What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will tighten up your spacing it is best if done early and two or three times before flowing if you haven't switched them yet strip them naked, smaller branches that you want longer leave a couple of leaves on the end the long one's strip them good just leave all the tiny leaves in a couple of day's most of it fills right in from the inside and everywhere if everything is balanced do it all the same I usually just leave the smallest leaf at the tips and the inside branches come out from nubs. I posted the before and after pictures a page back you can see I had no branches and far spacing up the stock now it's a compact bitch.

Mr Blah

This will tighten up your spacing it is best if done early and two or three times before flowing if you haven't switched them yet strip them naked, smaller branches that you want longer leave a couple of leaves on the end the long one's strip them good just leave all the tiny leaves in a couple of day's most of it fills right in from the inside and everywhere if everything is balanced do it all the same I usually just leave the smallest leaf at the tips and the inside branches come out from nubs. I posted the before and after pictures a page back you can see I had no branches and far spacing up the stock now it's a compact bitch.
How long have you vegged?

sladeofdark

Im glad you mentioned that technique.. i never understood that about LSTing. That is why my first attempts at it failed miserably, then i became afraid to do it again on the same plant. I couldn't tie the branch down with anything strong enough that i had available to me. The plant would snap back up and break my restraints (usually tape) and i would be afraid to try it again. I also want to say i made the mistake of doing this to the main stem and it caused the branches below the bend to become very fragile. I removed them at the start of flowering per lolipopping technique(what a waste). But this time around i am going to build me a sturdy screen and get it right. It appears that the plant need be topped in order to achieve a symmetrical manipulation of the branches correct?

medicalmj

Veteran
Im glad you mentioned that technique.. i never understood that about LSTing. That is why my first attempts at it failed miserably, then i became afraid to do it again on the same plant. I couldn't tie the branch down with anything strong enough that i had available to me. The plant would snap back up and break my restraints (usually tape) and i would be afraid to try it again. I also want to say i made the mistake of doing this to the main stem and it caused the branches below the bend to become very fragile. I removed them at the start of flowering per lolipopping technique(what a waste). But this time around i am going to build me a sturdy screen and get it right. It appears that the plant need be topped in order to achieve a symmetrical manipulation of the branches correct?

I've gotten good symmetry by bending top 180deg and putting a twist tie around it and the stem. Do it early on when you have about 4 nodes beneath it. Be gentle as you bend, but be sure its pointing straight down when you tie it. It'll be a nice top in the middle of the even canopy.

sladeofdark

I've gotten good symmetry by bending top 180deg and putting a twist tie around it and the stem. Do it early on when you have about 4 nodes beneath it. Be gentle as you bend, but be sure its pointing straight down when you tie it. It'll be a nice top in the middle of the even canopy.

Really .. WoW. I will have to try that. i know exactly what technique you are talking about. I just didn't know that it worked that way.
What do you think i could do with this space using the defoliation and SCROG techniques discussed here? Its 8 feet long ..4 feet deep and 5.5 feet high.

Untitled.jpg

Your space would benefit from some pruning for sure. Some of those large fans you have are ridiculous and not doing much for your plants now. I have never seen fans with such long stems?

medicalmj

Veteran
Really .. WoW. I will have to try that. i know exactly what technique you are talking about. I just didn't know that it worked that way.
What do you think i could do with this space using the defoliation and SCROG techniques discussed here? Its 8 feet long ..4 feet deep and 5.5 feet high.
Cant speak to the defoli techniques but I can say that scrogging that garden will increase your yield along w providing more tops and less larf.

I like to have a completely level canopy when I flip. I will build a scrog net out of 1/2" pvc and zip tie netting to it. Keep it taught and trim excess. I will put this in place when I flip. I like to have it hooked to the ceiling (ratchet pulleys are awesome or hooks and chains) and adjustable. I weave, pull and bend the tops so that they are well spaced. Having the adjustable net is nice as you can lower it if need be. Make sure all your tops are able to grow through the netting and not buried. I like to have the tops horizontal if possible but pointing at days end. This will require some tops to be far from their original position. Often time back, under, over, ect to find that open spot. I will not do anymore major adjustments after the flip. I might move a top from one net square to the next if needed, or pull one up from beneath but thats about it. While you wont need any vertical support after a couple weeks, if the pvc is not solid between a wall edge, it can lean when buds get big, so shore it up.

From you got rocking, scroggin will be icing on the cake!

Final note, I prune my leaves in veg that are causing excess stretching from light deprivation. My best plant grows monster leaves that must be dealt with. But I've had sativas that needed no pruning whatsoever. Also, I like super cropping and LST over topping. But sometimes topping is needed. I do alot folding, dont do it too high up or you might snap it, to create lateral growth. Right now I am folding daily and just plucked a bunch of leave. Not to the extent seen here, but still substantial. I only pluck twice(ish) in veg and will only clean up, (sort of lollipop) in flower.
GL!

medicalmj

Veteran
248 pages and not one side by side hmmmm you ever wonder why lol i bet the non touched one would smoke the skinned plant in veg and yield more at the end

That'd be nice. I think you should try it. Take one of those trees you got coming along and defoliate 1/2. Same plant, so it'd be a great comparison.

