What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

U.K cheese brightside cut ?

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Katsu might of told you that but that's 100% bullshit
I used to know all the workers there.
Katsu is not the same as it was back then( none of the same workers )and just another commercial spot.
Homegrown had it for at least a year before anyone else.

These are all facts you can look up online
This I agree with,, this was my thought,,

Katsu guys told me they bought it from travelling type people and it always came looking like outdoor,, the story they told me was they were getting it for years before everyone,, homegrown was next,,, nut I never got to smoke them batches,, i had grown my cheese by the time I came back,, nobody had cheese in Amsterdam when I met Brightside homegrown had already Been selling it but they didn't have it when I met b

Blazeee

Veteran
A repost from Here

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6203915&postcount=29

The original post was from another board, I cant remember where, although im sure most of us have read this post at some point throughout history.

The true origin of UK Cheese

I recently went on holiday to the Canary Islands, a friend of mine gave me a copy of Weed World magazine to read while I was there (issue 56). To my surprise, was the article by Big Buddha Cheese? On reading this I decide to tell the story from the beginning.

Back in the late 80’s early 90’s, a friend-of-a-friend of mine came back from the Sensi Seed Bank in Amsterdam with some seeds.

Most of the plants were males but 4 of them were girls – 3 of the 4 were wankers and one was kind of OK. This plant was cloned and passed on to 3 or 4 different people who grew it alongside some Northern Lights and Silver Pearl plants in their well built grow rooms.

I am 45 years old now and have been growing my own weed for about 25 years, 10 of them outside in the wild.

My best friend and I decided that we would build ourselves our own grow rooms but didn’t see the need for getting too technical so, we made them out of anything we could lay our hands on – we called them “orange crates” coz that’s what they looked like.

As for lighting, we went on a commando raid to a local disused cement factory and helped ourselves to some Sodium and Metal Halide 400’s. We made our own shades from some aluminium sheeting from a local scrap yard.

Now all we needed was some nice cuttings. I managed to get some N/L and S/P plants and also one of the Skunks. Most of the other growers concentrated on the N/L and S/P because they are good all rounders.

I think one of the Skunks went to Crewe and another to Cornwall. I quite liked the Skunk so I kept it going. Now over the next 7 or 8 years of constant cloning, the Skunk started changing – don’t know why – it just did. It started to get really smelly – I mean really stink. The smell would get everywhere and I was often creosoting the fence to try and mask the smell (a little tip there for Cheese farmers, creosote or burnt toast). Cropping was a nightmare and I wouldn’t even go out because people would often say “you stink”.

I was giving some of this weed to my close friends and they all loved it and, as the taste was changing it seemed the strength was too. This weed had become so strong and so smelly that it reminded me of something I had smelt before, but I couldn’t think what it was. Then one day the penny dropped.

When I was 17 or 18 and living at home with my parents, I would go out a lot with a friend who worked in a food essence factory. Some days I would see him and he would stink of all different kind of things: fish, beef, vanilla etc. He would bring me small test tubes of concentrated liquids home and use them in my fishing bait (the carp loved the vanilla). One day he put one under my nose and said “smell this one, its called blue cheese, and it’s a real minger”.

This was the smell I had been trying to remember. The weed smelt just like it and so she was born. I gave the weed the name “Cheese”.

The only cuttings I let out were to people who were incapable of doing their own cloning and only wanted a plant for their own garden in the summer months.

Another close friend of mine, known as “Of the Hill”, came to me one day and asked me if I would do him 21 cuttings as he was building a big lab for the Exodus people in Luton. I was a bit unsure of this as I didn’t know ay of these people but, I did it for him because he is a good egg and has dug me out of plenty of holes over the years. Anyway, off he went with his cuttings and I didn’t here too much more about it, other than a good harvest festival was had.

