What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Blumats Flood ?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Im thinking about blumats, but don't want the risk of a flood or overfill as its in a finished bedroom with hardwood floors. Anyone have any technique to make it foulproof of overfilling or flowing. I have read that the sensors can malfunction and just keep flowing. I know this is rare, but I can't get them if I don't know that it 100% will not be able to happen. Right now hand watering sucks. 1-2 hours per day, everyday. Basically can't leave the house ;(

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you can gauge daily water needs you can set up a flood free system using a kiddie pool or flood trays.

Your best bet is to not use that room because, in all reality, you already know the answer to your question.

oti$

They will run away while dialing them, but once dialed, they are reliable. If you use that room for a grow, I suggest pond liner on the floor and 10 or so inches up the walls. It's cheap and easy to find on the interwebs. It's saved me from ruining a few places.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Pond liner is a lot better than that panda film I got. 20mm versus 6mm.

My space is 12 by 4 feet, and a 14 by 14 foot pond liner is 160 CAD. I can get 2 of the 4x6 trays almost for that price, or 3 of the 4x4 for a little more, but then I at least have those for future use, and don't have to build & teardown a diy setup, and possibly wreck the liner during that process.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pond liner is a lot better than that panda film I got. 20mm versus 6mm.

My space is 12 by 4 feet, and a 14 by 14 foot pond liner is 160 CAD. I can get 2 of the 4x6 trays almost for that price, or 3 of the 4x4 for a little more, but then I at least have those for future use, and don't have to build & teardown a diy setup, and possibly wreck the liner during that process.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I've built a couple of ponds with my folks over the years, and have used both 10 mil and 12 mil pond liner. You won't wreck 20 mil. You have to cut it. Nothing will poke through accidentally.

Blumat Answers

There is always the chance when learning to use Blumats that you will have a runaway. But as oti$ mentioned, once dialed in they are very reliable. If you use a gravity system with a small reservoir, you can limit the amount of water that is able to flood.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yes, For peace of mind I would get a 4 by 4 foot tray and put 16 plants inside that. I would have 3 trays all connected so they could in total handle well over a 100 Gallon Res dump. Until I do that, I am hand watering with a wand and hose connected to a res thats raised up so gravity flow. This is a huge step up from watering cans let me tell you and im enjoying the improvement even though its not automated, will do this for now, before stepping up to blumats next. Its all about the journey.

blumat answers, are you the official spokesperson for blumats or ?

Iamnumber

I've built a couple of ponds with my folks over the years, and have used both 10 mil and 12 mil pond liner. You won't wreck 20 mil. You have to cut it. Nothing will poke through accidentally.

Ty for the info!

I did quick googling..

Polyethylene is used in larger ponds.. thicker, harder to bend etc..

AND

Polyethylene Foam Roll's best application as a soundproofing material is as a sound barrier in or on walls, ceilings, or floors. It is most effective when used as a component of a multi-layered construction scheme.

I guess these are two very different products made from same material.. foam roll being more airy.. Yet.. I do think that pondliner might work as soundproofing material also ??

can you (or someone else) offer insight on this aspect?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Ty for the info!

I did quick googling..

Polyethylene is used in larger ponds.. thicker, harder to bend etc..

AND

Polyethylene Foam Roll's best application as a soundproofing material is as a sound barrier in or on walls, ceilings, or floors. It is most effective when used as a component of a multi-layered construction scheme.

I guess these are two very different products made from same material.. foam roll being more airy.. Yet.. I do think that pondliner might work as soundproofing material also ??

can you (or someone else) offer insight on this aspect?
No there isn't enough pockets in the pondliner to stop the sound. That's the physical way the foam stops sound, it's filled with trapped gas pockets so instead of the sound wave being able to travel directly through it is bounced around the inside of the foam, bouncing off pockets till it is dissipated inside the foam. The pondliner is just a sheet of extruded plastic, has no air pockets at all.

maimunji

Im thinking about blumats, but don't want the risk of a flood or overfill as its in a finished bedroom with hardwood floors. Anyone have any technique to make it foulproof of overfilling or flowing. I have read that the sensors can malfunction and just keep flowing. I know this is rare, but I can't get them if I don't know that it 100% will not be able to happen. Right now hand watering sucks. 1-2 hours per day, everyday. Basically can't leave the house ;(

I found most of the time when i have flooded small 8 mm hose is clogged. Ceramic cane dry blumats open full then hose uncloged somewhat and all rez goes to floor.
I run up to 33 blumats in 4x4 and non of them flooded whole grow. But its happening somethimes. You will be good if open them from time to time and massage small line. But 100 % safe isn't possible with this things. I leave them up to 7 days without problems but my mind is always there. I don't care about floor but for plants they will be dead without water. So for peace of mind drip system. But blumats grow some damm fine plants for sure.

Iamnumber

No there isn't enough pockets in the pondliner to stop the sound. That's the physical way the foam stops sound, it's filled with trapped gas pockets so instead of the sound wave being able to travel directly through it is bounced around the inside of the foam, bouncing off pockets till it is dissipated inside the foam. The pondliner is just a sheet of extruded plastic, has no air pockets at all.

oops.. Failure to understand what I read ..

Thickness was 20 mil to 40 mil .. As I live in metric world I had not encountered this unit.. for some reason I read it as abbreviation "millimeter" .. which would put the thickness between one and two inch.

now I realized that 40 mil = 0.1 mm (millimeter) >> no help in soundproofing

Latest posts

Latest posts