Now, I have a q, I had to pluck/prune a bit today due to enormous leaves in veg that were cause stretching. Do you pluck/prune when needed? It seems to be this particular strain that really needs a clean up or else I left w 4" of growth in a day or two making the stem too long and weak. Now that the tops, from super cropping, and LST, are not obstructed, they are filling out and not bolting. I belieive I have the canopy I am looking for so this should be it for the run. Gonna flip next week. That'll give the small tops time to get some girth.

St3ve

248 pages and not one side by side hmmmm you ever wonder why lol i bet the non touched one would smoke the skinned plant in veg and yield more at the end

If I already know that it works, I would be purposefully throwing away some bud just to show some pics. I feel like I'm a pretty nice guy but that is not something I've willing to sacrifice to prove something. I don't need to make anyone a believer..

Same reason that you don't want to try it I suppose.. you think you will lower your yield right? Don't want to risk it so you want other ppl to do it for you?

and lastly, as mentioned before, a side by side won't work. The added veg time needed for the defoliated plant would cause the NON-defoliated plant to get overgrown. You'd have to start it later or something which would just be a timing pain.

St3ve

That'd be nice. I think you should try it. Take one of those trees you got coming along and defoliate 1/2. Same plant, so it'd be a great comparison.

Now, I have a q, I had to pluck/prune a bit today due to enormous leaves in veg that were cause stretching. Do you pluck/prune when needed? It seems to be this particular strain that really needs a clean up or else I left w 4" of growth in a day or two making the stem too long and weak. Now that the tops, from super cropping, and LST, are not obstructed, they are filling out and not bolting. I belieive I have the canopy I am looking for so this should be it for the run. Gonna flip next week. That'll give the small tops time to get some girth.

Its hard to say without pics.

However.. if you already feel you have the canopy you need, and don't need the extra growth, then by all means strip them down. Then they will recover and be a little more stout by flip time.

At least that's what I would do for sure.

:peacock:

St3ve

View Image

Without QUESTION defoliating should help your grow there, assuming you have a seperate veg area. From what I'm seeing you'll have tons of leaf and larf when you're harvesting.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran

If I already know that it works, I would be purposefully throwing away some bud just to show some pics. I feel like I'm a pretty nice guy but that is not something I've willing to sacrifice to prove something. I don't need to make anyone a believer..

Same reason that you don't want to try it I suppose.. you think you will lower your yield right? Don't want to risk it so you want other ppl to do it for you?

and lastly, as mentioned before, a side by side won't work. The added veg time needed for the defoliated plant would cause the NON-defoliated plant to get overgrown. You'd have to start it later or something which would just be a timing pain.

I will finally come out and say on the record... I am working to get one of my rooms set up TITS... and I will try my best to have a side by side using the same cuttings each vegged and flowered under their own 2k with a 4x4 footprint as to waste some space and light but not allow the 2 canopies to interfere with one another's space/light.

I don't mind sacrificing some yield on one run... I know Defol works, but not quantitatively under identical conditions... so I would like to know for myself just how well it works and what kinds of % gains are achievable. and we can once and for all give everyone what they cry for...its like people arguing against evolution... that "there isn't enough fossil records to link Ape to man" I will bring you australopithecus

I also wish to set up a similar side by side at another time testing supplemental UV bulbs.

again, this won't necessarily happen soon, I hesitantly bring it up cause the last time I talked about a project I was planning to do... it completely fell through... but within 1 year it will be on!

Last edited:

DrFever

Veteran
maybe if you actually read the fucking thread you'd understand why.
hahahaha yea i understand why cause Skinning a plant in veg and in flower is a a joke Period
Now cleaning up sucker buds you know the ones your so worried about in your closet ???
i don't need to read a stupid thread inreality you think i want to lower my yields Dude i make 34 + pounds in 4 grows thats 115 k clown :moon: with my last grow being 16,000 watts and 200 plants or should i say trees that sure the fck ain't going to be defoiled

You actually think a defoiled plant is going to compete with a non defoilated plant then your out to lunch
you mention longer veg times for defoilated lol i do 6 - 8 week Veg's on my girls and can guarntee you a defoilated plant will not even come close to it

D

davie blah

It's a sad day when the guy using magnet's to help his plant's grow think's your technique is crazy :muahaha:

DrFever

Veteran
How can you guarantee anything you have never tried that's s joke period.
Hmmmmmmmm lets see i done SOG's total power of 16k 6 k scrogs , 3 k scrogs , almost every technique in the book
Lets look at my credentials - i own a garden center for over 20 years have 15 green houses soil oven over over 80,000 in all types of soils and manures, i plant from seed approx 250,000 plants yearly and your going to tell me that something i never tried lol now thats a joke if you were to mention this in first year hordilculture course you be laughed at :laughing::laughing: pick all your leafs off a plant omg to funny

It's a sad day when the guy using magnet's to help his plant's grow think's your technique is crazy Yes i am trying magnets its already bin proven that magnetism does make a difference in all life forms on earth i started that thread to just try it out Again what is 4 plants when you got 100's to play with right no big deal but again i bet them magnet plants will still kill a defoiled plant any day

Status
Not open for further replies.