What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If you feel like smacking your forehead & saying WTF. Your welcome here. Come on in!

Foreman000

MM I agree with your thinking. That's basically what I've been doing. Through stretch tie a little get it leaning towards the trellis. Little more here & there until stretch is done. What I haven't been doing is training my branches down & to empty spaces on the screen. That's going to change. Also my girls need to be way taller. Over veg sounds nice to me. I have a question for you, or anyone really. I have a 240 w fluorescent light on a adjust a wing style reflector. The glass is U-shaped. Tent 20"x3'x5'. How tall do you think I can get my plants in there with what I got.

Here's another question. When I gain my extra space. With my new veg tent set up, 2x6x7.
Do you think a 4' T5 light fixture will be enough to get my plants to the 4' height I'm looking for before 12/12 ?

Thank you people.

Foreman000

420ish post some pics I'd like to check it out. Don't sweat the Troll business just a name. North of the bridge is awesome to visit, just a little slow for my taste to be a permanent resident. Suddenly I have a craving for a pastie. ��

Miraculous Meds

Subtract about a foot for the pot and a foot for the light and a little clearance between the top of the plant and it sounds like u can get them about 3', maybe 3.5' if ur lucky. Using floro's to veg much past 2.5' gets them a little weak on the bottom of the plant. if ur going to go for 3 to 4' of veg then u might need to supplement with another floro hung vert to help get some light to the bottom of the plants. But u can definitely do it this way with the screens, cause u will have about 3 weeks of stretch under ur hid during the beginning of flower for the lower branches to strengthen up.

Foreman000

Subtract about a foot for the pot and a foot for the light and a little clearance between the top of the plant and it sounds like u can get them about 3', maybe 3.5' if ur lucky. Using floro's to veg much past 2.5' gets them a little weak on the bottom of the plant. if ur going to go for 3 to 4' of veg then u might need to supplement with another floro hung vert to help get some light to the bottom of the plants. But u can definitely do it this way with the screens, cause u will have about 3 weeks of stretch under ur hid during the beginning of flower for the lower branches to strengthen up.

Is that your estimate with the 250 w I have now ? Will I be able to reach 4' with a T5 fixture ? Or is this your estimate for all floro's in veg ?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ichabod I get fill the screen to get the most of your light situation. My question. Grow your plants however tall. I would love a 4' or 5' tall veg plant. Im jut thinking tie her up after stretch. My thinking is I don't want to restrict her growth during stretch. You're sayiny tie her down at the start of 12/12 she's gonna blow up anyway?

There are two ways to use your screen. High intensity light and lower wattage light. Both require different tying methods.

With the lower light you basically have only one light with a lower wattage. Because the light will not penetrate threw the canopy far you tie into a flat plane. Everything that is shaded will be larf and should be removed. This is why you want to tie everything flat. If it sticks out it blocks other buds.

The other way is higher wattage lights that penetrate the canopy. In this set up shading is less of an issue but still can be a problem. Once you run this type of set up you will learn what should be trimmed because of shading. In this set up you can lean the buds toward the light and be less affected by shading.

I run a high wattage set up with two lights. I have found that this set up has the best yield of the highest quality. This is due to the over lapping lights. Even something straight out from the build that is 10-12 inside the canopy can still get light from the other bulb. This makes leaning toward the light more beneficial. It also allows you to have horizontal stretch.

Because I can get away with horizontal stretch I can put a 6-7 foot tall plant into flower and not worry about running out of room. I do no often move my bulbs in flower because I stretch horizontally. If the plant grows to close to the light i just pull it back and retie it to the screen. This allows for a more mature plant. I don't know to many horizontal growers who can flower a plant the size that a vertical grower can. A more mature plant has the root and canopy structure to support better bud development.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
But to answer the question of when to tie it up it depends on your light set up. If you run low wattage cause her to stretch. If you want to spread it out tie her up if not don't. If you are looking at higher wattage tie up early to support the horizontal stretch.

Foreman000

Just when I think I know nothing, I find out it's even less than that. I have one tied flat & doing one a little at a time.I'll play with it for a while until I get it right. For now I'll stick with the one light. If my plants aren't at least 4' tall I don't see the point of firing up the second light up top. Thanks again for all the input guys. Mucho appreciated.

Miraculous Meds

Is that your estimate with the 250 w I have now ? Will I be able to reach 4' with a T5 fixture ? Or is this your estimate for all floro's in veg ?

I was talking floros in general, but my experience is with the 432w t5's. U can get them to 4' but the bottoms are going to be weak or dying off. If ur going to do only one light in flower rather than stacking two then ur going to prune the bottom foot of a 4' tall plant anyway, so it should work. If ur going to stack vert lights in flower then ud want to use all 4 to 5' of vertical lateral branches from the plant. In that case ud have to add supplemental lighting cause a floro isn't going to penetrate to the bottom of a 4' plant. Anything past 2.5' under a floro isn't going to get enough light to do anything really.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I know I am constantly finding out how little I know on here. And if that ain't bad enough people like that Marlo guy show me how much I have forgotten.

Well at least you can say you don't know, I have to say damn I knew but forgot. Or I didn't know that. This site makes me fell stupid and forgetful all the time.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:laughing:.... this guy, lol.

I have one tied flat & doing one a little at a time.I'll play with it for a while until I get it right.

I currently have both happening in the same room also. Every growers setup is gonna require a different plan of action. And even within that setup, different strains will be treated differently.
For instance... in my current run I have the most V-scrog friendly plant way in the back where I get to the least. She behaves well and her structure doesn't require daily attention. The plants that like to grow into the light, or have alot of foliage, or have super thick stems, all have to be treated differently and more often... so those plants get seated closer to the front where I can tend to them more frequently.

As far as the veg'n goes, I agree with what Ich and Med are saying.
Light intensity is very important in veg. I veg in my flower room for a few weeks every run bcus the plants can only get so big under my t5s before I end up with lil shitty branches all over. Veg'n with the HID makes a huge difference. I would love to have enough space to veg with an hid. I'd be able to get an extra harvest every year

:tiphat:

Foreman000

So I screwed off all weekend working on my snowmobile. But I found some time today to work on my renovation. What we have here are some before & after pics people.

Foreman000

The last pic is everything out of there. Hopefully when I get back out there I'll get rid of the old partition wall. Then I'm ready to rock.

Foreman000

i don't see the point of ipads . iphone laptop would have been cool. i don't get why they let me tether my phone to a laptop but not have a military style iphone laptop. the minute i saw they took away the right click button was the moment i knew i would never buy a mac.

Norcalhead I don't understand your bitch. As soon as I got my ipad my laptop was gone that week. I'm not to puter savey as most but I get done what I need to. And I get it done at work, in the backyard , on the shitter and at your mamas house. With no cords. I'm living the dream. If your not down with your mama jokes. I take it back. If u are, come get this bitch out my kitchen:biggrin:

Foreman000

they are like conversation blockers . i can feel the people on them wanting to talk to me and see them not being able to type what they are thinking because they try to use them while they are in those places . people communicating from laptops in normal places don't send me weird messages like people on phones and pads. pad messages are always incomplete and if you cant give a complete message back whats the point of viewing .

Idk buddy for me it's just super easy. Like the women I mess with. I can do what I gotta do without having to call my wife in here every 5 minutes to help me out. Hope that doesn't sound weird or incomplete.
All I know is it's time to >:smoweed:

Foreman000

And not that Im counting but someone round here is getting pretty close to that 50 post mark! Just saying I'm not gonna mind saying what's up to whoever just to get my 50. Not like I need a reason to get down over here. But WTF having a reason makes it all the more enjoyable;):tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts