What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
im a lil confused. so don't us the AA 8.2 for all major cations? just Ca %

Correct. That is how I do it.

We know that the other elements are not the issue for carbonate formation or as over stated nutrients, it is Ca that is the issue.

Look at the K, Mg and even Na reported by AA@8.2 and then M3. Not a lot of difference. Look at Calcium. It is the over estimation of Ca due to the use of calcium carbonate, dolomite, lobster, crab, oyster, clam or whatever shell that sways the bases, not K, Mg or Na.

All of those sources are made of calcium carbonate which takes a long time to make available and depend greatly on microbiology, humus, etc.. On a short term annual crop the Ca contribution in the soil is very low when sourced with carbonates of one type or another. Plus, when ground fine, increase the pH greatly, causing a whole other myriad of issues.

jidoka

Slow...real question that I would love to hear your opinion on. My best plants finished with a slight K def. they took up Ca like a champ.

You ever feed k < p, say a 4-8-2? What could go wrong with that?

Starting point was 1.5% K and I did not do an aa8.2. Microbe activity was up there though

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Slow...real question that I would love to hear your opinion on. My best plants finished with a slight K def. they took up Ca like a champ.

You ever feed k < p, say a 4-8-2? What could go wrong with that?

Starting point was 1.5% K and I did not do an aa8.2. Microbe activity was up there though

Not enough data. If you finished with a deficiency and started with a deficiency, what should we guess that you did during the grow?

Without AA@8.2 in your neighborhood, you are doing a lot of guessing.

I make my proportions in response to analysis. Anything else is guessing.

jidoka

That is fair. Tissue Ca was 1.5 times tissue K. Never been that high before. Really slight edge burn though. I am not sure fixing it would have improved either quality or yield. Not enough data for sure

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is fair. Tissue Ca was 1.5 times tissue K. Never been that high before. Really slight edge burn though. I am not sure fixing it would have improved either quality or yield. Not enough data for sure

I will assume that the highest Ca you have ever seen came out good?

To answer your question, I would ideally start with 3 to 4 K% and start walking it up slowly. It is important to make a plan which theoretically gets you to say 6 or 7% K prior to flipping. Then push it down again and start working it up as you get further into flowering.

You saw physical deficiencies. (Or so you think using the wrong soil analysis procedure). If you saw physical deficiencies then you lost both yield and quality.

Most don't realize how high the bar is really set for both quality and yield (with quality) potential of this crop.

Buy more meters!

jidoka

Will do. A Na meter. When it hits 50 ppm you can count on aphids.

In heavy soil I prefer acetate K if I want to raise K. Hard to swing a high Cec soil back and forth. Much easier to just spray as needed. That way I can leave Ca and P alone.

But this time water and a couple of PG ferts was it

Edit...and yea the higher I get Ca in the plant the better the quality. Thank you for that. But key to getting Ca in is dropping K ime. I probably lost a little yield. Not so sure about quality. Plus I also find lower K in the soil improves P uptake

Last edited:

prune

Veteran
You saw physical deficiencies. (Or so you think using the wrong soil analysis procedure). If you saw physical deficiencies then you lost both yield and quality.

But don't you really need to see a deficiency to be sure you're running truly flat out?

In my situation, the tips and tops are so hard driven they're always short of something or other... If I get those buds sated it then means there's going to be some claw down below.

EasyGoing

Most don't realize how high the bar is really set for both quality and yield (with quality) potential of this crop.

Yea, it's amazing. I am sure I missed the boat on what SlowN is saying. However I did a pretty good job on most plants this year. The quality is redonk, just strait redonk. You are going to be proud of me SlowN. Thanks for all the help :tiphat:

jidoka

is that Horiba meter readings or actual lab tissue ash analysis?

Horiba. If you do a compost test on coco you find that both the cec sites and the fiber itself contain nacl. The cl blocks P uptake.

Enough fulvic acid will tie both up though.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
But don't you really need to see a deficiency to be sure you're running truly flat out?

In my situation, the tips and tops are so hard driven they're always short of something or other... If I get those buds sated it then means there's going to be some claw down below.

Prune,

You don't want to get into a saturated situation, ever. You need balance.

This means your applications should be balanced. Maintain your P=K, which means a x-4-2 type relationship taking into consideration that this bag analysis is reported in P2O5 and K2O not P and K.

If you are in a situation where you know you are way heavy in K, yep, you better do a corrective.

Ideally, we don't want to see deficiencies. Fading at the end is ok, but really may be hurting more than helping.

Anyone can stress a plant, not many folks how to really feed her and try minimize that stress.

As you can see, there are some deficiencies like Ca that once minimized, elevates the bar dramatically in terms of quality. Hard lesson to learn. Many folks just don't get it, much less push it.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Horiba. If you do a compost test on coco you find that both the cec sites and the fiber itself contain nacl. The cl blocks P uptake.

Enough fulvic acid will tie both up though.

Anions compete as do cations.

Coconuts are grown usually in areas that are pretty salty. Really depends where the coco comes from. In some places, like Petrolina, Brazil, the coco is loaded with B too.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will do. A Na meter.

Edit...and yea the higher I get Ca in the plant the better the quality. Thank you for that. But key to getting Ca in is dropping K ime. I probably lost a little yield. Not so sure about quality. Plus I also find lower K in the soil improves P uptake

Wow, almost missed this one. You are welcome. Hopefully you are passing the message around. No one deserves to own this concept.

And you are so right, at least it seems that way, in dropping K in time. When you be thinking of dropping your K exactly?

Yes, P and K is a balancing act.

And maybe now you can understand why I think working a lighter vs a heavier mix makes so much more sense. Easier to balance as you need less also meaning the soil chemistry moves faster (and obviously cheaper to achieve as well).

led05

Chasing The Present
Wow, almost missed this one. You are welcome. Hopefully you are passing the message around. No one deserves to own this concept.

And you are so right, at least it seems that way, in dropping K in time. When you be thinking of dropping your K exactly?

Yes, P and K is a balancing act.

And maybe now you can understand why I think working a lighter vs a heavier mix makes so much more sense. Easier to balance as you need less also meaning the soil chemistry moves faster (and obviously cheaper to achieve as well).

CEC of your preferred lighter mix? I shoot for 20-25 personally, cheers

led05

Chasing The Present
As you can see, there are some deficiencies like Ca that once minimized, elevates the bar dramatically in terms of quality. Hard lesson to learn. Many folks just don't get it, much less push it.

This is so true slo....if you had to sacrifice a number of other cations but focused on your Ca, or just totally overdid Ca and pushed out others the end results would surprise to the positive , Ca does this for all plants though, and something overlooked by growers of all types..

Dial in the Ca and balance the Rest

jidoka

I time it different...ain’t claiming right or wrong. I want to maintain cytokinin dominance over auxins until bud set is complete. Otherwise you get that stretching effect, particularly in the so called elites. Once cell division is over and my cell walls are built with Ca then I bring the K

F4A71BC1-E475-4750-B5E9-83273DEF8468.jpg

Indo gsc

EasyGoing

Yea, I noticed your approach was different from your comment a bunch of pages back Jidoka. It was interesting.

Dam that GSC looks flame, love me some cookies. Good size flower for cookies also.

Status
Not open for further replies.