What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

caught mold or mildew in very early stages...best course of action?

SweetJ138

we had a long day of flash flood warning rain last yesterday. I went to bed a bit paranoid about mold on my outdoor potted Durban Poison plants, but i opted to just leave them alone and hope for the best. Well today, i loaped the top cola, and it looks like i'm seeing the first small hairs of mold or mildew. Its not trichromes, looks like ultra fine white hairs only visable with the loap and very light. I misted them really well with a hydrogen paroxide solution and am letting them dry off in the sun. I also cut the fan leaves down around the top cola a bit to lighten the foliage. Is there anything else i should do? should i just chop the whole top and try and dry it now before it gets worse, or should i keep it growing?

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I've been using Prestop biofungicide against the mold here and it's proven to be very effective.
I would recommend giving it a try if you need to give your plants more time and need to combat mold.

steasy88

Make sure when you are cutting it down to put a bag around the nugget that has the mold as not to disturb the mold spores because they will attack other plants and nuggets I've had that problem this year and lost all my outdoor plants bummer hope ur have caught it in time all the best bro

Andyo

Veteran
breeding to include mold resistance

breeding to include mold resistance

For over 40 years ive selected for potency and mold resistance and amongst those ive selected for yield
I think this is a problem,its not being considered in breeding.A

troutman

Seed Whore
For over 40 years ive selected for potency and mold resistance and amongst those ive selected for yield
I think this is a problem,its not being considered in breeding.A

I think lack of mold resistance is one of the biggest issues with indoor bred plants.

Indoor plants don't get tough like outdoor plants.

M

moose eater

As stated above, isolate, cut, and remove any affected areas.

If there's any way to increase air movement around plants or buds that might be vulnerable, but are not yet affected, that may be your best move.. A fan running on a deck or balcony may look odd to passers-by, but....

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I have pure Sativas here on my windy balcony, with Mildew... I believe that it comes from the forest here, Oak trees

To get rid of it, wash the plants a couple of times with a Peroxide wash, as always, with a dash of soap to make it spread

Then, Bicarb wash, this changes the pH on the leaf surface, and really gets rid of the PM. After several months, a couple of my satias started to show some coming back, but they will just get another spray of the bicarb,

Please don't use poisons, especially Eagle 20, they are neither safe or needed.

yts farmer

Veteran
Cut the buds off the stems into smaller pieces.

There used to be a product called bud rot stop from hydrogarden.

Never used it myself.

Peace.

try milk 50/50 with water
but tbh whatever you spray on the buds you will taste later.
if outdoors its the over night wetness that the pm/mold will set so you can try early morning washes with a jet of water then shake dry

as said, the ph is a critical point, milk in 50/50 will help, potassium bicarbonate will do it too, onion/garlic tea of 50gramms/1litre. horsetail tea will help against deseases in general.

if you can see some tiny hairs, it means all of your plant is fully colonized by tha mushroom(fungus) and it starts to flower, that is the hair that you see. removing or isolating the bud will lead to reduces airflow and to even more mould, and removing too many fanleaves will weaken the plant even more at a certain point.

best you can do is to feed the plant a nice microbe tea high in P and less N, foliar feed/spray neemoil,horsetail,milk or potassium bicarbonate and remove the moldy parts with a sharp scissors. and then praying for a few sunny days and dry windy nights!
but dont panic too early and chop eary you can do a lot against moulds if the weather is right!

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Forgot to add, yes, I also tried Milk... it does work, to an extent, but what is working is Lactobacillus, more the better, I could not get enough strong lactobacillus mix/ rich milk quickly enough, so went to Bicarb

mushroombrew

Veteran
I had a run in with an aggressive PM fairly recently. It loves american genetics. Won't touch dutch shit.

I have tried all the remedies. This is the best mix. Except for Eagle haha! Don't use eagle on buds ever please...

1 Gallon Water
1 TBSP Baking Soda
1 TBSP Dawn
2 TBSP Oil I use Canola

If I super saturated the buds hairs did die off. But plant recovered in 48hrs. A light mist dosen't hurt them at all.
New PM will NOT re infect any plant tissue that has been treated. Unless your plant is in the rain as it will wash off and need to be reapplied.

I always dunk fresh buds in a 5G bucket of water before trimming. Removes sprays and bugs...

PM is not good to smoke. And can make buds smell moldy. Hopefully its not deep in the flowers yet.

