What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Δ9-THC's closet 4 bucket DWC

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
God if I get some schwag comments after this grow is over Ill just shoot myself and then delete my IC account. Its all good man if it does the trick. Im far from a weed snob so Im just pokin at ya.

EDIT: Just meant because Ive made some upgrades to my growroom. I BETTER do better this grow than last one.

Last edited:

Δ9-THC

Haha, no worries, I'm not gonna proclaim to be an expert.. so I'm still allowed to have crappy lookin buds :bat:

Truth: ya, I hope so. It was ~150g, but I don't know.. plenty got smoked before it was all the way dry. I might start a new thread when things get goin again. Thanks for taggin along, and for the encouragement.

Truth

how much did you yield each plant?

about smoking slightly wet marijuana, there is a term called Decarboxylation. it can be best explained here:

http://cannabisculture.com/articles/2794.html

but what it essentially means, is that when marijuana is still wet, and contains a good amount of water, the THC isn't as psychoactive as it would be when dry. this basically means the potency effects are reduced drastically.

Last edited:

Δ9-THC

I see.. yup, I know what decarboxylation is.. never heard of that pertaining to psychoactive effects. Regardless, I've got plenty of dry stuff now to hold me off for a couple days :sasmokin:

150g/4plants = ~37g per plant

hogwild

37g/ plant for your first grow isnt bad at all, next grow you should get two 600 super hps in there and see what kindof yields you get :chin:

Truth

well first I think he should keep going with the 400w (unless he plans on expanding the amount of plants or size by vegging longer). why? because it will allow him to gain more experience and learn how to dial things in better before he goes off spending more money on lights. of course, that is just my suggestion. 400w lights can yield a good amount when you give good environment, and have good bulbs. people have been known to yield a pound or more under a single 400w light. but realistically, I could see anywhere from a half pound to a little under a pound if you turbo charge certain aspects of your methods.

"150g/4plants = ~37g per plant"

I was just wondering if any yielded a bunch more than another, etc.

hogwild

400 watt metal halides are a great veg bulb, if he was able to cool even one 600 hps it would mean such a huge difference in yield versus the 400 watt mh... it would be economic and wise to get a few grows under the belt first, but it also seems practical and more satisfying to get the yields you want after all that hard work.

G

See Delta..... Hog and I are in complete agreement

See Delta..... Hog and I are in complete agreement

HPS will change your buds, and cut back on the leaves. I would really opt for the next step up for a electronic 600w HPS. Or even 1000w due to your can use the MH for veg and HPS for flower. Make a world of difference. The 1000w will give off heat which will cause you to do some more dialing in but in the end it is worth it. You saw the charts I sent...... The energy turns straight into plant material. Think about it man. That thread had some good deals on the stuff.

Peace

Δ9-THC

Truth: Yes, one of the blueberry plants directly under the light yielded probably 1/2 of the total weight, and the blueberry next to it yielded another 1/4 of the weigh maybe.. i.e. barely any on the grapefruits. I plan to upgrade to a 600w digital HPS for flowering, as I'm concerned that the ballast I currently use is shifting the spectrum of the MH bulb I have (the ballast is overdriving the bulb)

Bree & Hog: Hmm... a 1000w lamp is huge. I don't know if I can deal with the heat produced. I would probably need to upgrade my fans, which isn't cheap it seems. I'm also having problems with my timer. It doesn't seem to turn on/off reliably because of the larger load it's running (i presume). I thought about building a relay of some sort, but do you have any suggestions? What about the 600w HPS + 400w of MH? If I get a digital MH ballast, it could also fire an HPS bulb. That would be 400w MH for veg, and 400w MH or HPS + 600w HPS for flower.

G

Delta.......

Delta.......

You and I have already spoken about mixing the lights. Excellent idea. Hard to get the light foot print to mix with each other. One way might be to hang them both from a board with a central rotating thread and just turn it everyday. Have to reroute the cords each day but would be easy. Less costly than those auto rotators although those are great. A grow store I went to had a light mover and they more than doubled their area. They had carrots of all things growing in hydroton. Go figure.

I agree the 1000w is a large light and the dealing with the heat takes some dialing in. I am not sure they make a HPS is 400w kind of like they don't make MH in 600w. Pain in my ass. I have a 600w electronic ballast I would love to use in my mothering room but I really want to do a MH because the plants look so nice under them and for pics but no 600w MH. The conversion bulbs are shit. I have seen some spectral sheets on them and they suck not to mention the lumen go way down.

