What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there any ....

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello Tropical Rain,

Charlie, a member of our collective, has been distributing this year pure meao thai seeds acclimatized a few generations to Spain. It's the thai line mother of CBG's Destroyer hybrid, an excellent highland thai with very high resin production for a pure sativa, strong motivational high, classic thai lemony/citric aromas . Flowering time is around 14-16 weeks, finishing 1 month earlier than other thais and without hermie problems. Stock was low so there was not a 'official' distirbution.

We are testing at the moment a lowland koh chang island thai mother x green (south asian pheno) haze male F1 hybrid.

Thanks for the interest! dubi

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sorry Tropical Rain,

I have never smoked or grown old chocolate thai, can not help you with this one.

Here's koh chang island thai mother grown from clone outdoors, she finished around 2-3rd week of January.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Chocolate Thai

The Chocolate Thai was another being entirely. Chocolate Thai came in larger wrapped sticks of a deep, rich, roasted coffee color and a coffee-chocolate aroma that was heavenly. It is my uncertain estimation that the Chocolate Thai was a lowland variety.

The imported product itself was unique not only in its aroma and flavor but in its strength as well. This was a dreamy, sleepy, narcotic high that was long lasting and consistent. The aroma possessed a deep, rich chocolate, appeal.

The seeds, many of which were pure black, were extremely small and round. They were few in numbers and only a few would sprout. The plants that did survive were terribly difficult to grow, and all were hermaphroditic. The leaves were long, dark and slender, with most sprouting trichomes early on. This strain was successfully crossed with the Oaxaca Highland to create what came to be known as Purple Thai." :D :D :D

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
They are not great pics but last 3 are thai koh chang finishing in January.

Thanks raco for the info :)

Chocolate Thai

Chocolate Thai

Old thread..lol

The Chocolate Thai is a lowland Thai varietal with a trippy, spacey quality and somewhat narcotic. I 1st smoked Chocolate Thai in the 80's from some growers that had it for 75 US dollars an eighth when 25 dollars bought you some nice green bud or high grade Mexican. The taste was amazing and thick with a mint chocolate smell and it tasted of fine fresh ground coffee when smoked. The high was a good 5 to 7 hours and very satisfying. Some lowland Lao varietals have the same chocolate taste and effect. Here is a pic from July and has shown sex in August as a male.

Mota :joint:

if you dubi or anyone else knows please feel free to chime in.

but does one know the origins of the Chocolate thai?

searched high and low for this one, and came close but didn't succeed in securing it.

I'd sure love to here a history or a tale on the chocolate thai?

Or is it simply an ignorance and just refering to any thai line the produces a chocolate taste/smell?

thanks dubi

later

Attachments

• choco Thai 09.jpg
    choco Thai 09.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Chocolate Thai Male.jpg
    Chocolate Thai Male.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 11
E

ElectroSticky

nice thread ... i remember seeing a clip of GN @ jamaica making hash with the bubbleman , and the bubbleman talking about how the jamaican bud reminded him of the chocolate thai , what cought my attention is that he says he went to thailand looking for these weed and find out that most of that cannabis came from cambodia ... i know thailand , cambodia & vietnam are neighboors , but so are panama , colombia & brazil .. and they all have different landraces ...

keep it green dubi! peace °

OrganicMeds

The most chocolate/coffee earthy strain I have had from South East Asia was a Borneo Lowlands Sativa......

Dries brown with next to no hairs but lot's of tiny gold trich's, looked very unimpresive but boy of boy did she stop a party or two ;)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Digging Up Old Bones

Digging Up Old Bones

"Chocolate Thai

The Chocolate Thai was another being entirely. Chocolate Thai came in larger wrapped sticks of a deep, rich, roasted coffee color and a coffee-chocolate aroma that was heavenly. It is my uncertain estimation that the Chocolate Thai was a lowland variety.

The imported product itself was unique not only in its aroma and flavor but in its strength as well. This was a dreamy, sleepy, narcotic high that was long lasting and consistent. The aroma possessed a deep, rich chocolate, appeal.

The seeds, many of which were pure black, were extremely small and round. They were few in numbers and only a few would sprout. The plants that did survive were terribly difficult to grow, and all were hermaphroditic. The leaves were long, dark and slender, with most sprouting trichomes early on. This strain was successfully crossed with the Oaxaca Highland to create what came to be known as Purple Thai." :D :D :D

Greetings,

I hope no one minds me temporarily raising this thread up from the dead. I'm on vacation from work and have been spending a lot of time on ICMAG posting and researching. Today's subject matter, Thai, what else? More specifically, my realization of how entirely different Thai strains can be. My experience is vastly different from Raco's posting of the Chocolate Thai.

My limited Thai experience was from my childhood. I had a regular once yearly supply from the same source. The sticks were very skinny. Tiny, tiny, buds wrapped around what I thought was a thin piece of bamboo. They were brown and dark army green in color and had a citrus rind, peppery, metallic smell and taste.

The effects were energetic and paranoia inducing which puts most people off. I didn't care, because the paranoia would wear off as I would reach the peak of the high, and I would be left with the most trippy feeling other than mushrooms or acid. By trippy, I mean that the even common everyday things seemed new and wondrous, like I was looking at them for the first time ever. I would never feel tired during or after smoking. As the effects wore off, I would not feel any type of hang over. It was as clean as could be. I have experienced this effect in only two other strains. One was Sumatran, which had huge golden brown buds by comparison. The Sumatran buds were actually small by today's standards. The other strain was a particular Neville's Haze individual that had even smaller buds when I grew it indoors. So small, that I stopped growing it even though it was the best, and most Thai-like that I have ever grown.

The Thai Sticks did have an occasional seed in them. The seeds from those Thai Sticks were the largest seeds that I have ever seen. Such a contrast from the Chocolate Thai report above from Raco's post. They were all grey, but a type of mottling could be seen on close inspection. It made the seeds look like they had cracks all around. You could barely see these because the two tones of grey were so close in color.

The last batch of Thai weed that I ever got was not wrapped. It came loose in a bag, but was probably pressed at some point. It was loaded with seeds. Judging from the effects, the color, and the look of the seeds, it was still the same strain. I saved and grew some of these seeds.

These plants had the skinniest leaves that I have ever seen. They were even skinny from the first sets of leaves to grow, even though they did get skinnier as the more mature leaves grew out. The middle leaflet was significantly longer than the next one from the center. And again, the next leaflet was much longer than the following one. In addition, there were not very many leaflets compared to other extreme sativa varieties such as Mexican, Jamaican, Colombian, and others that can have large number of leaflets per leaf. These varieties can have 11, 13, or even 15 leaflets per leaf. If I remember correctly, this Thai had five or seven as a common leaflet count. They also stuck straight out, flat as a board. The serrations were also very jagged, but not sharply angled like some I have seen.

The internode length was extreme. They had very skinny but also very stiff and strong stems. There was no drooping or bending at all. At the leaf nodes, there was a significant knot where the stem was wider. The overall effect of internode length and leaves and stems that did not droop at all, made the plant look very bamboo like. I have seen two other strains that remind me of bamboo, Vietnam Black, and Highland Oaxacan Gold. But these strains look much more robust due to thicker looking stems even though they look like they bend a bit. They don't have that "shoot straight up to the sky" look like that Thai did.

The last trait that was in contrast to so many other Thai strains that I have heard about, was the time it takes to mature the buds. I have heard many times people say that if it is ripe before 20 weeks, it is not pure Thai. I remember that mine matured in 12 weeks. It was a long time ago but I remember growing it with a bunch of other indica dominant strains that took about 2 months to flower. I remember the Thai taking about a month longer than all the rest. This Thai may have taken 16 weeks at most. I've thought of travelling to Thailand to look for it. If I do, I would look on a map for the highest valley surrounded and protected by mountains in Thailand and start my search there.

