What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flat white walls or reflective material?

LadyGuru

This should be a quick thread.....

I like white smooth walls. Reason, I can repaint if things get dirty, the reflective rate of flat white walls is 90+% and I can add anti mildew agents with low VOC.

Why do people like the reflective material? Don't know how to mud and tape or it's easier to install the reflective material? I would think the reflective material would get dirty, and at a minimum need cleaning. I would imagine over time it breaks down and loses a fair amount of it's reflective properties.

I know I must be missing something, can anybody clear this up?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Because the industry says you need it!

Flat White painted walls for the win.
There's nothing to flop around and they're way easier to clean than even tent walls.

I've got a roll of mylar that I'll probably NEVER use.

Mengsk

Panda film is cheap enough, easy to clean you can spray it down or replace it between grows easily. Flat white paint is fine but the film is nice to have.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've also used flat white for years, after trying other things. Use 3 coats if you can, since it washes easier. Remember to put a new coat on once a year or so to freshen it up. Keep it bright white.

I've read you can add titanium powder and it's even brighter white. Expensive though. lol

LadyGuru

This video helped! Thank you.

However, this is kind of what I already knew. Off the top of my head from reading maybe a decade ago, flat white plaint is 90% reflective, where mylar type material is 92-95%.

I wonder if the durability of paint makes paint a better product. I know I have seen mylar that is really worn down, and maybe 70% reflective after a decade of use.

Thanks for the video, that at least clears up what material is more reflective brand new. :tiphat:

RB56

Veteran
90% s 92% is one thing, but the inverse square law still applies, so you're 90% of the full path length - source to wall, wall to plant. Ay distance between plants and walls and I doubt much useful light is getting to the plant, no matter what is reflecting.

Been using LEDs that let me keep the light off the walls in the first place.

Samuel Caldwell

I used Reflectix bubble insulation that I bought at a big box hardware store. The basement 'room' that's now my garden has concrete block and plywood walls. This is very uniform and simple to install. I just staple gunned around the top and used aluminum ducting tape to hold the sheets together and at the edges. It'll be easy to replace individual sheets or all of it when necessary.