I think your best bet would be the 600w electric ballast. Supplement during veg with those curled floros. I have those on my nursery of AK and SD IBL and they put out some light but have to warn you. I was surprised at the amount of heat they put out. Definitely Delta the 600w electric. The eclectic ballast puts out almost 800w worth of light compared to the old magnetic ballast anyway.

How tall is your room or space for growing, part of the problem may be the foot print of light if you have a low top? I will look for a chart on light foot prints with different reflectors. If you have a book it may have one in there. A cooled hood is a must, but if you get it too close to the top the sides don't get light because it is directed down. Balancing act between distance and lose of lumen and spread of the light.

Well, hope any of this helps. Let me know about the light foot print chart. I need to find one for my files anyway.

Peace my friend Delta

Δ9-THC

Hey Bree. My room's footprint is ~5'x2' and is 5' tall. Somewhat limiting.... but nothing I can really do about it right now. I have an air cooled hood, but I need to get the correct socket for it, so it doesn't leak hot air into my cabinet. I think ideally, I would have two lights with smaller hoods, but my plants didn't use up the full 5' last time anyway, but I did have the hood sitting right on the top of the plants. I'll look into buying a 600w HPS as I get closer to flower. I need to get one of those Vortek fans or something too. Are they loud?

G

Hello my friend Delta....

Hello my friend Delta....

You have quiet a challenge there with those measurements. If the top of the canopy gets over within 2 ft of the light the edges will be severely under lit. I looked up a couple diagrams that may help. You may be better off getting another 400w. Check out these diagrams.... particularly combining lights to cover the entire grow.

The shape of the hood and the reflective material really change the foot print also. Here is a page with those type of diagrams.

And I know you know this but remember the energy of light goes down exponentially with each foot away from the light.

That first diagram page has a nice way of covering with 3 lights. I know that is out of the question but the two light method is very good. Due to the constraints on light I would recommend a sea of green. Lots of clones off one plant and as soon as rooted well. Straight to 12/12 this keeps the canopy low and the thickness of the plant growth all productive budding sites.

I am going to do the same thing in the set up I have. I messed up this time because I burned the clones on the floros and over vegged. They are now 4 feet tall. They recuperated too well. I have 3 feet of stems and leaves that are trash. See I plan to put 20 clones in 13 sq ft, as soon as the roots are good move them to the flower room. Only leave upper branches, give them a week to settle in and put straight to 12/12. No three feet of trash. The light penetrates all the productive top 2 ft. I would suggest this idea to you. It requires the clones to do it though. I don't know if you have access to them or an area to keep a mother. With short areas like that it seems to me to be the best way. Then you could just add another 400w. Keeps the electric bill down but with both going you can cover all five feet well.
On the other hand if you want to step up the wattage of your next light you could let the sides grow up higher and pinch and bend the middle but that depends on the type of hood you have. Kind of look those over and my input and tell me what ya come up with. Wish you lived closer. I would let ya use a 1000w I have just sitting there...... you would never go back. On the other hand the way they have those three lights covering and keeping the wattage down so it gets closer to the canopy seems to be the best if you can afford all the ballast and have space. Let me know what you think.

Peace

R

rule35sub1

Bro, sorry I brought this thread back to life, too many ppl razzing you.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Looks like people are just trying to help him fix what went wrong?

I can relate 100% to the light issue. I used a 400w in a similar footprint in my first grow and the NLxBB right under the light also yielded similarly (about 65% of total yield of 3 plants). Obviously the rest of the plants suffered. I upgraded to a 600w digital for my current grow and the difference is very noticable. Low wattage = low density.

Δ9-THC

Haha.. no worries Rule, it's all good. I'm happier to have people try to help than not say anything at all.

Bree: Thanks for the charts. It's always hard to fit generalizations to specific fixtures, bulbs etc. I think a really important aspect is the PAR output of lamps. While my MH and reflector combo may not give me the best spread, I don't have a whole lot of options. I was told that 50w/ft^2 is about where you want to be. 600w would get me close, albeit a bit skewed since it's more concentrated on the center two plants. But hey, if this is going to improve the yield on the center two, that's better than nothing, right? I think I'm going to get a 600w digital ballast + a middle of the road grow bulb and try that before upgrading fixtures etc. I'm not going to be living here forever, so no sense in getting too specialized for a location. It's looking like I may need a chiller at some point too. I've got a fan blasting on my res, and it's at 69ºF, and it's not even that hot out yet.

IGT: Good to hear! If nothing else the digital ballast will give me more light for just about the same power useage (so I've heard), and I'll be able to see the results of HPS vs MH first hand.

I'll probably start a new thread as soon as my clones get into gear. They look REALLY odd from being forced back into veg after some 5 weeks on a window sil with only tap water... shame on me for that husbandry.