What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Razorback hog in my area

militia420

So I've got a razorback hog that I've encountered up close once already and today I found fresh shit down in the area where I plan to put some plants. What am I gonna do about this guy? I figure I can put up some hogwire around the couple of spots I have picked for plants. I planned on running an irrigation line from a stream source but I don't know if he could/would tear it up. I already took a leak near it's shit to try to influence whether it comes around. I might take some dog shit with me next time to throw all over the woods since there are people who hunt with them in this area.

I've read of other people ordering predator piss to spread around. Does this work? Is there some reason why pitbull hair and poop wouldn't suffice?

I also decided I should probably start going to the spot with my 1911 because there's no way I'm outrunning that thing if I stumble upon it.

I can't get hits searching for "hog" since it's three letters. I found some threads one hogwire but I'm all ears and no hunting this thing isn't an option. I can't get it out of the gulch if I shoot it and I don't want gun blasts alerting people in the area (unless it's trying to save my life from a hog with 3-4inch tusks.)

ic

https://postimg.cc/image/ffih2ay3r/

ic

https://postimg.cc/image/9fupy9nhj/

therevverend

Veteran
Glad I've never had to deal with hogs I can't think of anything more destructive besides man. One of the pitfalls of removing all natural predators from an environment.
If the hog wants the plants it'll get them. Maybe find out what farmers do to keep their pigs from getting out and destroying their crops? I'd guess it involves fencing several inches into the ground. Hogs are so bold I'm not sure if the predator scent would be a deterrent but it's worth a try. Hogs have a strong sense of smell.
What about trapping? It would be dangerous, you'd have to get up close to the bastard. Wouldn't want to try to kill it that way, but maybe a blow to the head with a heavy ax? At least you'd have pork to eat.
I don't like poison, it's indiscriminate and unfair.
Hogs usually run in groups so there's probably several of them. I guess I'd try fencing, predator scent, planting away from the pigs, and trapping as a last ditch, my crop is getting destroyed, effort. Trapping won't work if it's a herd.
Try other key words besides hog for your search. Feral pig, wild boar, they have a lot of aliases.
Yeah I googled 'How to protect your garden from feral pigs'. Bunch of solutions and products. I think you'll find your answer there. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I know growers in Hawaii, California, the South, and other places with hogs who'd be very interested.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hogs are extremely strong. Look at how a pig fence is built, because this is what you'll need to set up to keep them out. They're smart, they're cantankerous and they eat a lot.

The only 'real' solution is probably to kill it or trap and release.

militia420

Glad I've never had to deal with hogs I can't think of anything more destructive besides man.

That's the bitch of this situation. I've never had to deal with them, but their reputation precedes them and I know all about the year round open season in most States for them. I really REALLY would just like to shoot him with a 30 cal in a humane fashion and be done with it but unless it's life threatening I don't see that happening. The grow spot will be ruined due to attention from the noise of a 30 cal going off in a gulch.

I'd guess it involves fencing several inches into the ground. Hogs are so bold I'm not sure if the predator scent would be a deterrent but it's worth a try. Hogs have a strong sense of smell.
What about trapping?

The hogwire I've got should do the trick but I think for my own safety I'll need to run that line over a bigger area to reduce my chances of running into him. I really doubt any one will be going through that rugged area but the cost benefit ratio seems to lean towards covering a larger area to keep him out. Looks like another poster is recommending portable electric lines. I've never heard of that but reading through some other threads on deer the thought of some high voltage lines crossed my mind. There isn't an organism alive that intentionally messes with HV. I'm definitely going to spread dog shit all over the place. It can't hurt. It's minimal effort. I just really want effective solutions. I did think about trapping too. I've got the gear for things up to coon size and maybe a bit bigger. This razorback is huge though. His legs and hips are the size of a great Dane, no exaggeration. The only trap I think I could run is a very heavy duty steel line to snag a leg but that SOB will wind up attracting more attention with screeching than if I just shot him. The third night of living at this place I was out smoking a j and I heard this guy screeching at the end of my yard and rooting around. That sound carries way too much at night here.

It would be dangerous, you'd have to get up close to the bastard. Wouldn't want to try to kill it that way, but maybe a blow to the head with a heavy ax? At least you'd have pork to eat.
I don't like poison, it's indiscriminate and unfair.

