 framed, 3/4" plywood floor
6 layers of 10ml contractors black plastic, panda film, and reflective material (walls only), 6 rolls of 3m flex tape, 6 rolls of gorilla tape, all material seams are 3' overlapped and 3x taped, all screws, staples, ect are 3x taped.
14k btu dual hose a/c inside room
70 pint deheuy in room
blueprint bdac2 co2 controller w/fuzzy logic
3x600hps in big kahuna hoods
monster carbon scrubber matted to a 8" 720cfm fan at 75% power
fully sealed, NO intake/exhaust
4 plants under each hood

co2 settings
wk 1 and 2 600ppm
wks 3,4,5,6 1200ppm
wks 7 800
wk 8 600
wk 9 (if needed) 600

I have my co2 lines secured to my 4x 18" oscillating fans that blow the co2 over the plants
5x 10" fans on floor, 3 blowing up, 2 blowing across floor

the dual hose a/c does suck out a little co2, as proved by my floor panda film raising up a bit from the neg pressure.

I use 2x 20# tanks. one as a back up as I never want to run out of gas. a tank on the 1200ppm weeks last 7 days at 21.00 a pop.

the reason I have my wks 1/2 and 8 ppm settings at 600, is the plant still needs co2 to thrive. enough to help finish up, not enough to stunt end growth.

My ac hood ductwork and dual hose ac duct work is 4x wrapped with c
Saran wrap and taped. My hoods have added glass weatherstripping added plus ALL welds and seams have been caulked. I'm ocd about things.

Last edited:

maryanne3087

I'm looking to build a 12'x16'x8' room split into 2 rooms to take advantage of a flip flop / lower heat.

= 1536 cubic feet

Have you guys ran co2 without a controller before?

Bongstar420

I wanna hear how to do it without giving $ to someone to do it.

There is a way

I don't know about 1500ppm all the time, but I've had people complain that my room full of plants was difficult to breath in. I can't notice much since I don't notice low oxygen environments easily due to efficient lungs.

I don't spend any money of CO2 equipment, and I defoliate daily when temps are consistently above 75f

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yeah people say my room is hard to breathe in as well, that's cause it fucking reeks. Eye watering dank.

My wife and I went at it in the room once, whew good times, when we were done co2 controller said 2900ppm....and pretty sure the plants cheered. :tiphat:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yes you can run co2 without a controller. Just get a tank, regulator, and timer. Run for 15 min per hour at .2 on the reg.

Plants receiving co2 in the final weeks will weigh less because they are not encouraged to ripen. Ripening equals the buds building from the inside out, dense goodness. Properly ripened plants are the best of quality.

maryanne3087

Where do you get these numbers?

Like is there a way to do a calculation myself to estimate my co2 ppm?

Do you have to ventilate the room at any point? Someone told me every 4-6 hours there should be a full volume of air removed from the air.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yeah people say my room is hard to breathe in as well, that's cause it fucking reeks. Eye watering dank.

My wife and I went at it in the room once, whew good times, when we were done co2 controller said 2900ppm....and pretty sure the plants cheered. :tiphat:
:laughing::laughing::laughing: monogamous pollination indoors... Brilliant!

Where do you get these numbers?

Like is there a way to do a calculation myself to estimate my co2 ppm?

Do you have to ventilate the room at any point? Someone told me every 4-6 hours there should be a full volume of air removed from the air.

Anyone know if this was solved? Also would like to know when to start/stop using the c02.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Anyone know if this was solved? Also would like to know when to start/stop using the c02.

The best way is to get a controller and monitor! 1000ppm is what you want!

If you are using organic soil you may not need any supplemented co2 as the soil life will produce it as a by product!!

The best way is to get a controller and monitor! 1000ppm is what you want!

If you are using organic soil you may not need any supplemented co2 as the soil life will produce it as a by product!!

A monitor still doesnt solve my issue though? Do i do all of veg? Some/all of Flower? Is there. Link that runs it down c02 ppm and schedule?

Drop That Sound

Anyone considered using a portable propane shower heater to generate c02 for a smaller sealed room? There only like $120-180.00. They have stainless steel burners which could probably easily be cleaned, if not replaced too.

The reason I ask is because I only run sealed in the winter to save heat, and thought I could supply the room c02 as well as radiate the heated water from a res and through a radiant floor system (or radiator) into other areas of the grow. During light hours of course.

Suppose I could heat a large res, and then use the water to heat the room during lights off too!

Seems like a cool Idea, I guess they turn on instantly as soon as water is being pumped, which could be hooked to a c02 controller. I heard burners produce a lot of extra heat, well this would be like a water cooled burner, possibly exhausting less heat than a normal c02 gen?!

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 61r5IXXxdbL._SL1200_.jpg
    61r5IXXxdbL._SL1200_.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 417f8abRdeL.jpg
    417f8abRdeL.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 711QtArOaoL._SL1500_.jpg
    711QtArOaoL._SL1500_.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 8

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
There's a link in my signature, to which I would add: You'll want 1500ppfd of light with CO2 supplementation, which can be a tall order for some gardens. Be prepared to feed extra, water extra, top and prune earlier. Growth will be faster all around.

Latest posts

Latest posts