What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse advice

Davesnothere420

I am going to be leasing a property this year and it is my first year growing. So I have a lot of questions. To start off I have about 50 300 gallon smart pots filled with dirt and have clones was hoping to not have to spend much more then 20k on this year and was wondering the most cost effective greenhouse for light deps. Hoping to get a good dep crop then rage it the 2nd half of the year. Any advice on greenhouses would be huge. Thank u to all who subscribe

theJointedOne

Veteran
Just a basic hoop house. with rebar stakes and pvc frame is the cheapest.

this.

your choice of gh plastic is crucial for growth.

deps dont have to be super expensive to push out some firrrrrreee ass weed. and lots of it. With 20k i could get handful of cold frames delivered and built, and then you build deps inside with pvc and rebar and panda poly

old schooool

Davesnothere420

Now would it work wise make sense to go the extra mile n don't with steel or is PVC fine. Not trying to save 5k if I invested a lil more n u guys think I would get way better results

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this.

your choice of gh plastic is crucial for growth.

deps dont have to be super expensive to push out some firrrrrreee ass weed. and lots of it. With 20k i could get handful of cold frames delivered and built, and then you build deps inside with pvc and rebar and panda poly

old schooool

What is NOT to be used?

I'm guessing the cheap 6 mil plastic sheeting that only lasts one season is to be avoided but... what else?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got a buddy that's been using PVC frames for about 5 or 6 years. I'm not sure of the condition of the PVC after that amount of time. It may last a few more years and it may not.

If cost is a concern You can go that route.
I'm one for durability and those steel frames will last a life time.

CrushnYuba

I second the steel top rail. You can build a cheap great steel greenhouse. Cheapo auto black out rollers. I got that thread on it. All the pictures are gone but if you pm me i can send you some pdf instructions for building the frame and i can take some detailed pictures of the auto black out.

Pvc is pretty flimsy for anything more then 10ft wide or so. The sun really makes pvc brittle. You can do allot with 20k. You can spend a few grand and have a nice auto greenhouse that lasts a lifetime.
You will probably want to get some smaller pots to put that soil into. Anything over 15-20 gallon is way over kill in light depp.

Manually pulling tarps is such a commitment. Don't underestimate it. I won't do it. You will have to be at the property every day at the same time to cover and uncover for most of the summer. If you are ok with manually pulling blackout, i would put up some simple 6ft wide row hoops.

S

Sertaiz

yuba, how much are you paying for a ten foot section of top rail?

edit, looked it up home depot is ten something for a ten foot piece if bought in 20 or more pieces

that is not crazy expensive and if i had more than 800 to put up mine, i would consider it. i have very little wind, painting the pvc for offgassing will work right?

im figuring on a 40 long, by whatever 40 foot of hoop gives me wide.

Last edited:

CrushnYuba

yuba, how much are you paying for a ten foot section of top rail?

edit, looked it up home depot is ten something for a ten foot piece if bought in 20 or more pieces

that is not crazy expensive and if i had more than 800 to put up mine, i would consider it. i have very little wind, painting the pvc for offgassing will work right?

im figuring on a 40 long, by whatever 40 foot of hoop gives me wide.

I don't think you can build a pvc house that wide without some major lumber support. You will end up spending the same as top rail bit for a temp structure. 40ft of hoop will give you a 24ft wide, 12ft tall hoop. 30ft gives you a 20ft wide 10 ft tall hoop. 24ft wide is basically the max you can do with top rail even.

I think a 12ft wide, 6.5ft tall hoop using 20ft lengths of pvc would be the biggest i would do. Maybe do 2 of them. It's not offgassing id be worried about. Its uv damage making it brittle and cracking. Im sure there is some way to paint it to protect it. I haven't done it and I'm not sir how cost affective it is but I'm sure it would help.

Around here, people either do big steel automated greenhouses. Or they do little rows it of pvc that are easy to cover by hand. Like 6ft wide and tall.

S

Sertaiz

hmm.thanks for the advice. i have a small 20 foot section bent greenhouse that is 20 long and its not quite enough even if i made it longer, but i have seen some big ones made its just a more serious structure.
ya 40 feet of hoop is what im planning on, for fairly.cheap. ill let yall know what goes down, not to threadjack. with nice 8 year layered plastic.....

24 wide by 12 high is helpful, ill bend two pieces and measure to that...

Davesnothere420

So if I'm trying to build gh with steel how do I go about it also I already got like 40 300 gallons filled with dirt that's not gonna come out my cost. Also got a friend who can start clones inside so when would be the soonest I can get them out what would should I do to the dirt? What all do I need for the gh? How many pots should I get since it seems like it would be smarter to transfer the dirt? Also how many lights n what type of lights should I get? Also a friend said something about a solar panel generator idea? Do y'all prefer that or propane or just both?

Davesnothere420

I second the steel top rail. You can build a cheap great steel greenhouse. Cheapo auto black out rollers. I got that thread on it. All the pictures are gone but if you pm me i can send you some pdf instructions for building the frame and i can take some detailed pictures of the auto black out.

Pvc is pretty flimsy for anything more then 10ft wide or so. The sun really makes pvc brittle. You can do allot with 20k. You can spend a few grand and have a nice auto greenhouse that lasts a lifetime.
You will probably want to get some smaller pots to put that soil into. Anything over 15-20 gallon is way over kill in light depp.

Manually pulling tarps is such a commitment. Don't underestimate it. I won't do it. You will have to be at the property every day at the same time to cover and uncover for most of the summer. If you are ok with manually pulling blackout, i would put up some simple 6ft wide row hoops.
PMed u about the pdf if u could send that. Thanks for all the advice.