What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Arizona troubles

midwestkid

Veteran
Greetings
So I got busted for possession in Phoenix....
Which is a felony. If I get a felony I lose my job....
A felony for a small amount of weed!
But apparently Arizona will honor med cards from other states.... I held a card in Colorado and California but they are expired....
Any ideas? Anybody know anybody that can post date a med card from a med state?
Any help is appreciated..... this sucks
PM me!

Greetings
But apparently Arizona will honor med cards from other states.... I held a card in Colorado and California but they are expired....
PM me!

Get a lawyer

Easy7

Veteran
Sad it's a felony. I can tell you right now the prosecution will argue that your out of state cards are expired. That's two arguments against you.

Is there an affirmable defense for medical need in arizona? If you just so happened to have a med card to slip by and get high than that's no good. You would need a qualified by the state of arizona law medical diagnosis. Not some fake ailment but bonafide stuff.

They may also want to pleade down to probation for a guilty plea. Talk it over with a lawyer and read up on cases like yours in arizona. A lawyer will likely be shitty legal advise unless you have tens of thousands of dollars.

MF Grimm

Broski,

Take a deep breath and don't even sweat this baby boo.

They are absolutely not going to convict you on a felony, especially if this is your first offence.

Lawyer up, get your med card, they will make you pay a fine and do TASC and it will be wittled down to a misdemeanor.

If they don't give you a good deal, tell them you want to go to trial. No way a jury is going to convict you on a minor possession charge. The state isn't going to want to spend the resources on this, they want you to plea out so the get that sweet fine $$$ and money for TASC.

Turn the tables on them and put the ball in their court. You think they are going to spend thousands in court and attorney fees to bring you justice? It's all a cost/benefit thing for them.

MF Grimm

I'm confident your lawyer will get you out of this one, and if he won't, I can recommend you a good one.

He got all my felony cultivation, sales, and possession charges completely dropped. Only $8k in legal fees. Considered it a bargain compared to my buddy in Cali that was out $60k for his lawyer when he got caught with 2 boxes out of Mendo.

Easy7

Veteran
I wouldn't bet he won't get a felony. Only way that occurs is RATTING. Bringing a NARC on deals.

Best bet is plea down. A good lawyer might be able to argue at the plea deal. But a judge has to approve that. As well as the prosecutor, who's the one making the 'offer'. A good lawyer will negotiate terms.

Maybe just maybe it will be a misdemeanor offense he pleads guilty to. Most likely a felony with probation and max fines. That's the standard deal. Don't expect less unless there are valid arguments such as being specific disability for state mj card.

billycw

Veteran
Greetings
PM me!

Anything under an oz qualifies for the failed medical bill prop 200, which basically starts as a felony 6 and rolls to a misdemeanor after you complete tasc and like 300 community hours with a $1,000 fine (not counting court cost, tasc fee's and probation fee's). Its what the prosecution usually offers as the plea for possession...

Anything more get a good lawyer! Wish you luck :tumbleweed:

M

moose eater

OP, maybe I missed it, but please define "a small amount of weed."

Per Billy CW's post, the amount in question, even if only slightly over an oz., matters.

midwestkid

Veteran
I'm not sure on the quantity honestly. I had a couple different varieties from last year's grow... I don't think it was an ounce though?

therevverend

Veteran
Impressed by the bullshittiness of Arizona's laws. Possession anywhere up to 2 lbs is a felony 6 months-2 years. Max fine $150k. Fuck that place. Although it'd be lovely to grow there.
You'll probably get probation. But there's no caveat that under an ounce gets treated differently then over an ounce.
This is a poor place to get legal advice. If you haven't talked to a lawyer do so it's free. If you can't afford one the state of Arizona would be delighted to give you one on loan. You'll be paying them back when you're convicted and fined.
For a rundown of the Arizona penal system, what it does to society, and the rampant recidivism that goes on there I recommend the movie Raising Arizona.

billycw

Veteran
Impressed by the bullshittiness of Arizona's laws. Possession anywhere up to 2 lbs is a felony 6 months-2 years. Max fine $150k. Fuck that place. Although it'd be lovely to grow there.
You'll probably get probation. But there's no caveat that under an ounce gets treated differently then over an ounce.