I'm already a medical user. I'm too messed up to be doing any hand to tusk combat ;). Poison is out of the question. I agree it's cruel shit. I was thinking maybe before I set up the gulch area for a grow I might try locating some other locales that knife hunt with dogs to see if they want a go at him. It might be the only way to physically get rid of him and if the area has no prep work done then the hunters would be none the wiser (unless they decide to grow there too DOH!).

Feral pig, wild boar, they have a lot of aliases.
Yeah I googled 'How to protect your garden from feral pigs'. Bunch of solutions and products. I think you'll find your answer there. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I know growers in Hawaii, California, the South, and other places with hogs who'd be very interested.

Good idea. I'll keep digging. Will post what ever I decide to do and results.

militia420

Hogs are extremely strong. Look at how a pig fence is built, because this is what you'll need to set up to keep them out. They're smart, they're cantankerous and they eat a lot.

Believe me I've seen what this one's rooting has done around the area. He's flattened out a bunch of areas in the woods where he must sleep and rest during the day. My brother had a deer lay on a 3ft sativa which flattened it. I can't imagine what this beast would do if it laid on the plants rather than eating them.

The only 'real' solution is probably to kill it or trap and release.

I really just want to off it. There's no shortage of them here. I don't want the risk of getting gored, or having to explain why I was defending myself with a handgun from it. Even if I get the thing offed I planned on putting up some sort of basic fencing for the plants. This is a headache as safe grow spots accessible to someone with bad tendons are hard to find on this volcanic island. Appreciate you cutting to the chase with the most likely solutions.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
I'd kill it with a bow. It's silent and nobody is the wiser. If you cant drag it out of the gulch then bury it deep or drag it off deeper into the woods and let all the other forest critters eat on it.
Do you think it is alone? Seems as though hogs like company. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others in the area.

militia420

The products I'm seeing are portable electric fences.

Ah it was you recommending the portable electric fences. Sleep deprivation made me miss that. I really like the thought of this but I think it would be ideal for almost every thing but a boar or a large game predator. I really don't want to run into this f'ing thing. Those pictures I posted were of it 10 feet away eating palm nuts. It didn't see me when I opened the door to step out and catch a buzz, but I was looking right at it's ass end and it looked a bit like a super tall dog that was kind of ragged. I managed to step back in and get my phone camera to take video before it turned and faced the house. It's very keen. I only had the camera sticking out of the door but when I accidentally moved it a little too much twice this guy stopped eating and stared for a minute assessing the situation. I've heard him going up and down the neighborhood when he comes up from the woods. There's children and pets in the area so I'm gonna see if I can't get more info on some knife and dog hunters who might want a go at him for free game and meat and to help keep the neighborhood safe. As long as I get it done soon I should still have time after the fact to get the spot prepped for some plants.

I need that bud. Ain't got the money to buy and growing is therapeutic. I appreciate the feedback and I'll read up on the portable electric fences tomorrow.

militia420

I'd kill it with a bow. It's silent and nobody is the wiser. If you cant drag it out of the gulch then bury it deep or drag it off deeper into the woods and let all the other forest critters eat on it.
Do you think it is alone? Seems as though hogs like company. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others in the area.

This guy is definitely alone. I know they tend to travel together but I think he may be an older alpha. I've never seen or heard him with others. He's an actual razorback. I've seen feral black pigs and I know people in the neighborhood who have caught some of those ( I might talk to them about this guy but I don't think they want to mess with him. The black ones are definitely more docile.) Bow hunting ain't a bad solution and I know someone who does that so you just gave me a possible solution for dealing with this boar and making use of him so he doesn't go to waste. The black ones don't scare me the way this one does. They're docile and I've heard them fleeing the area when I was outside making noise. This razorback strikes me as the type to stand his ground and possibly gore me in a testosterone filled rage. I've got a small to do list now for options to be looking into. Some of them I should have thought of but I'm persistently sleep deprived so nothings simple any more ( I'm all out of the strong indica I grew in 2016, this grow is hopefully gonna set me straight for a while). Thank all of you for responding with suggestions so far.

U

Ununionized

The electric lines are reputed to be very real because they make actual small animal control fence, that has metallic thread run through a rope fence.

There's also motion sensor sprinklers. The high dollar ones are completely free standing and have their own reservoir.

The cheap ones go almost all the time, nearly everywhere, for 39 bucks. But at times you find them for 20 and I bought 2 at 20.

These don't have a big fountain pump, they use the household pressure from a water hose.

When I got mine

I had people crossing a fence to cut across a property I owned, so I got on Ebay and bought a can of cheap pepper spray.

