What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bone Meal vs. Bat Guano for Afternoon Tea

St. Phatty

I have been getting in the habit of mixing up a Bat Guano tea, with about 1 tablespoon of dry guano powder per gallon of water.

The guano is "Down to Earth" brand, 0-7-0. $13 for 5 pounds.

I also have Hi-Yield Bone Meal, 0-10-10. $5 for 4 pound.

As the summer grinds on and I get tired of spending money on grow supplies, I'm tempted to use the Bone Meal because it's laying around.

I have the general feeling that the Bat Guano dissolves better - just a feeling.

But - I used Bone Meal for yesterday's afternoon tea, and it's not like the plants died or anything.

When I mix up soil, I use both the bat guano and the bone meal for the Phosphorus, just smaller amounts of each.

So I like them both. I'm just curious what people use for their afternoon teas for their plants.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I've been alternating teas using high P guano and high N guano .
I dont measure, just eyeing it but I use about a cup -cup and a half of guano in a seven gallon bucket along with the usual compost, molasses , a dash of floralicious+ and a squirt of cal/mag.
I'd imagine that although the bone meal is brewed in a tea, it is still not as readily available as a high P guano would be.

St. Phatty

Bone meal is best mixed in the soil as it takes a long time to break down.

Maybe that is connected to what I see when I mix it.

It doesn't seem like the bone meal dissolves. It stays as a film on top of the water. Then when I pour the bucket of water (with bone meal) on the plant for an afternoon tea, it leaves bone meal residue on the mulch.

Actually, the bat guano leaves a residue too. About half of it doesn't dissolve. But also the water gets cloudy and brown and it seems like it dissolves.

It's "all good", I re-use my soil. The bone meal I put on yesterday could go to a fruit tree or to grow sunflowers next year.

Also, with a guano tea, I gather we wouldn't want it to all dissolve. Then it might be too hot - like a tablespoon of pure chemical fertilizer which is not the goal.

Basically, I'm trying to -
* cool the roots on super-hot days
* give the plants some TLC in the food department

+ I enjoy it = Agro therapy :woohoo:

I have been getting in the habit of mixing up a Bat Guano tea, with about 1 tablespoon of dry guano powder per gallon of water.

The guano is "Down to Earth" brand, 0-7-0. $13 for 5 pounds.

I also have Hi-Yield Bone Meal, 0-10-10. $5 for 4 pound.

As the summer grinds on and I get tired of spending money on grow supplies, I'm tempted to use the Bone Meal because it's laying around.

I have the general feeling that the Bat Guano dissolves better - just a feeling.

But - I used Bone Meal for yesterday's afternoon tea, and it's not like the plants died or anything.

When I mix up soil, I use both the bat guano and the bone meal for the Phosphorus, just smaller amounts of each.

So I like them both. I'm just curious what people use for their afternoon teas for their plants.

Hello

Are you still using both and happy?

Im thinking Use 50% Guano 50% Bone Meal saving money
And
reduce some smell indoors i think you also need Guano.

Bone Meal is anyway best mix in soil from beginning i have read ?

Bone Meal is also best use only in Veg.

Blood Meal is better than Bone Meal in flower ?

Because
Bone Meal releases much slower than Blood Meal ?

You also need stop using Bone Meal 5-6 weeks before harvest?
Blood Meal you need stop use 3 weeks before harvest?

russian_social_networks_35.jpg

igrowone

Veteran
thread is bit old, but then again so am i
anyhow i used to use bone meal tea for quite some time
read up thoroughly and learned its ins and outs
the tea takes a long time to brew, provided you want high availability of the nutrients
bacteria will break down the bone, and it has a special odor all its own
it is rather good stuff, but talking a good 4-5 weeks to get a good tea
it's used in the industry for many of the organic cannabis brews
too much of a pain so i let it go, maybe get the hankering for some more soon
it really does work well

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I must spread some rep around before giving it to Teddybrae agin!!

Somethings driving me batty - Oh shit its not the four word thread.
Oh no Alzhimerish gobbles - shit.... still not in four word thread

Last edited:
Done one mini test.

Took Bone Meal and Blood Meal 1 tea spoon each.
Put this in a cup with 1dl water. Mixed it well with mini latte mixer and let it sit 24h.

The smell is nasty like rotten animals and aliens.

Now i have it bubble in one gallon water. Smell is not so bad now.

Next time i use 50% less Bone and Blood Meal. +50% Guano.

The Guano is fantastic if you grow indoors. This smell nothing.
You need this indoor at atleast 50%

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Done one mini test.

Took Bone Meal and Blood Meal 1 tea spoon each.
Put this in a cup with 1dl water. Mixed it well with mini latte mixer and let it sit 24h.

The smell is nasty like rotten animals and aliens.

Now i have it bubble in one gallon water. Smell is not so bad now.

Next time i use 50% less Bone and Blood Meal. +50% Guano.

The Guano is fantastic if you grow indoors. This smell nothing.
You need this indoor at atleast 50%

Love how you know what aliens smell like, and hope you dont make a latte with that mixer again. :tiphat:

My wife say THIS SMELL fat rotten pig now here.
Bone Meal and Blood Meal is outdoor only i found out.
How can people do this INDOORS?

I stay to Guano and try Alfalfa Meal.

Latte mixer is fucked also. i can´t use this with Latte anymore. :)

I also got little of this horror nasty thing on my fingers.
I have wash my hands 3times and my fingers still smell like i
I DONT HAVE WORDS for this.

Bone and Blood Meals is PURE HORROR ,NASTY GORE style if you use it indoors.

smell my fingers please, and the room. Maybe Russian Bone and Blood Meals contains rotten aliens also?

I am a man, dont worry, im not gay either. Anyway there is limits how far you can go even for a man.

TERROR . GORE. O-M-F-G.

Sad Guano is expensive.
Also sad this need travel across the world before plants can have it like i live.

Alfalfa Meal, now i must read about this.

Thank you all for helping.
Happy weekend

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Exactly....and not knowing WHERE the bone/blood meal came from (rendering plant, etc.), we quit using it several years ago, along with feather meal. They won't tell you on the package that it comes from tainted animals. And bats carry diseases, too, even though decades ago we used guano.

Would rather use alfalfa meal...it's slow release and improves your soil, SAFE & EFFECTIVE!

I'm getting v-e-r-y particular in my old age as to what goes into plants after seeing the list of pesticides, fertilizers used in recreational bud.

No NEEM, animal meals for me! Plant based fertilizer/teas are the best and replenish our soil (when mixed in) and can be used as tea.

Good luck!

We maybe must stop use animals to feed our plants ?

In Nature these Canna Medical plants live a life without animals.
Only in Pure Nature they stay FINEST.
Alot SUN. Poor nute levels.
This iS actually one of the hardest plants existing.
They have survived without animal poop always.

Badfishy1

Exactly....and not knowing WHERE the bone/blood meal came from (rendering plant, etc.), we quit using it several years ago, along with feather meal. They won't tell you on the package that it comes from tainted animals. And bats carry diseases, too, even though decades ago we used guano.

Would rather use alfalfa meal...it's slow release and improves your soil, SAFE & EFFECTIVE!

I'm getting v-e-r-y particular in my old age as to what goes into plants after seeing the list of pesticides, fertilizers used in recreational bud.

No NEEM, animal meals for me! Plant based fertilizer/teas are the best and replenish our soil (when mixed in) and can be used as tea.

Good luck!

Why don’t you go KNF FTW?