What's new

Seedling Q's :)

I have about a 12-day old William's Wonder that's got some funky leaf action going on as well as a Chemdog Bx2 w another issue...Here are some pics...

I'm using an organic recipe (LC's Mix #1-Peat, Perlite, Lime and Compost) and have yet to give them any nutes whatsoever. Temps are from 70f-80f throughout the day...They're squat but definitely workin on its nodes :) I'm not too worried about the twisted leaves as I am about the spots on the Chemdog...

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
pics didn't come thru. my first thought based on your limited info would be that the compost is too strong for your plants.

I believe I had them private, and just changed it. Hope you can see them now...Thanks for checking it out!

Oh, and I don't believe the mix is too hot...I have quite a few other seedlings that growing quite healthily, one being another Chemdog...:dunno:

E

EvilTwin

3rdEye,
Twisting leaves and browning leaf tips are both classic for too much nutes for the plant at that stage. So I agree with Jammie.

Why do you think they make special seedling mixes?
ET

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
hey there 3ew- the 3rd and 5th pics show leaf tip burn= too hot/imo. the yellowing could be ph issues. ya may want to check some runoff. some lime is slow or fast release, so it may take a little time for the ph to stabilize. those are the only two things that i can think of that would affect a plant that young. it sure can't be lockout or deficiencies. good luck

I think it could very well be PH, as I didn't let the lime cook beforehand....But I'm assured repeatedly that the mix doesn't contain anything that'll harm seedlings by certain resident organic gurus....I think they'll pull through though. Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
It could be high ph, but by looks alone I say the mix is too hot. It's better to go with pure H2O then even a tad too much ferts... the plant doesn't need much to thrive man. Less is more ~

E

EvilTwin

I think it could very well be PH, as I didn't let the lime cook beforehand....But I'm assured repeatedly that the mix doesn't contain anything that'll harm seedlings by certain resident organic gurus....I think they'll pull through though. Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it

What sort of lime did you use? Dolomite is ph neutral.
ET

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know these organic gurus personally, but here's the deal on nutes for seedlings. They don't need any. Nutrients are just like light or water, a plant needs lots of both and responds as you crank either one up, but soon a tipping point is reached. A hot mix that might make a larger plant grow like crazy will definitely be too much for a seedling. How many times have we seen the larger plants growing fast and healthy while the two or three smallest ones look miserably burned because they're on the same feeding sched or premix? A mix is only too hot if the plant looks pissed off about it. As many local 'resident organic gurus' have pointed out, yours do look pissed. Also, the solution is not PH, it's repot.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
But I'm assured repeatedly that the mix doesn't contain anything that'll harm seedlings by certain resident organic gurus....
Do these certain, resident, organic, gurus grow cannabis? All seedlings are definitely not the same and cannabis seedlings REALLY require almost no nutrients at all.

Not saying your mix is too hot.... just saying that cannabis isn't your local garden variety plant.... it's used to thriving on neglect. (It doesn't grow what we want from neglect... it continues the species though.)

Stay Safe! :tree:

EvilTwin - Yep, dolomite lime. From what I gather from the organic heads here is that it'll take a bit before it starts bringing up the ph to a more suitable range caused by the acidic peat...

Mr. Greengenes- Thanks for the advice. I think I'll repot them soon, giving a little more time to see if it works itself out...

Hydro-Soil - Yep, they sure do grow the fine herb. :p It's BurnOne and Co. :) I'm starting to think that perhaps since I filled the the 16-oz cup they're in(1/4th of the way) before adding the perlite into it(because it was a little harder than expected to find some around my way this time of year, and was afraid of letting the germed seed stay too long in the paper towel), that perhaps they're suffering from lack of root space or oxygen down there already? IDK, every other strain is having no problem whatsoever...Pretty happy bunch at this point and the only difference is they got the perlite and therefore a bit more soillless mix to start with..

The WW is growing fine despite the twisted appearance...However the ChemD's first and second set of leaves are getting worse....But so far the latest growth isn't exhibiting any of this, so I hope the worst has passed already.

Hope I didn't lose y'all at all and I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks again!

Oh and BTW, in case you begin to wonder...The perlite you see in the pics was added on top, to bury the stretch of the seedlings(not just perlite, but the complete mix)...hopefully they'll start growing roots out of the now-covered stem soon and bounce back. :)