I turned off the faucet to the sprinklers and walked back to them and disconnected the hoses and let some water dribble out.

Then into each feeder hose, right there by the sprinkler, I shot half the can of pepper spray into one...

walked to the other corner, took off hose & emptied the rest of the can into that one.

Twisted the hoses back on, and turned on the water.

The next weekend sure enough the one where they crossed all the time went off, and douched the area with pepper spray piggy backing on the water from the sprinkler.

Nobody ever came across the yard again that I could tell.
=========
Pepper spray for people is many times stronger than the stuff for dogs and bears.

Since many people actually eat capsicum in their culture, a lot of people have a pretty good resistance to capsicum so it has to be up at 15, 18% to pause/stop/drop tweaker.

On the other hand all the stuff for animals is capped by law at like... 2% or something like that?

I think a lot of the cheap stuff for dogs, is like 1.75%

If you decide to get a portable sprinkler you'll have good luck - but if there's much pepper in the stuff it'll kill the plants, so beware that a little bit.

People use water alone to deter animals. Personally if I was guarding a crop against animals I'd get more sprinklers - and use SOME kind of irritant and just not have them spray the plants I think because of the high effect of capsicum on most animals.

I didn't shoot mine onto important plants, I was GONNA grow some and I had to cut off the tresspassing.

I haven't done this - but people hook up two red l.e.d.s and run them at night, looking over an area, and it repels some animals because they think it's eyes.

You can look that up on youtube.
====================

For those whose minds are incessantly looking for some kind of way to guerrilla something together,

you can in fact build your own homemade self contained sprayer.

You get a battery that'll drive the pump on for 30 seconds to a minute at a time - and you you buy a little cheap-0 inverter.

Just find the smallest one you can get,

and get a motion sensor,

and when the sensor sees motion, *clack* a little switch slams shut

- 12-Volt power goes to your inverter,

that you've plugged your fountain pump into -

the output of the pump, fires the water up into a rotating sprinkler head sticking up on a stem of pipe.

The pump sits in a five gallon bucket.

There's a hole in the center of the bucket lid, for the feed pipe to come up to the sprinkler. Typically you fire it from lower - not higher.

The motion sensor is arranged as you see fit. It's on wires so you can put it right on the riser pipe for the sprinkler head if ya want: one piece to move and manage. You just pick up the 5 gallon bucket by the handle to move it.

The one I saw built on youtube, was built by buying the motion sensor from Ebay I think.

Last edited:
U

Ununionized

I'm just talkin, cause I had a commercially made, water-hose driven one of these before, but I think if someone built themselves one or two of these, the options actually get down to being this cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Body-I...h-For-LED-Light-Strip-Automatic-/222858150639

Then you gotta have some kinda cheapie inverter, here's one that'll plow 100 watts - $15.00

https://www.amazon.com/Ampeak-Power...ords=power+inverter+for+car+cigarette+lighter

Here's a battery 12 V, 5Ah - $15.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPG-UB1250...117138&hash=item1c299c73b6:g:IOQAAOSwzvlW-r4d

This solar panel is ten freakin watts: $17.00 American.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-Watt-1...205071?hash=item467971b24f:g:v~EAAOSwFFtaufS0

I'm not expecting you to be building one of these, I'm just pointing out that

you're a five gallon bucket,
stick of pipe,
$2.00 sprinkler,

and one of your old pond pumps away from having a fully automatic motion sensing animal sprayer.

This is the kind of adjustable sprinkler mine has: you can adjust it for longer throw, medium, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-3...161665?hash=item5b3c634141:g:kooAAOSwmVBZgtCH

So, that's my story and I'm stickin to it. Unless of course everybody makes fun of me for bein' a dummy, and nobody'll act like they like me, and nobody'll talk to me, in which case all this shit's completely flexible, and might be completely different.

Peace on ya hippies;

Don't pepper spray yourselves

Last edited:

MrBungle

mmmm... pork chops.... glazed ham..... marinated pork loin..... pulled pork shoulder.... bacon!! What was the problem again? :D

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Since hogs are an invasive species in Europe, along with much of the mainland USA and Hawaiian Islands, there are several proven methods of silently terminating the porkers with extreme prejudice, which are hopefully legal in all states.

Snares spring to mind right away. Look online for some really stout aircraft cable snares with cam-locks and swivels, and set several of them along the paths taken by the hogs, taking care to wear gloves in order to avoid leaving human scent on your sets.