The buds were small but very well formed and distinct from the leaves. They were airy, but not at all leafy. They did not stack up except slightly at the tops of the branches. The plants were fairly well branched, but upright in general shape, matching the linear leaf shape. I don't know if there would have been a main stem because I believe I cut it back once. The leaves, the stems, and the flowers all seemed very distinct from each other. The flowers were not hermaphroditic at all, so males were also very distinct from the female. I don't remember if any of the leaves had resin on them, but I don't think so. The buds also ripened evenly, without any foxtailing. The pistils died off at about the same time.

That weed was one of the top 3 best I have ever grown in my 43 years of slipping seeds in the ground. Because it produced so little, took so long, and people scoffed at it due to the small airy buds, I foolishly let this strain slip through my fingers. In retrospect, it was probably the most perfect plant I have ever seen or grown.

Actually, I killed it, and it may now be extinct for all I know. I feel responsible, and I'm dedicated to creating another true breeding one to replace it, even if it takes the rest of my life. I want something with similar effects. It would be a bonus if I could grow it outdoors here at 42 degrees north, but I'm not asking for much, am I?

:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Very inspiring post ThaiBliss, I really appreciate that you share some of your holiday free time with us :)

I have never grown a pure thai that finishes in less than 16 weeks but of course i have not grown all of them. It's curious how many people say the old thai was one of their all time favourite smokes, but very few are growing thai sativas nowadays.

My best thai experience was with Koh Chang thai, the mother of Double Thai, the effect is incredible clean, motivational and refreshing, perfect for activities. The closest we offer in seed form is Double Thai.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
It's curious how many people say the old thai was one of their all time favourite smokes, but very few are growing thai sativas nowadays.

Hi Dubi,

I think that the old Thai weed was not everyone's cup of tea because of the side effects. While I can no longer tolerate weed that makes me feel tired, there are probably many more people who cannot tolerate the adrenalin rush of it. I believe that the people that did like it felt strongly about it due to the extreme potency and unique effect. Unfortunately, it is a very difficult strain to grow. Most Thai strains are the longest flowering strains, and they produce so little compared to the size of the plant. Thai weed has a lot going against it.

I think the more weed is like psilocybin, the better it is. Since I don't mind the overly energetic phase before the peak of the high, and I am not concerned about commercial qualities, this makes it my best option. This certainly puts me in a tiny minority of growing enthusiasts.

It sounds like your Double Thai would be a good strain, and a rare offering. It is very hard not to take the path of trying to moderate the inherent difficulties of growing Thai by crossing it with an easier and faster strain. I'm not quite sure that the unique properties can be preserved while doing this. The only other strains that I have seen this type of high expressed are Sumatran and Haze. It sounds like Zamal might have these qualities, and I believe you grew one that finished in early November. That is why I chose to try Zamaldelica. It also has Meao Thai in it.

:biggrin:

Cheers,

ThaiBliss

oh my!

oh my!

Hello Tropical Rain,

Charlie, a member of our collective, has been distributing this year pure meao thai seeds acclimatized a few generations to Spain. It's the thai line mother of CBG's Destroyer hybrid, an excellent highland thai with very high resin production for a pure sativa, strong motivational high, classic thai lemony/citric aromas . Flowering time is around 14-16 weeks, finishing 1 month earlier than other thais and without hermie problems. Stock was low so there was not a 'official' distirbution.

We are testing at the moment a lowland koh chang island thai mother x green (south asian pheno) haze male F1 hybrid.

Thanks for the interest! dubi
Oh my god! all your strains are so interesting. i'm so fed up of smoking basic indica strains! ineed a kick of pys-sativas!

Thx people!

Rastafarith

Hi Dubi!
Im just wondering that what nutrients did you use for Koh Chang ? I am growing thai Landrace and i just wanted an advice on how to dense up the buds without using chemical nutrients.
Thank you

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome Rastafarith,

Thai sativas love constant warm temps and strong light intensity, light feeding is recommended, especially soft in Nitrogen. They work best when planted outdoors in a rich soil and sunny location, they grow and grow with much lesser feeding needs than modern hybrid strains.

Hope it helps, let me know if you have any other doubt. Best regards, dubi