“Of the Hill” arranged for a cutting to make it’s way to a coffee shop in Amsterdam in 2003 (Home Grown Fantasy). It was cloned and put on the menu as ‘Cheese’ and went on to claim 3rd place in the cannabis cup in 2004.

I recently met an American at a Hawkwind gig in London who had heard of the Cheese in Washington. He had come to the UK to see Hawkwind and smoke Cheese. His face lit up when I pulled a big fat Cheese straw out of my pocket!

It’s kind of annoying really – I wish I could have put a patent on the word “Cheese” in the context of marijuana but, it’s kind of difficult when things are illegal.

All over the place now I hear people calling all sorts of weed “Cheese” and I say to them “no mate, this is Cheese”.

As for Mr Big Buddha? I have plenty of respect for him, but the Cheese is not yours no matter what you call it and, as for crossing her? She does need help –over the years she has started to show signs of stress.

Growers will notice that some plants get brown spotty leaves during growing & flowering that results I leaf drop. I don’t know what the cause is, it’s not the soil, the water, the food, or the air quality (possibly a virus of some kind), so I suppose a cross of some kind to introduce some new vigour to her would be a good thing so, like I said, respect to Big Buddha for trying.

So for nearly 14 years, the Cheese was living at only a couple of places but now it seems to be everywhere for people to enjoy.

I don’t know what she has become – some sort of mutant freak, but she sure hits the spot and everyone who smokes her loves her to pieces.

So there you have it – the truth about the origin of Cheese. You can all rejoice that I kept her going for all these years and now you all know how it came about its name.

In the grand scheme of things it’s not very much, but I wanted to set the record straight.

Wing Commander Blue

WeedWorld Magazine

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also the fact you keep stating you like to smoke windows over your brightside proves that you didnt have the same cut as us as ask everyone else who had a confirmed brightside cut if they ever tasted a better cheese than the brightside cut ? , they haven't and I've not even asked them.
I smoked all the cheese cuts you talk about and Brightside cut is the most pungent dank tasting cheese I've ever smoked from anyone ever.

We all used to chill together every year at the 420 and even talk about the cheese and everybody used to same the same thing

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brightside litrally was the first person to refer me to icmag,, it was 2005/6,,,the first wave of chess had gone,, the town was dry and that's when I got mine from Brightside,, i grew mine and everyone loved my cheese,, people said mine was better than everyones,,, but personally I prefer blues and would swap my Brightside for the blues buds,, the exodus cut is sweeter than Brightsides so it's personal preference you are using as causation for your assessment and in reality it's just correlation,, this is bad judgement

The thing with me is that I worked in a vacuum for years with 1 clone,, it was the best seller ever,, it literally upped the price on bud,,, the problem with other people is they had acess to other clones,, i though I had cheese so never ventured out of my vacuum,,, it's similar to my A5 and S5 clone,, you want a source that is in a vacuum and has never had access to other clones that's when you know a cut is ligit

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
“Of the Hill” arranged for a cutting to make it’s way to a coffee shop in Amsterdam in 2003 (Home Grown Fantasy). It was cloned and put on the menu as ‘Cheese’ and went on to claim 3rd place in the cannabis cup in 2004.

It is common knowledge that Brightside got his cut from someone else.
It says he arranged a cutting to be passed to Homegrown
How you know brightside didnt pass it for of the hill

Were you there that year at the cup ?
Did you even grow cheese then ?
I was and it was the exact same cheese as brightside.

I know your on English dick Rick's balls all the time blaze but all you do is agree and repeat anything he says ?

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fact is homegrown had a sweet cheese cut in 07,,before that they may well have had it from Brightside,, but when I was buying bags that was the yummy sweet and savory flavour of windows/jarhs/exodus /Mr cheese cut,,,

Is the cf cut the same as Windows/exodus

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why you even looking for the Brightside cut if windows,Jahs, Exodus are all better tasting and yielding than the Brightside cut ?

Fact Brightside cut is the loudest Cheese out there.
To me the other cuts are sweeter and a diet Cheese compared to Brightside cut.
I smoked the Blues clone which is a close contender but nothing has ever beaten the Cheese Brightside cut for that Cheese/Skunk taste

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I get harassed by 100s of people,, no joke,, if it was up to me I'd grow windows and blues and wouldn't hassle myself,, but this is b we are talking about,, this is his legacy,, the idea of his cut not being grown by people who want it pains me,,, i thought I had sent it out to enough people but I am still waiting for 1 person who works in a vacuum to come back to me,, i want it from someone who's had it for years and hopefully got it before everyone upgraded to the exodus cut for yeald purposes,,,

Yes Brightsides had the most lingering flavour but we didn't use closed loop air system then and it was a massive liability,, the high made people want to kill themselves,, i often wonder what the suicide cheese is as I've never smoked it and simply by its name it sounds like a Brightside type of high,,, the blues feels like Xmas,, the exodus feels like Xmas,, Brightsides is a much darker day

TheDarkStorm

The homegrown fantaseeds cheese seeds were very nice a few years ago

I like it to mr bruch found some lovley phenos in that line..very different to other seed versions of cheese..it would get you high rather than mong you out..im glad some one else remembers this...although I have no clue wat they have now..not tried it in a while

mr.brunch

Veteran
I like it to mr bruch found some lovley phenos in that line..very different to other seed versions of cheese..it would get you high rather than mong you out..im glad some one else remembers this...although I have no clue wat they have now..not tried it in a while

If I remember, they used to say it was the clone crossed to big Buddha then bx’ed several times
Smelly tasty weed, very easy to trim but difficult to hide

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So have you asked other people who had a direct cut from Brightside himself if they have ever had a better cheese than brightside ?

Also if these so called 100's of people ask you , why dont you tell them all the other cuts taste and yield better? , I'm sure they would want that instead

Why you think we want the Brightside cut back , because it tastes better than any other Cheese cut.
Yes there are better yielding cheese cuts but we are after quality not quantity and those other cuts are a level down in taste/smell than the Brightside cut. Fact

Bud Jones

Hmm sharing is caring .. Do you need a secret handshake to get a cut ? Seems like hoarding again has led to originals being lost . Just sayin ‘ .

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here you go again with an assumption referd to as fact,,, don't put your kneck out,,

Other people have other criteria,,, the criteria of the mass public seems to be level of smell and pungency,, that's not my ultimate criteria,, how are you not understanding that your opinion is similar to ass holes

to be fair once a friend of mine pulled off some Brightsides Cheese that rivaled the blues for taste,, he made it more Berry and less hashy than I'd ever seen it,,, it did taste way way different,,,, my grows always had a more pungent uncontrollable smell which sold my weed so the mass public presence is obviously different to mine mine , that berry flavour and more sweet flavour was a one off and I tried for years to match it,, never did,, people also preferred my hydro cheese when my mates berrry style crop was a coco setup and people bought mine over that,,, ,, i never got it to grow like that since but still it was still very different to homegrowns buds after 06,,,

Brightsides vs blues,,, well Brightsides is much harder to dial,, so again its all preferences,, blues is usually better because its easyer to dial,,,

Try to take into consideration brix content and what type of tailored buds people prefer

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
99% of Herb Connoisseur's want best tasting and strongest potency
Everything else is 2nd

Yes we want a good yielding, fast growing plant also but not over taste/potency

You sound like the commercial grower who will ditch a cut for a better yielding cut of same strain but a loss in terps/potency

I bet you can't find 1 legitimate grower who got his cut from Brightside or from someone who got it from someone who had it direct from Brightside that has had or even smoked better cheese cut.
Ask around ? Il wait
I can think of a few icmag heads who you know also , PM them

It doesnt exist
There might be a cut as good as Brightside but I've never seen grown or smoked it and I've tried every cut you talk about and most was grown by the actual person its named after and the other known cuts are also very nice and better than most but the Brighside cut is the best cheese ever

Last edited:

Blazeee

Veteran
I know your on English dick Rick's balls all the time blaze but all you do is agree and repeat anything he says ?

Mind how your talking OJD

Lets get one thing clear, im not riding anyones balls.

I couldnt give a fuck about whatever beef you and English rick have! Im not on any bodies side! Im not here to challenge anyone's claim to fame , ego or any of that other shit!

Go back, search this thread by my posts. You will see i'm one of a few people that has actually contributed anything fucking useful towards this thread!

Everyone else has had access to the same clones that are currently available, yet who else has grown them all out and came back with pictures of all of them??? Granted they may not be the best example or grown to everyone's standards and preferences, but you cannot sit there and say I have contributed nothing expect ride someones balls the whole time. Its a fucking childish statement to make, its also aload of bollocks and you know it is.

Im here for clarification. Whos growing what? Are we all just growing the same? How many different cuts are in circulation, is what me and window growing the same? (they are not btw).

I left my ego at the door when I came in along time ago. I have openly admitted I have never grown brightsides cheese, or knowingly smoked her.

However I have smoked and ran through more than my fair share of cheese, blues/livers and was lucky enough to be surrounded by many good people offline from an early age. I know good cheese and it holds a strong place in my heart, just like the rest of us I want to be smoking the smelliest.

Now with regards to that post I reposted, I reposted it for a few reasons, none of which were to 'ride english ricks balls' or validate any claim he had made.

I was mainly posting it to reference these previous posts

The bright side cut is the original cut its the same clone cheese farmer held that was originally taken to dam in 2002

Cant really tell you exactly who he is as thats upto him but cf is one ov the originators of the clone...exodus were passed on there clone by cf...hope that helps

Cf was passed cheese by wing commander blue.
He is a cheese OG.

I read an interview in some weed mag years ago with this WCB guy, if I remember right, it was him that passed the cheese to the exodus lot, via a tray of clones.

Or passed it to CF and then on to the exodus peeps, so before brightside got her.

Your right ojd..hgf originally had that same original cheese clone..the original crew got it sent over there...but hgf lost it a few years later ...the clones that have come after that that cant be traced back to that crew are obviously something else..the evidence is there for all to see still.

I had highlighted that specific section that I did as you were talking about the year they recieved it and won a cup, well its documented right there.

I posted it, as in my mind, from reading your posts, it lined up with what you were saying.

Go back and read it, what I posted supported what you were saying.

All of you guys agree HGF had the brightside cut.

That article which we all must have read at some point over the years states off the hill arranged for the cut to make its way to HGF.

And you say its known fact that brightside gave it to them and put her in amsterdam.

You both agree that brightside had the original cheese so it all lines up, hence why I posted it.

Like I say Im not on any ones side, and tbh I think its quite childish that you've both resorted to silly name calling because you dont agree on something.

Now i dont know what you were thinking or what conclusions you were jumping to when you made that post OJD. Ive got no issues with you, however im not going to sit here and let you post bullshit like that and try bad mouth my name and talk shit, especially when ive been nothing other than respectful to yourself. I dont care about whatever beef you and rick have and im not on anyones side!

TheDarkStorm

The reson I brought up cf is because it was him that gave the clone to exodus himself..and that is the same clone brightside got..so that obviously is the true exodus/brightside cut...what ever differing clone that came out years later aint even the exodus clone..ther was only one clone originaly and that is the true clone..people over the years have told many lies..brightsides clone is the same as the exodus despite the pretenders..it can be traced back to the original crew..others cant.

TheDarkStorm

Check this icmag thread out "greenhouse exodus cheese feminised test grow" last page may clear up some nonsense about other stories people have made up.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Just to add confusion.. Not sure who said this to me.it was a long time ago .homegrowns cheese was named because it was grew in an old cheese factory and was 1 of them g's (say that in a Dutch accent)