What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can you transfer pollen by rolling a joint, then touching plant while smoking said jo

Is it possible to pollinate a plant by handling weed that has pollen on it? I live in colorado so i handle weed daily from dispensaries, i was told by a budtender that most rec weed is autoflowered and pollinated to decrease harvest time and bulk up buds by harvesting before the seeds develop. Now i have 2 plants, 1 birthday cake and 1 chemmy jones. Both female. Birthday cake is in week 4 of flower and has shown 2 seeds on the bottom popcorn nugs. I grow outside. I know its not a herm or banana'd. Now im worried. The only thing i can think of is wind carrying pollen, a bee, or me handling weed then immediately looking over my plants while i burn. Ive only noticed 2 on the birthday cake. None on the chemmy jones. Now this was a bag seed from a Quarter from a local dispensary, would this mean that the plant is producing a couple seeds on its own since this is how i got this seed? Need some answers here. This is tricky. Also will my potency or yeild be affected by finding 2 fairly developed seeds (calyx is hard when squeezed with tweezers) in week 4 of flower. Should i continue the grow for the full 8-10 weeks this strain calls for?

w3rds

unless there was fresh pollen on the buds right before you bought them, no worries. Pollen on a living plant will be inert by the time the plant is dried and cured.

unless there was fresh pollen on the buds right before you bought them, no worries. Pollen on a living plant will be inert by the time the plant is dried and cured.

Sweet. Any ideas as to how this plant has formed 2 seeds in week 4 of flower? Im outdoors in pots also in colorado so maybe pollen in the wind? Or is it just this plants genetics since i got this seed out of a quarter of birthday cake from a dispensary?

thejact55

Plant could have popped a pollen plant (slight hermie) and self pollinated. Id let those two seeds finish up and pick em, or just pluck em off now. Let your plant finish as normal, but keep an eye for any intersex traits.
Could be stray pollen, but my bet is on self pollination.

Plant could have popped a pollen plant (slight hermie) and self pollinated. Id let those two seeds finish up and pick em, or just pluck em off now. Let your plant finish as normal, but keep an eye for any intersex traits.
Could be stray pollen, but my bet is on self pollination.

Awesome, ive only noticed these 2 seeds. Ive went through almost every large calyx and squeezed them gently with tweezers and didnt see anymore for now. Since its week 4 and im right about to start budding really hard, will this effect my plants bud growth or potency? This is my first grow and im really new to all this.

thejact55

Wont effect growth or potency.
The question is, is this genetic, or are they stressed? Just keep em as healthy/happy as possible and watch for little pollen sacs (pluck em if you see em) and itll be fine.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Spray it down with water, give it a good dousing. Should it be wind born, the water will deactivate any remaining pollen.

You're in Colorado? Get used to pollen on the wind/insects/birds/critters. ;)

Spray it down with water, give it a good dousing. Should it be wind born, the water will deactivate any remaining pollen.

You're in Colorado? Get used to pollen on the wind/insects/birds/critters. ;)

Yep im close to denver. So yea. I havent noticed anymore seeds. Just wondering when they will bud up and how much longer i have. I got a 40x loop for my trichromes. Just curious as to how much longer :/

happy hydro

What a terrifying situation. Autoflower + pollinating plants for faster crop times!? Sounds like some shit big tobacco will be doing if it's ever federally legalized.

What a terrifying situation. Autoflower + pollinating plants for faster crop times!? Sounds like some shit big tobacco will be doing if it's ever federally legalized.

Yea they do it here so its faster and packs on more weight by chopping it before the seeds fully form. That's the difference between rec and med. Rec is faster as to where med is longer more potent terpin filled buds. Its all a gambit. Ive had several budtenders tell me flat put that this is how it is. So yea its scary knowing the bud is covered in male pollen to accelerate tje grow time and weight. Especially for a grower like me :/

Jhhnn

Veteran

Smells like budtender bullshit from here. Commercial weed is grown from clones & there are no males.

Pollination doesn't really change maturation time at all in my limited experience. If I pollinate a 10 week strain it still takes 10 weeks. Heavy pollination, particularly early on, affects yield, for sure, because the plant puts energy into the seeds rather than into bigger buds.

Smells like budtender bullshit from here. Commercial weed is grown from clones & there are no males.

Pollination doesn't really change maturation time at all in my limited experience. If I pollinate a 10 week strain it still takes 10 weeks. Heavy pollination, particularly early on, affects yield, for sure, because the plant puts energy into the seeds rather than into bigger buds.

I have no clue to be honest with ya. I just have 2 seeds lol. Thats all

prune

Veteran
A few points of information...

Sometimes plants will just throw an ovary on a dare, there won't even be one of those little white seeds inside at harvest, just an empty calyx.

Fertile pollen on a joint wouldn't be un-heard of, but the real problem is the plant can respond negatively to smoke - especially it's own.

In the old days, they used to track the flow of cannabis pollen from North Africa across the Mediterranean sea into Europe. Of course, I read that in the same book (probably the same one all those bored bud tenders have been reading) that told me about pollinating crops to build weight and that just doesn't seem to ring true. I mean, who does that fool? Might work once, but it's gotta ruin repeat business, and now that it's legal that's where the living is...

A few points of information...

Sometimes plants will just throw an ovary on a dare, there won't even be one of those little white seeds inside at harvest, just an empty calyx.

Fertile pollen on a joint wouldn't be un-heard of, but the real problem is the plant can respond negatively to smoke - especially it's own.

In the old days, they used to track the flow of cannabis pollen from North Africa across the Mediterranean sea into Europe. Of course, I read that in the same book (probably the same one all those bored bud tenders have been reading) that told me about pollinating crops to build weight and that just doesn't seem to ring true. I mean, who does that fool? Might work once, but it's gotta ruin repeat business, and now that it's legal that's where the living is...

I dont know. Im just scared for my 2 plants and hope they are going to produce good potent bud. I have birthdaycake and chemmy jones so idk.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I'm having trouble believing this story about people intentionally pollinating plants to bulk up the flowers for sale. Immature seeds are still quite noticeable in dried bud. I think customers would reject such an abomination.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Way back when, virtually all weed was imported & it was all seeded with the exception of thai stick & rare Mexican sinsemilla which just had a lot fewer seeds, not no seeds. It was grown as a commodity cash crop, bricked up & sold by weight to brokers whole fields at a time. Colombian wasn't bricked but rather stuffed tightly into burlap bags. Little of it was trimmed much at all so there was often some timber in it. Early males were generally cut down to increase overall bud production but it's not like growers inspected their fields daily after that to prevent pollination. Brokers selected a brick at random, broke it open, inspected it, test smoked it on the spot & haggling ensued. The only people who cared about seeds were the end consumers & they were usually happy just to get the stuff.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Pollinated buds, even after the dry/cure, will still cause hayfever symptoms for anyone sensitive to it. I'm not saying it will still fertilise female flowers, just that its certainly not inert at that point.
But yeah using autos and pollinating them is not how any commercial grower would do it.

WelderDan

Veteran

Budtender Bullshit indeed. This is correct information. Heavily seeded plants yield less for the exact reason you stated. Maturation time remains the same. As for the OP's couple of seeds, probably had a nanner and didn't notice. Easy to miss, happens to all of us.

Latest posts

Latest posts