What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is a better name for these type of genetics??

M

metsäkana

i think its myth, just start produce flowers quicker if it have enough to eat in rigght balance..if the flowering if triggered by normal means...

i have not seen any proof other than that

Nup

...Or reduction of N?

Great discussion. Lots learned on the “semi-auto” trait that’s been flung around and confusing me for ages.

therevverend

Veteran
That's something I've not read about before, the P/K has always been something added to boost flowering. Would you happen to have a reference, or an idea of where you heard/read it?

By 'induce' flowering I mean like how you can say a plant being rootbound 'induces' flowering. Or 'induces'' a plant to turn into a hermaphrodite. It isn't going to work in June or under 24 hour or 18 hour light with normal plants. The plant has to be primed for it.
The idea is that when it gets close to flowering time a large dose of P and K will stimulate flowering. It's 'common wisdom' among old time Northern Californian growers. No scientific studies but I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the experience of people who have grown commercial crops for 40 years.
Cutting back on nitrogen is part of it as well. The growers who say switching to P and K will induce earlier flowering will also say continuing heavy N without the P and K will delay flowering by a couple weeks.
We'll see my daylight is at 15 hours. I just gave a heavy dose of P and K, very little N. The theory is that I should see clusters in a week and a half or so.
The time plants are sensitive to these effects is the period known as the 'tuck'. While still feeding N in mid to late July plants will switch from throwing out lots of new branches to a slower growth pattern where they stack up nodes and the stems start to widen. After the tuck comes the stretch which is the true start of flowering.
Some of mine are definitely tucking while others are squirting out new growth. It'll be interesting to see. A friend of mine started his bloom dose a few days earlier we'll check 1, how soon mine flower and 2, if his start to flower earlier then mine. He already says he has leaves turning yellow from the lack of N.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yes, but flowering is going to happen regardless of whether they change the nutrients or not. The 'delay' from using not enough p/k, or too much nitrogen is also not the trigger.

Interesting, but pointless for this discussion. The trigger for these genetics is 4 hours of dark. :D

therevverend

Veteran
Here's a relevant quote from Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke:

Extremes in nutrient concentrations are considered influential in both the sex determination and floral development in cannabis....high nitrogen levels during flowering often result in delayed maturation and excessive leafing in the floral clusters. Phosphorous and Potassium are both vital for the floral maturation of cannabis. High phosphorous fertilizers known as 'bloom boosters' are available and are known to accelerate flowering in some plants.

M

metsäkana

delayed with nitrogen becouse? stacking more weight? or just pushing more leafs? i have not noticed much delay if all its hard to say.. .. maybe if they burn then it require more time to bounce back.. i use lots of batguano per pot maybe should do compared with cuttings to see but i think they mature about same time

therevverend

Veteran
Not stacking weight but size and pushing more leaves instead of putting 100% of their energy into flowering.
Plants need nitrogen during flowering but most grower cut it way way back. Flushing is another reason growers will say their cannabis tastes like fertilizer instead of cannabis with lots of N in flowering. Also comes out harsher.
It's particularly obvious in hydroponic growing. Soil acts like a 'buffer' between the plant and the fertilizer. In hydroponics there's no buffer the nutrients go straight into the plant and you really taste it when you smoke poorly flushed hydro.
Why do Autos that are root bound start to flower early? If N will delay flowering it'd be helpful to know. If you were out of dirt or delayed planting out you could feed them tea for a few days to keep them Vegging.
Or it could also be lack of space for the roots to expand.
I've seen growers trying to sex plants early leave plants in small containers or deprive them of N in May to force pre-flowers.
And there's the theory that lack of root space increases the possibility of hermaphrodites.
I find all these theories plausible with reasons for or against. No way to know for sure without testing and different strains can react differently to nutrient regiments.
My Sinai from The Real Seed Company is flowering, clusters of white hairs have formed. It started tucking three weeks ago it is very photosensitive. Must have started to switch right after the Summer Equinox. Going to cross it with an early Hashplant male see if I can breed a photosensitive line.

M

metsäkana

beavertastic :D
31310763_200029014141985_467087670649028608_n.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
All of this is off topic.

Nothing nutrient wise is the trigger for these types of genetics. Nutrient ratios can delay or speed up, they will not cancel or start a plant flowering.