If at all possible get a big fan on the plant.(reduce RH) After treatment please or you will blow spores all over.

nice chaos and mushroombrew. thanks for more 1st hand information!
what is DAWN please? sticker/spreader or what? whats the ingredients?
instead of baking soda i could take bicarb, and the canolaoil is the cheaperst around, do you take it because its available at the store or has is special propperties too?
I heard about washing the crop after harvest... will see if i dry outdoors or indoors, initial plan was to dry OD but im done by november, can snow at that time, so have to figure out a new plan..
eagle90 is pure poison, please dont spray it on anything.. dont smoke it please dont sell it to people, money isnt worth that
i am afraid of using liquid copper since they say to wash the vegetables good before eating, dipping it into 5gal water wouldnt help im sure but it would work good with bicarb and soda since they water soluble really easy. again this would need to be wet trimmed. but with large od crops its better to wet trim anyway.

@chaoscatulunja
I see lactobacillus will colonize a plant soaked in milk within hours, but there has to be a lactobacillus colony...
do you think i could bubble milk and make milk act with lactobacillus en masse?
i have no microscope, but since im so interested in act i am really considering buying one.
EM1 has bacillus stems of photo,yeast and LACTO
when i bubble milk with EM1 might i get the lacto bacteria growing?

M

moose eater

'Dawn' is a common, name-brand dish washing liquid. Also sometimes used in very slight amounts (like a couple drops to a gallon of H2O) to initially hydrate peat-based or other mediums that are slow in up-take of water when the material is dry. It acts as a 'clinging' agent in helping to hydrate soils, or, in this case, to help the Rx stick to the plant material and evenly distribute it.

instead of baking soda i could take bicarb, and the canolaoil is the cheaperst around, do you take it because its available at the store or has is special propperties too?
I heard about washing the crop after harvest... will see if i dry outdoors or indoors, initial plan was to dry OD but im done by november, can snow at that time, so have to figure out a new plan..
eagle90 is pure poison, please dont spray it on anything.. dont smoke it please dont sell it to people, money isnt worth that
i am afraid of using liquid copper since they say to wash the vegetables good before eating, dipping it into 5gal water wouldnt help im sure but it would work good with bicarb and soda since they water soluble really easy. again this would need to be wet trimmed. but with large od crops its better to wet trim anyway.

@chaoscatulunja
I see lactobacillus will colonize a plant soaked in milk within hours, but there has to be a lactobacillus colony...
i have no microscope, but since im so interested in act i am really considering buying one.

mushroombrew

Veteran

@chaoscatulunja

I use canola because it is a light clean oil. I cook with olive oil but it has too many impurities for a spray. make sense?

Dawn is non toxic and biodegradable dish soap. It acts as a surfactant.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran

@chaoscatulunja

Lactobacillus seems like really good shit, the more you read. Yes, it is the active part of milk in fighting PM, so I also looked at recipes for cultivating it, not too difficult*, but life got in the way and I ended up switching to Bicarb, and could not be happier.

* something like ..rice water,plus the clear layer siphoned. left, filtered, not too difficult

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Mold aka Budrot and Mildew aka Powdery Mildew are two different beasts with two different approaches to treating them.

Spraying is fine if you just have PM but if you are starting to see Budrot the last thing you want to do is start adding more moisture to your flowers by spraying them down with this that and the other.

Mold aka Budrot and Mildew aka Powdery Mildew are two different beasts with two different approaches to treating them.

Spraying is fine if you just have PM but if you are starting to see Budrot the last thing you want to do is start adding more moisture to your flowers by spraying them down with this that and the other.

1st: Your right, i dont want this to get mixed, i am just trying to cover both topics. mold is not PM!
both are a fungus. and both can be cured and prevented.
2nd: thats not right..
if you soak your bud with fuel or wodka, it is not going to mold :), if you soak it with chlorine too.
simmilar thing with biofungicides like neem, soaps, horsetail, bicarbonate and milk... if the mold (living organism, that kills parts of the plant before it can eat them) has no room for thriving and growing and if your plant is prefectly healthy and you start to apply early on and continue the application in aright way, you wont harm the plant at all...
Huge OD plants with massive roots in the grond are nothing you can read in a growbook about. and those people didnt grow organically at that time on an advanced level as today. internat did very good help.
PM eats it alive and grey mold kills materia before eating.

@ChaosCatulunja:
hi my friend, very interesting, thanks for sharing.
I will try to make some lactobacillus tea for next OD foliar for one testplat that will be exclusevly sprayed with milk and lactobacillus.

Recently i font some articles about a fungus called : Pythium oligandrum Drechsler
read about it, if you can find it in english i only found articles in german polish and czech.
but they did scientifical studies.
its a shroom that feeds of other shrooms, you apply it on the plant and it will continue to live and eat boytrytis and PM and all sorts of other fungi!
I only fond a shop with very bad reviews selling it, but emailed the chzech company that produces it how and where i can buy it as private person...
today i will spray my ladies with ACT with following ingredients: aschopyllum nodosum kelp, chlorella algea, wormcastings, horsetail extract, em, shot milk, garlic piece, alow vera straight from the plant, drop soap and teaspoon coconut oil to stop the foaming from the bubbler.
We´ll see ;)