What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Biosynthesis

Veteran
clackamas

clackamas

ten trees. half semi dwarf,half dwarf most in theyre second year. Takes me an hour to spray them all.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

Try the Horsetail Fern recipe at the link I posted.

Dwarf trees should be pretty easy to insure a complete and total application. Apply as late in the evening as possible. Follow up a week later and the following week.

A mix of Stinging Nettle roots and Horsetail Ferns should take care of the problem.

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Are you suggesting I should spray the treas with one of the nettle fermentions I see people brewing?

Bio

Yes I am with one big modification - strip the leaves from the plant and put them into a large barrel. Use a Weed Whacker to pulverize them as much as possible.

The roots should be ground up or at least smashed with a heavy hammer/mallet. You want the internal root material to be exposed to the water - however you get there.

Let's say you end up with 15 gallons of pulverized plant material - cover that with 30 gallons of water and let that steep in the sun for 3 or 4 days.

Strain and dilute with water 1:3 and apply.

The muck can be used as a 'semi-green' mulch, compost pile activator, worm food, etc. It is not waste by any means.

HTH

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
too cool cootz.

Heres an example of the trees. this is a pic from last summer.
picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
This peach tree was realy bushy last year. This winter she was trained into a nice open vase shape and I even took the time to pinch off all the curly leaf and cull out the overabundance of peaches to 4-6 inches. If everything goes smooth it will be its biggest harvest to date. It is 7 years old now, a dwarf. Perhaps in its prime?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

I just thought of something - in Portland there is a nursery called One Green World and if you'll take the time to look at the myriad of fruit trees, nut trees, rootstock berries, etc. you'll see that he knows what he's doing.

Give him a call and get his sage advice. He's been at this for decades and is highly regarded for the quality of his plants.

HTH

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thanks! Ill be making the brew this week. 55 gallon drum and a weed wacker is a great idea. after its chopped up with the weedwacker ill take a 4x4 or 10 pound maul to it and pulverize it. Might as well spray ganga and roses and such wouldnt you think?

B

BlueJayWay

Envious - the gardens pictured here look just fabulous!

I'm at the starting point of working a property that will be a challenge to get up to par and just pales in comparison at this point.

This is the first of at least a dozen or so hugelkultur style beds I'd like to get started this year so that I may start planting veggies next year:

picture.php

Sticks, twigs and logs with compost and old soil piled on top. Barley & clover seed broadcast and then mulched with the native oak and pine leaves. I make sure to use extra seed as the Blue Jays here will watch me throw seed out, eagerly waiting for my departure.

Sequoia Strawberries in their 2nd year - hopefully more fruit than just for the birds this year!

picture.php

Lots of mulching throughout the year, adding compost and growing plants like this:

picture.php

(comfrey)

Will hopefully turn areas like this:

picture.php

Into lush summer gardens!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thanks for coming in and sharing BlueJayWay. Comfrey looks so much like foxglove. Hugelkulture. Has a nice ring to it. Ill look it up so as not to ask a million questions. But for today.... off to catch some trout. Please Keep em coming folks!

al-k-mist

word. all of you have shown nice stuff.
thanks for the horsetail recipe, CC. I added 7 cups of dried horsetail and 2 cups alfalfa meal in one raised bed, as a study on it. the rest(except other study planters) had 7c alfalfa meal.(in addition to the other stuff). seeing if the horsetails can be substituted, as we have a ton
but no nettles this year, only in another part of (coastal) douglas county where we used to live...there they were everywhere. here, not so much.
Bio, i have heard that a copper product can prevent botrytis mold from effecting cannabis and strawberries, etc.
heres our orchard we put in a few months ago

I will get pics today of her herb garden, which is small...we moved here recently and been workin like mules.
And the raised beds,,,cannabis going in today(rain!!!) and we have chamomille, dill, cilantro, thyme, several mints, and crimson clover.
wild on the property, we have horsetails, rosehips, pennyroyal, yerba buena, dogwoods, white bark raspberries, trailing blackberry, native blackberry, invasive himillayan blackberry, and lots of unidentified
and madrone trees, beautiful and majestic
more pics later

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
al-k-mist

You mentioned Madrone - is that the usual Pacific Madrone found on the coast of the PNW? I was reading an article just last night while looking for something else which I don't remember right now but it was a plant in the same genus as Madrone trees.

How tall are these trees around your property?

CC

al-k-mist

Id say 70-80 feet, but some are not veretical. they go every which way. but even straight ones can lean like 40 degrees or so
Arbutus menziesii is the species, and yes, its the pacific madrone.
before i planted the clover i was going to use madrone leaf mulch
i read something recently, cant recall what. possibly that endomycorhizzae infected madrones???

O

OrganicOzarks

Here are a few shot form last years garden. I live on a rocky mountain that makes it impossible to plant in the ground. So raised beds are built, and filled. It's the only way to grow here.

As you can see I pack in shit everywhere. I try not to waste any space. As space is limited.

I forgot to add that I am lazy, and this all gets watered buy a drip system with a timer. The best hundred bucks I ever spent. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts