What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Beautiful work. I love creeping around your thread and admiring your properly mature flowers. So very pretty.

Can I ask you to describe the effects from panama honduras gal. Your fav from aces catalogue , that is indeed high praise. Was it from the feminized versiin or the reg?

Thanks for the kind words.

I ran some of the tester Honduras x Panama regulars and while several awesome expressions arose from the females I had, the best in my mind is the purple Honduras leaning variants (which are available now in feminized form through Ace).

The high is friendly, warm, and smiley while remaining clear and functional. I routinely describe the line as “kind bud” which is a common Hawaiian term for excellent feel good weed.

I love Honduras, but I feel the Panama addition improves every aspect - size, vigor, bud density, flavor, high, etc, etc. if you’re looking to breed with the line, I’d buy the regulars, if you want the isolated purple Honduras leaning pheno (which Dubi and I agree is the best of the line) get the fems, it’s already been isolated for this trait. Hell, smacking anything male against the fem line will produce amazing results.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Thanks Terpene,

Im thinking ill go ahead and grab the fem version, find a nice gal for some kali mist x burmese pollen a friend has stored from a couple males.

Terpene

Veteran
Ace A5 Haze x Malawi just starting out next to two selections of Ace Pure Purple Haze - "black zip tie" which was the purpleish smelling short flowering variant and "blue zip tie" which is a long flowering bananas and incense variant.
picture.php

Panama x Honduras females at 3-4 weeks in:
picture.php

SolarLogos

Ace A5 Haze x Malawi just starting out next to two selections of Ace Pure Purple Haze - "black zip tie" which was the purpleish smelling short flowering variant and "blue zip tie" which is a long flowering bananas and incense variant.
View Image

Panama x Honduras females at 3-4 weeks in:
View Image
I'm loving your grows Terpene. Thanks for posting I'm learning a lot.

Peace, God bless

Terpene

Veteran
***WARNING, strong pseudo science content*****

Back in 2015 (god, I cant believe its been that long) I ran a round of 3 female pure purple hazes that I pollinated with a male pure purple haze. I saved all three plants seeds separately as each female was a different expression of the line.

picture.php

#1 / black zip tie pheno was FAST finishing, 13.5 weeks and purple smelling, but low yield.

picture.php

#2 / green zip tie pheno was also reasonably quick, 16 weeks and incense smelling, more a representation of the whole OTH line than the pure purple side, awesome yield for a haze.

picture.php

#3 / blue zip tie pheno was thin, gangly and I got tired of watching it continue to add little puff balls of pistils around week 19. Banana-incense smell, horrible yield, probably a 30 week plant that would be better suited to long veg times and outdoor.

picture.php

The male I nicknamed “density haze” cause it had almost no stretch, huge, thin fingered leaves and looked like it was a haze from Amsterdam (bred to indicas for commercial viability) but smelled purple (blackberry brandy), looked excellent, not what I expect from Ace's pure purple line which is taller and more elegant.

In an effort to cut down flowering time and more specifically, transitional stretch into flowering - Ive switched my veg from my normal 20/4 to 14/10. I’ve noticed my friends who run 22/2 have longer stretch period than those under 18/6 and thought extreme sativa stretch might be more due to lighting conditions as equatorials don’t see longer than 13.5/11 in veg. My theory is the plant just takes longer to receive the signal to flower as it hasn’t evolved to handle longer photoperiods.

I’m already vegging the pure purple hazes in 14/10 and plant to for their whole life and then toss them under 11/13 as normal and see how many weeks it takes them to flip. Im used to 6-6.5 weeks which is my normal time under 20/4 veg, my friend just saw 8 weeks under 22/2 veg. I'm betting they’ll show flowers in 4 weeks. Due to the fact that I am decreasing the daylight integral they would be seeing during veg (14 hours of daylight is roughly 70% as much overall light as 20 hours with the same lighting intensity), I have stepped up to flowering brightness in veg to make up for the lack of hours. How bright is that? Here's the 6 seedlings just starting out at what will be the lowest lighting intensity, 750-800umol at the ground level:

picture.php

When they get to 10-12" tall, I will be flipping the 6, shoving them under a screen and running them in my little LED cabinet. Its gonna be Haze mayhem as they'll be sitting next to my A5 Haze x Malawi which will be in a screen as well. Who said you can't monocrop hazes in a tiny box?

Terpene

Veteran
You didn't think I was going to mention A5 Haze x Malawi without showing you pictures, did you??:laughing:

picture.php

So far, I have 3 females and 2 waiting to be sexed. I have been HAMMERING them every 2 days with foliar sprays of silica in an effort to try and stop them from stretching and focusing on thickening up. Has it worked? Meh, I would say its just turned them into monsters. I'll be culling the males and screening the females.

Next to A5 Haze x Malawi are 2 female Panama x Honduras around 5-6 weeks in. The lowers have seen pollen from a Panama x Honduras and one of the upper branches got some viable late flower Boats N Hoes #5 banana pollen for a very interesting S1...
picture.php

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Looking good Terpene! I bet those A5 Malawi will be hella nice!

About your pseudo science, i think you have the right idea. I do also think that the veg period has something to do with the flowering time. For example, I had a bunch of plants that were vegging for 24hours on, I decreased the lights to 16/8 for 2 weeks and then tried to flip to 11/13 to flower. however, I did fuck up the timer settings and accidentally switched to 23/1. Once I noticedthe mistake, around 5 days later, I fixed to 11/13, however, most plants took forever to stretch and start throwing out pistils.

Once I found a few males, I removed them and placed a plant from the veg room in there to flower and those were a lot quicker to start flowering. Even tho they were a week behind on the flowering time, they looked like they went a week ahead.

Even tho I only messed up their veg light cycle, I believe that it kinda works similar to a re-veg period, of course, not as intense and not as long as a full reveg from flower to veg...

Anyways, thats what I noticed from my mistake...

Whatever you are doing, seems to be working! :rasta:

Terpene

Veteran
Either I've got the best luck in the world, or I received a pack of feminized A5 Haze x Malawi cause all 5 of my plants are female. :woohoo:

All of the plants have graduated from 5" pots to 1 gallon pots and have been tossed under a hanging 2'x2' scrog in the screw in LED cabinet.

picture.php

Random note - the silica seems to have made the stems infinitely more flexible, despite their increased thickness. I was able to bend most of the stems to 90 degrees without snapping, which made screening really easy. I think I'm going foliar silica treatments from now on as the plants seem to be even more stoked to be alive than usual.

SolarLogos

Wow the A5XM is growing up fast. Besides being bendy, she has gotten a lot darker as well. Love your hanging scrog net, very convenient. Enjoying your grow and learning from them as much as I have your past grows. Thanks Terpene.
Peace, God bless

Terpene

Veteran
Ah, well that makes sense then! TY Koondense for the clarification!

A week later, the A5Haze Malawis are filling the screen:
picture.php

The pure purple hazes (and some Firejuanas from a friend) seem unphased by the 14/10 veg lighting and are stacking on size with little to no difference from what I am used to under 20/4:
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
My outdoor Matanuska Thunderfuck x MAC at chop. Not even close to a sativa, but who doesn't like pretty colors?

picture.php

picture.php

SolarLogos

My outdoor Matanuska Thunderfuck x MAC at chop. Not even close to a sativa, but who doesn't like pretty colors?

View Image

View Image
Oh... that is one frosty lady!!! Nice job finishing her this time of year outdoors. Chopping her before the days get too much past the equinox is perfect timing for sure. Mine still have a few more weeks, on some in the greenhouse, should be close to 4/20 chop. Their smartpots are too big to move, so I won't be using light dep. Hopefully they won't go back into veg before they finish. Did you finish yours in a greenhouse? Thanks Terpene, she is lovely! Much respect for your grows.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

View Image

View Image
I also wanted to comment on your strain. Is you Mananuska TF the same as the Mananuska TF going around in '80 or close to that? A couple kilo's came through our small town in Mendocino County at the time, also some heavily seeded African Black. Both would get your rocks off as we would say :biggrin:
Anything crossed with MTF has to be good. I for one, would love a smoke report once she has had a little time to settle into her curing jar.:tiphat:
Peace, God bless

Terpene

Veteran
No idea if Matanuska Thunderfuck is the same as what was going around then, or if its the same as Alaska Thunderfuck (which I ran years ago) but it smells / looks similar - despite this one being crossed with MAC.

At my latitude you can finish plants up until about mid April at which point they tend to start revegging. On a related note, I will be building a second flowering cabinet with a couple new tricks as we're just about to that point in daylight hours outdoors and I want to run bigger, LST / scrogged plants under the LEDs which requires more space - I'll be up to a whopping 1.25sq meters! :laughing:

I will still be running a couple plants outside - Ace's feminized autoflowering Zamaldelicas. :D With the quality of feminized autos being so good compared to what they used to be I am really becoming an autoflowering junkie - you can basically plant them like corn: staggered planting a couple weeks apart, any time of the year. Additionally autos stay relatively small (1-1.5m tall), making them an easy addition to any garden.

Here's the five Ace A5 Haze x Malawi at 3 weeks under the LEDs:
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
The new LED cabinet is built, but requires mylar lining. I wanted to share some pics of the guts as its coming together:

Outside
picture.php

Ventilation
picture.php

8) 17w 3000k & 4) 15w 5000k for a total of 196w in a 2ft x 3 ft space.
picture.php

That panel on the top is a vented hood. That's right, this cabinet is air cooled. Closeup of LED venting
picture.php

Side profile of venting / exhaust system (to fans in second pic)
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
After a day of run time, the highest temp difference between outside the air cooled LED cabinet and inside the cabinet was 1.2 degrees F.
picture.php

YukonKronic

I've been tooling with a freezer... I think I need to cool my panel too or the high temp shutoff trips so often that flowering will start..
Here it is while building at a friends place and then set up for a quick test somewhere else..

These panels get freakin bright!

YukonKronic

I knew it was probably overkill but had to see.. put all the bulbs in with 1 plant at first and it cooked in a couple hours... from light not heat:biggrin: