Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > 1st coco grow.. scrog or tree yield test?

Thread Title Search
1st coco grow.. scrog or tree yield test? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2015, 02:37 AM #1
Pumpkin

Pumpkin will become famous soon enoughPumpkin will become famous soon enoughPumpkin will become famous soon enough
1st coco grow.. scrog or tree yield test?

Just doing a test to see if scrog or natural yields best.. it's a bet with the missus. Not all the same clones... so not the most scientific test. Nor am I very good at this screen thing.

Poor quality hps photos sorry.

Veg

Day one flower

Week 2 flower

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012623.jpg
Views:	1787
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	321485 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012655.jpg
Views:	1787
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	321486 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012671.jpg
Views:	1788
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	321487 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012672.jpg
Views:	1781
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	321488
Pumpkin is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:43 AM #2
newtothiscoco

hey Pumpkin nice thread and trees gona grap a seat

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:04 AM #3
Witheridge

Witheridge is on a distinguished road
Nice comparo . Thanks for putting this up
Witheridge is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2015, 10:24 AM #4
JamieShoes
Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer

JamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud of
JamieShoes has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
I did the exact same thing on my first ever grow.. half scrog, half tree...trying new stuff is fun eh

so far your garden looks lush mate... long may it continue

JamieShoes is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2015, 10:56 AM #5
Pumpkin

Pumpkin will become famous soon enoughPumpkin will become famous soon enoughPumpkin will become famous soon enough
So which side won in your garden JamieShoes?

My girl's money is on the trees... and to be honest I'm a little worried :|

scrog is a lot more work... it's going to have to smash the trees in yield for it to be worthwhile.
Pumpkin is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2015, 11:52 AM #6
panick503

panick503 has a spectacular aura aboutpanick503 has a spectacular aura aboutpanick503 has a spectacular aura aboutpanick503 has a spectacular aura about
Looks like u did a bit of work on the trees too... are they lst'd?
panick503 is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 PM #7
Pumpkin

Haven't touched one leaf on the trees and won't through to harvest. I put some string for support.. but they will just grow through that naturally.

All the plants are revegetated clones from early flower. So that's why the growth pattern is so weird and branchy. It has helped give the trees a more even/unnatural canopy.

I'm going to prune the undergrowth of the scrog... it's very awkward to get under there. Started today.. and will take a couple more days to clear that out. The test is as much touched plants vs untouched plants.

Enjoying coco very much so far. All my previous grows have been in soil.
Pumpkin is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2015, 12:44 PM #8
JamieShoes
Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer

JamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud ofJamieShoes has much to be proud of
JamieShoes has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
So which side won in your garden JamieShoes?

My girl's money is on the trees... and to be honest I'm a little worried :|

scrog is a lot more work... it's going to have to smash the trees in yield for it to be worthwhile.
what I found was the scrog did yield more but... in order to fill a screen in situ I have to run a tent on 18/6 for up to 6 weeks.. if I veg my trees in a separate area under CFL (big ones) then I find that I can ultimate achieve more weight from the same area of the same period.. because I then have a constant 12/12 area with no down time...

so it's a trade off... if I was stuck with one single area and a small number of plants I would scrog, but as I can veg elsewhere then it makes more sense to grow trees for me..

besides..there's something very satisfying about standing amongst my shoulder height ladies .. I can almost imagine I'm out in the fields lol

Here's the results... you'll see I did coco vs soil, coco scrog vs soil scrog.. haha, was fairly epic for a first go now I think about it

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=422

the work you mention, I clear out the bottom 3rd, I find that as they get to be in excess of 4.5 foot, the light penetration down the bottom is not enough to develop anything decent so I prefer to let a plant concentrate her energies on the main colas

JamieShoes is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2015, 01:04 PM #9
Pumpkin

Things got a bit messed up timing wise... went on holidays... hence reveged flowering clones and some veg time in the flower tent. Trees are definitely more satisfying and natural to be around. There is something nicer about letting nature be, rather that stressing it with heavy handed manipulation. But there is also something nice about more weed as well. I assume my ultimate compromise will be a hybrid of both techniques. Some gentle training and support, where the plants need it most to even the canopy and use light in an effective manner, without feeling like I'm torturing the poor girls.
Pumpkin is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 PM #10
Pumpkin

"I clear out the bottom 3rd, I find that as they get to be in excess of 4.5 foot, the light penetration down the bottom is not enough to develop anything decent so I prefer to let a plant concentrate her energies on the main colas"

My girl is trimming the trees and me the scrog. So she has to deal with the horrible bottom buds at harvest time and not me It's her side and she won't let me prune it (at all)... she wasn't even that happy about the string. I don't mind letting her suffer with the scissors for our little experiment

I'm totally with you in theory though.. and I even prune the insides/bottoms off my outdoor plants.
Pumpkin is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.