What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

American Looking to move to Uruguay

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
Hello,

With the new legalization laws in Uruguay, does anyone know how easy it would be to grow marijuana there and maybe even open up a coffee shop like they have in Amsterdam for tourists?

Thanx in Advance

Docteur

Not easy, cannabis isn't legal yet in uruguay, and in south america, cannabis is thrown under the bus with the harder drugs.

yet..

good luck if you have any questions or will like to understand the culture i'm basically from these region

ozman

Hey DOC,what is the laws and the police like there,do they hassle you about it?do they throw away the key if you get busted for posession? I have been thinking of going somewhere else out of country.I was thinking of Chile myself.But Uraguay mite be something to think about as well.Almost anywhere is better then living in the U.S.S.A.(no its not a typo)

From what I have read, only Uruguayan citizens will be allowed to purchase cannabis in pharmacies. That unfortunately will create a new type of black market street dealer, one who buy the maximum 40 grams per month and then sells to tourists or "unregistered users".

Flying Goat

Lokes & Honey Boo Boo - I live up in Punta del Diablo, up the East coast from Kayaman... Was reliving this beautiful thread today after reupping here at ICm.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like. I love it here, have been here since 4/20 of 2011... Auspicious arrival date.

Kayaman is down in the MVD area and much more knowledgeable than me on the EXACT legal status, who to connect you to, etc.

Up here on the frontier, very relaxed. If I can figure out again how to navigate this site, will show you my 2012-2013 grow and our place we're building in the woods above the town...

Great vibe, but I loathe the first 2 weeks every year. More than 40k tourists pass thru inside a 6-week timespan... New Year's until mid-January is a nightmare - no sleep for the nightclubs, unless you know where to stay... ;p

If you'd like to make a trip, c'mon down. Hubs is doing a 90-day contract job in the gulag, so I have the upstairs room empty, with 2 single beds, until Dec. 20 or so... opening of high season. Then, I move in with my landlady and she gets $6k a month on this house. I pay $225/mo in low season. It is the way... <Zen moment>

If you prefer your own digs, most of my friends have nice places that aren't a budget buster... If you can't come before December, wait until after Easter weekend. Airfares drop like a rock and so do the rents.

We stay in my forest house during the summer (also available if you don't mind "roughing it") :D Think mosquito nets, no running water but rainwater trap, sawdust composting toilet, washing clothes by hand, but lots of cool privacy & shade, away from the dust & wind of town, yet an easy walk to the beach, or take the 4-wheeler.

I have a massage client who is staying in the house this summer, but bring a small tent & you're welcome to the pick your own spot.

Best you plan 10 days or 2 weeks. Dont' plan to rent a car - $70/day & must be back where you picked up. Take the COT bus from the airport directly to PDD, check it out a few days, then head back down by comfy bus (COT, Cynsa, Ruta del Sol) and check out the scene in Montevideo...

I'm a country mouse, not a city dude. I'm working on getting self-sufficient with chickens, rabbits, organic veg, etc. on my small place... For when my pension gets eliminated, heh, heh. ;p

Have my eyes on a chacra of 10 hectareas where I can spread out & make a real profit, a working farm... MUCH opportunity for those who don't mind sweating to make it. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

And no chemtrails, earthquakes, volcanoes, or cyclones... Today, we have strong winds off western mountains (Andes) so internet is in and out,... But we're tranquilo...

Muy, muy tranquilo.

Feel free to bother me. I'm over 50 & have FM & when it's chilly, I'm inside next to the fire. ;p

Besides, apparently I need to post 50? just to be able to PM? I'm gone a couple years & must requalify... Like a driver license, eh?

Chaucito.

FG

Root Boy

I bet you guys there in Brazil can get daimn good soil for cheap price...
terra preta for example...? ore am I wrong? ;)

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
I bet you guys there in Brazil can get daimn good soil for cheap price...
terra preta for example...? ore am I wrong? ;)

Better late than never Unfortunately no. Brazil has not been a cheap place to live. Unless you're paid in dollars or euros. Gardening is one of the most practiced hobbies and you know market laws. The best way to get terra preta is composting your organic residues, cuz you'll pay more than 10 bucks a kilogram, humus is as expensive as that. I'm here to improve my organic skills since the best organic is the cheaper one, that one you prepare in your backyard.

Latest posts

Latest posts