"Under the Arizona legislation Proposition 200 (i.e. “Prop 200″), judges are prohibited from sending first or second time nonviolent drug offenders to prison until their third conviction, even if convicted on felony drug violations. The judge may only sentence the defendant to a term of probation and mandatory drug treatment."

Under Prop 200 voted on in 1996, anything under an OZ is automatically pushed to drug court to 'free up the courts', anything over an OZ up to 2lb can be pleaded into prop 200 but is treated differently in the court system and recommend to lawyer up.

Penalties under prop 200 are $1,000 fine, required completion of TASC and completion of 280 community service hours (think it was either 260 or 280 but can remember exactly). Charge starts as a Felony 6 dropping to a misdemeanor after completion of the program.

Don't believe me don't care, best answer you'll get on the internet...

This is a poor place to get legal advice.

Your right there, the forums aren't what they used to be.

U

Ununionized

Yeah, keep stalling them. I lived in Arizona and they popped me for my stash a couple of times. They're letting people off with less, left and right.

Tell em your life is over, this is a catastrophe, this is horrible, and when they say "Well, at least you'll be out to s**** in the park to pay these fines so we can all drive new cars and be called lawyers,"

STONE COLD as ICE tell them ALL - "what's the USE -
my life is

OVER!!!!"

Look; ever watch law & order? Ever notice the guy on the street - he always says the same thing, and the guys who get busted, who protest - all say the same thing?

That's because you CAN guilt trip them back. If you got a lawyer, you go on like somebody cut your nose off with a razor blade. Make him FEEL it - even if it's just a call. Make him able to CONVEY to the assistant district attorney, some kid from the local college working up some contacts before going out on her on, that - you're one un happy motherfucker.

And don't let that shit slip out as rebellion cause then you'll get THAT version of "law and order."

Act like your live has been eviscerated. Don't ever let up no matter how fucking sane everybody says start acting. Make faces like every signed paper makes you want to throw up on the forms.

Hey - you do your shit right and they're embarrassed to see you going on about it in the court room. I was an activist, I told a few attorneys and judges to f** off.

These people can be played some. We managed to get pot legal in 20-somethin states, when I started fuckin with em - there wasn't legal pot in even California yet: not ONE.

So kinda figure how you're gonna do. If it's really gonna be best to be nice, fine... do it. Generally these kinds of laws are what keep lawyers working and doing each other favors so the deal is you hire a lawyer you get the minimum.

On the other hand

if you get a public pretender you get the minimum too.

If you're paying for a lawyer you should ask that it all be dropped so you can "get on with your life, " when you've paid all your fines.

Those no good assholes know that pot's not harmful and that it's THEM dying of opioids. So you aren't the scum of the earth although they'll make it a real point not to smile at anything you do.

I'm just lettin you know that should the worst happen and you don't get a lawyer, don't sweat it too much. Those assholes ARE going to steal from you, yes. Their kids get shit for chrismas because they're government employees, fuck your wife and kids. You're buyin this year.

On the other hand they also know about people coming unhinged from unfair shit and going off like a roman candle so - they get kinda treading light sometimes when they actually have to talk to you, to your face, about terms. Don't be too afraid of em, it's an extortion game.

Government employees

duck and dodge and claim it's just pert near impossible to ketch innie uh thim real criminals... cawse thay's dangerous and whatnot

but you - you're honest so you're gonna get shaken down. How much you complain is up to you.

U

Ununionized

"Why am I being criminalized, I'm not the one who thought taking opioids would keep me off opioids." (Point to your own head) "I have sense enough to know pot's not like heroin. I have sense to know it's not" (make hands like apostrophes around a phrase when you say "Worse for me than methyl amphetamine! It seems like with you people squealing about how you're all dying from opiates, you'd look over and see where pot's legal they have an immediate 25% reduction in opioid O.D.s."

Let em try that shit on for size. Practice it in a mirror.

midwestkid

Veteran
Well I'd like to thank you all for your input. I've spent lots of money on a lawyer and from what I see it's all about how much money they are able to collect from you. It's a crock of shit but the more you pay the less punishment you receive. I have to defend my record for sake of my career. So I've given them lots this year. It's a fucked up system. I'm ready for change. Change please. I just want the scheduling changed. It's not as deadly as coffee