To greatly increase your odds of success, set multiple snares in the same vicinity, to catch "spectators" that show up and mill about, to investigate previously caught colleagues.

A couple of dozen heavy-duty snares will fit easily into a small back-pack, and with that gear ready to set out, you will be poised to do some serious damage to the hogs.

To make sure that your uninvited guests are dead when you arrive to check your traps, pound a stout 18-inch "kill-stick" in the ground close to the snare anchor, so that the beast will wrap the cable round that peg, and expire.

sdd420

Veteran
Here in California we have javelinas and they tear up the golf courses. They hire hunters with dogs to control them

U

Ununionized

The thing about building your own, and I guess about buying one too, is that - you don't have go around buying pepper spray, wasting money like I did.

Since any kind of irritant level is adequate to displace animals, you just boil some pepper, whatever seems to be cheapest - I think it's generally, red pepper - strain it, pour it in, and you're on.

When they're made from a 5 gallon bucket, you have a full five gallons of "Hey come here, critter, I wanna tell ya a funny story," workin.

With mine, the cheap ones you attach to a water hose, not as much.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
I've talked to my friend who's farmed on Hawaii. He say the fences are buried into the ground and the chain link turns 90 degrees and turns out towards the outside. It goes out like this for six inches or more. This way when the hog digs it hits metal chain link. He said it confuses them and they give up. But he also said if the pig really wants in it gets in.
So it's only the big boar you've seen? That's good because a pack of young boars would be the worst. There is the possibility he has a harem and piglets hidden in the woods. Once you get rid of him another king may move into the area.
Someone else said dogs and I agree. Of course there's a lot of dogs in the south with tusk wounds..

militia420

I've talked to my friend who's farmed on Hawaii. He say the fences are buried into the ground and the chain link turns 90 degrees and turns out towards the outside. It goes out like this for six inches or more. This way when the hog digs it hits metal chain link. He said it confuses them and they give up. But he also said if the pig really wants in it gets in.
So it's only the big boar you've seen? That's good because a pack of young boars would be the worst. There is the possibility he has a harem and piglets hidden in the woods. Once you get rid of him another king may move into the area.
Someone else said dogs and I agree. Of course there's a lot of dogs in the south with tusk wounds..

There's other pigs in the area. The razorback was the one I was most concerned about because he's huge and I don't want to surprise him while walking through the brush to my spot. I'm still in the process of getting a spot prepped though and haven't moved any thing to where it can get annihilated yet. I'm putting serious thought into this pepper spray contraption though. I think one setup with a remote to disable it could allow me the easiest option for controlling the area. This part of hawaii has a lot of flow from the 1800s and so you actually have to build little container areas that you dump your soil into to grow plants. There are plants that grow in these harsh zones but I'd never try to plant a pot plant without a custom soil mix. If I had spots on the East side of the Big island I could dig into the ground and get away with less soil prep because there's more top soil.

Any way, I have reservoirs from a previous delayed watering system that I might be able to convert, or I'll just camo up some home depot buckets and make a DIY project. I have a really strong water pump from a custom built cloning aerial/water spray system that didn't work out because of temperatures and rot. So I could run line between 4 buckets and make a perimeters to hose down these hogs.

These fuckers are so destructive there's a stone wall near the area that's been partially toppled so they can cross between the bush country and the semi developed neighborhoods.

U

Ununionized

I'm not trying to give you too much information but I think plants when they get up where they have some size, can handle some pepper.

I was erring on the side of caution but check this out. This guy lives down in Louisiana, hence that accent; and he sprays pepper on the adult plants, TO DETER the ANIMALS.

Maybe you don't need a motion sprayer, till later. If at all. I understand you do need one, but check this out.

https://youtu.be/6fN2LTMRYgg?t=1m33s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vWBaoNQs9k

Watch these second people make some, and how much they put on. It's a LARGE amount.

When they're applying it like that, it sure doesn't seem like it's very dangerous to those adult, but still not particularly tough seeming plants.

If you've got to remote control sprinklers, run a line around the nearest corner that you can untwist the ends of, and it'll de-power it

You can just interrupt battery power by taking off the wire nut and untwisting the ends, pull em separated - battery's disconnected.

Last edited:

grayeyes

Your best solution is a bow hunter. Quietly poking a nice bloody hole through the razorback. Then carnitas for everyone! Or if it is a nasty smelly one then its pork sausage.

Good luck!