Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > Justiceman's Root Health Tutorial

Thread Title Search
Justiceman's Root Health Tutorial Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2018, 08:03 PM #41
bunz420

bunz420 is on a distinguished road
Great thread justiceman, very informative! Currently on my 2nd attempt at coco, hoping to have some pearly whites like yours lol.
bunz420 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:31 PM #42
UniaoHemp

UniaoHemp is on a distinguished road
Is your coconut aerated or can it retain water for a good period?

Here in Brazil I have one that is aerated and another that retains, what would be the best in your opinion?

Thanks
UniaoHemp is offline Quote

Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 PM #43
justiceman

justiceman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to all
Apologies about some of the late reply's here. I've been busy but I have a new run going on in my journal at the moment(finally right?). Feel free to check it out fellow blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siftedunity View Post
Thank you for posting this thread, sadly when people come and post successes, there's always naysayers. I think this may be because they have been unable to make it work for them. Locdog, the pictures and advice speak for themselves. If you can't make it work for you, why not post some pictures and ask for some advice? that will be more beneficial to you and this thread. Bashing the method is gonna be pretty fruitless since it's proven to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnEyes View Post
@justiceman- Thank you so much for posting this thread! Its very helpful to newbies like me. I JUST popped some seeds and started my very first coco grow. Seedlings are looking decent so far. Fingers crossed that they continue that way!
Right on. Coco is awesome I hope everything turned out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvanboro View Post
Awesome thread! I've been growing in pure coco since I started growing! I just switched to Veg+Bloom Ro/Soft after a lot of research.
You said after the seedlings break the surface you start feeding every day right? I just wanted to make sure.
That's what I've been doing at 0.7 EC, VB + 150ppm CalMag
Everything is looking good so far except 2 of them are growing kind of funky, but it's a tester strain so who knows.
Thanks for all the shared knowledge! Much appreciated!
Yup feeds everyday in coco is a necessity. You might be seeing funky growth from .7EC. It's slightly high for seedlings as this stuff goes a long way but hard to say without pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borner View Post
Dear sir,

I've been reading about coco feeding techniques and your thread just goes like a cherry on a top of threads like DJMs, HGOs and so on..
I might've missed it, do you watch your VPD? what ranges do you follow, how about humidity in general?

Thank you! and keep on rocking!
Thanks! I do not watch my VPD. I would like to but my room isn't dialed in to that level of environmental control at this time. My temps/humidity usually hover around 66-76F currently with humidity hovering pretty much around 48-55% if I recall correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J View Post
Nice thread bud! Hey where do you keep your p.h at? Do you airstones in the res?
It's usually hovering around 5.8-6.0. No airtstones in my res I just have a small submersible pump that turns on once or twice a day to move the water around a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativan View Post
I'm going to keep doing water and nutes the way I have been because the results of my methods is a plant that's extremely vibrant and healthy.

I look at my plant/s and make judgments based on that. So far it works very well.
You know what they say. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo4200 View Post
Great thread that I've read before but read again and it reminded of my watering practices. When the container is small just feed a small amount, don't over saturate the coco.

Thanks again Justice.
Right on bobbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkaboy View Post
Wow. This really should be a sticky.

Thank you for taking the time.
No problem. I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunz420 View Post
Great thread justiceman, very informative! Currently on my 2nd attempt at coco, hoping to have some pearly whites like yours lol.
You will just keep on going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniaoHemp View Post
Is your coconut aerated or can it retain water for a good period?

Here in Brazil I have one that is aerated and another that retains, what would be the best in your opinion?

Thanks
I know that you can get coco pith(the main bulk of coco coir) mixed with more or less coco fibers(looks like thick animal hair) to adjust the drainage rate but it sound strange to me that you have an aerated option and retaining option.

The coco around here generally comes in a standard ratio although I'm unsure what it is. Mostly pith and just a little bit of fibers is the ticket with nothing else in it. Fibers don't hold on to nutrients like the pith does.

