What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

guerilla grow -- greenhouse style?

Boomer89

Okay, so heres my situation..

I live in a small town, in northern NJ and theres a shitload of woods around here. Miles and miles of woods, and I happen to live right next to it. Last year, I built a small greenhouse out of 1x1 wooden stakes, and plastic window covering. It was only about 3' high x 10' long, just enough space for an early start. That soon caved in because of heavy rain..

This year, I wanna do something similar so I can get my plants outside early. I'm thinking of building another greenhouse. Only, something alittle more sturdy.

I would love to go all out and build one about 20'x10'x10' (LxWxH), but that would be EXTREMELY noticeable in the middle of the woods. Thats my main problem.

Also, I'm debating weather or not I should plant these straight into the ground or not. Last year, I had them in 5gal buckets and that seemed to work alright, but the buckets were really noticeable (they were neon orange, lol).

What do you think? Good idea, or not?

suzycremecheese

I assume you want the early start for bigger plants but bigger plants are more noticable... not to mention the greenhouse. Why not start later and use more smaller plants?

Ive got exactly what you speak of Boomer, its in the middle of the woods, but i used heavy gauge wire between two trees to keep it from caving in. Same principles and everything. I cannot wait to fill it with plants.

jojajico

Veteran
y are u gunna grow in a greenhouse if its a guerilla grow? am i not understanding the scenerio? if you want to grow outdoors simply find a remote plot and plant ur babies be careful ofcourse but i dont see the point of growing outdoors in secret and constructing a massive greenhouse. if ur worried that ur plants may be found find another spot or plant multiple spots. remember if u live right next to the woods and there arent others in the same situation u will be a prime suspect.

hogwild

if there are trees around you can get simple eye hooks and screw them into the trees and string cables or rope and drape whatever greenhouse material over that, im assuming plastic is your greenhouse material. Some friends and i did this years ago for a treetop loft and i got to thinking it could be used as a greenhouse if we lowered it a bit

jojajico, it actaully helps you get out earlier in the season to start seedling and cut clones, and basically when everyone else plants and there seedlings take a long time to take off. Your plants are nice and warm, and grow like crazy, until you put them in the ground.

badmf

I agree with Jojajico; the greenhouse adds more problems than it solves. 1. its visible! (rippers,LEO) 2. it will build up humidity unless it has very good ventilation 3. for the labor of haulin' in and buliding this, you could camo w/o the house. The only thing it prevents is some insects and deer from muchin' away, but there are other means to accomplish this. I would concentrate on a "reg" guerilla grow for the effort compared to the risk, jmtc. PS for early starts do it indoors (or a small temp cold frame with pvc hoops)and then bring em out shade adjust for a week and they're off to the races!

G

I don't know much but air line cable is cheap, eye hooks are cheap, quick links are cheap, plastic is cheap.. more importantly you can carry it all in a duffle bag.. Do as they say, use the eye hooks, create a tent, and stake it down.. should be plenty of protection and just as unstealthy as anything else.. plus you can take it down easily should you need to. If you must, it really is the best option.

err

err

you gotta think of what thats gona look like from the air !
im doing a gorilla grow this year (UK) and theres rain here and i dont need a green house lol .just find a spot in DENSE trees cut out a oval hole in the middle with the point of the oval pointing the direction of the sun and plant at the back ...get some wire fence and nail it to the inside of the grow area to keep out animals , camo it up both sides remember to leave a flap as a entry point and ...... im planting 50/70 females this year !
great white shark
durban poison
ak47 x big bud
early girl
hollands hope
KC 39

laterz

elevate

jojajico said:
y are u gunna grow in a greenhouse if its a guerilla grow?

He wants to start early. Northern NJ is cold in Jan. and Feb.
For plants to survuve early in the outdoor season, a greenhouse would be necessary.

cdc

If you dont have to move them ..i. would go in the ground ..if ya got em in a spot where they can me seen ....and you might want to move them when they get bigger i would go for buckets ...just my 2 cents worth:)

-=TGG=-

cdc said:
If you dont have to move them ..i. would go in the ground ..if ya got em in a spot where they can me seen ....and you might want to move them when they get bigger i would go for buckets ...just my 2 cents worth:)

I'm with you on this one...^^^

Alright , I used a greenhouse for over a month to beat the weather, and IT WORKED! The humidity building up was Not a problem, in fact the worst part was getting the plants to accept the 48 degree nights and low humidity. I tied heavy guage wire between two trees, and draped clear plastic over it. It would look like a joint from a birds eye view. I would roll the two end flaps on each side together to make it airtight. I almost never had to water my plants. They were protected from all the elements. Absolutely a great idea. I had the sides held down with all the thick branhces in the area i could find, and a little bit of moss. This was not in full sun whatsoever, partial sun for half the day. The takedown is less than 5 minutes. Recommendations: Use pots if possible. If laying soil on ground, put plastic undeneath it for easier transplanting. Bigger is NOT better. I would fold one side up and over for easy access. You must harden off the plants before transplanting out of the greenhouse this way,(or atleast In the northeast you do) Thats it, highly recommended technique.