I'm interested to hear what makes one aerated and other a water retainer. Is the aerated coco mixed with perlite perhaps? If so both are good. I prefer 100% coco but coco/perlite mixes work very well. coco/perlite mixes tend to need even more frequent irrigation.
justiceman is offline Quote

Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 PM #44
UniaoHemp

UniaoHemp is on a distinguished road
I used perlite with coconut and I did not like it.
Already 100% coconut have achieved better results with the hempy bucket.
I want to start a new attempt with dtw
The aerated coconut I say has mixture with the coconut + granulated massacapo.
And the other retention is only 100% granulated.

These are the coconut I say

aerated option https://www.amafibra.com.br/produtos/misto/

retaining option: https://www.amafibra.com.br/produtos/granulado/
UniaoHemp is offline Quote

Old 04-30-2018, 02:36 PM #45
sethimus

sethimus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiceman View Post

I'm interested to hear what makes one aerated and other a water retainer. Is the aerated coco mixed with perlite perhaps? If so both are good. I prefer 100% coco but coco/perlite mixes work very well. coco/perlite mixes tend to need even more frequent irrigation.
ugro also offers two different mixes:

https://ugrococo.com/two-structures/
sethimus is offline Quote

Old 04-30-2018, 08:15 PM #46
justiceman

justiceman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to alljusticeman is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniaoHemp View Post
I used perlite with coconut and I did not like it.
Already 100% coconut have achieved better results with the hempy bucket.
I want to start a new attempt with dtw
The aerated coconut I say has mixture with the coconut + granulated massacapo.
And the other retention is only 100% granulated.

These are the coconut I say

aerated option https://www.amafibra.com.br/produtos/misto/

retaining option: https://www.amafibra.com.br/produtos/granulado/
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethimus View Post
ugro also offers two different mixes:

https://ugrococo.com/two-structures/
I'm unable to read about those products. Mind telling me what granulated massacapo is? If they are anything like what sethimus posted I'd go with the medium that has less fiber and chips(forgot about those), but I'm sure both are great depending on your application and needs/wants for irrigation timing.

Just remember that the mix which holds more air will need more frequent feeds.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:56 PM #47
shishkaboy
>>>>Beanie Man<<<<

shishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant futureshishkaboy has a brilliant future
Seriously, I had heard about watering coco daily before but something about the way you explained it made it stick. After just a few days of daily drenches and the difference is clear.

Ill post a pic as soon as I can see roots.
shishkaboy is offline Quote

Old 05-06-2018, 11:23 AM #48
Goats

Goats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to allGoats is a name known to all
good thread.

i run smart pots of pure coco in flood and drain using jacks 321. when watering only once/day i got bad salt buildup.

i flood for 10 minutes, 3 times/day now and plants are loving it. anyone saying watering coco daily or more isn't correct hasn't tried it i think.
Goats is offline Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 12:57 AM #49
Green989
'Lst Compulsive'

Green989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to allGreen989 is a name known to all
Wow man! It's incredible!
Really, really thx for your contribute!!
Fa' la differenza.”

"Il tempo e la pazienza possono più, della forza o della rabbia"
"Non ti curar di loro ma guarda e passa"
Thread unico-->Mr. Green's Dream

Cit. •Sharing is Caring•
Green989 is offline Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 09:49 AM #50
justiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkaboy View Post
Seriously, I had heard about watering coco daily before but something about the way you explained it made it stick. After just a few days of daily drenches and the difference is clear.

Ill post a pic as soon as I can see roots.
I'm glad to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goats View Post
good thread.

i run smart pots of pure coco in flood and drain using jacks 321. when watering only once/day i got bad salt buildup.

i flood for 10 minutes, 3 times/day now and plants are loving it. anyone saying watering coco daily or more isn't correct hasn't tried it i think.
Right on Goats. Indeed the more frequent the feeds the easier it is to maintain IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green989 View Post
Wow man! It's incredible!
Really, really thx for your contribute!!
Thank you! I wanted to make this tutorial to help give back to the community that taught me so much.

---------------------------------------------

Might as well post up a few root shots from the latest run while I'm here. Coco Hempy's are fun. Even the roots that sat in the passive reservoir stayed white and healthy because the oxygen levels were renewed daily.

7 members found this post helpful.