What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

!! Need help PH keeps changing...

coldwater

I have my plants growing aobut 3-4 weeks old i changed my solution for the seedlings and the leaves are all starting to change to yellow and droop. I have been checking my ph ever two hours and it keeps changing, as in rising from 5.5 to 7.0

What is going on?

mark1253

Hi Mate, I'm on my first grow and was having problems with PH until I discovered my (cheap) digital meter was fooked:wallbash:

Just a thought.............good luck:yeahthats

joseaf

Check your meter. I had the same problem with a cheap meter. I purchased a good pH meter and the problem went away alone with the cheap meter.

More info is needed to help coldwater....
Ebb and Flow table?
Recirculating drip?
DWC?

Hydroton? rockwool? Does your nutes have a ph buffer in them?...etc....
Usually hydroton and rockwool need to be condioned a day or so... DWC buckets(individual/non-recirculating) when topped off with plain ph balanced water need adjustments every few days...

More information needed on your style, system, and medium...

coldwater

Im using drops so its not mechanical. I have them back in the seedlings solution. Their not very old look at this pic. There are 4. I cut all the old yellow leaves. there was no browning or spots just the leaves turning yellow very fast.
DSC_0275.jpg

coldwater

P.s. there is rockwool with all the plants I am using General Hydroponics chem. Its in a one gallon tub with 2 air stones temp is staying at 75 F

coldwater

Did you pH stabilize the rockwool before using it?

I did when they were still seeds. But not recently? I just tested it again and its starting to look steady now at about ~5.5. I will check it again tonight.

What would cause the PH to go up with no addition of new water or chemicals?

Think this stress will make them turn out to be male? My last batch was stressed at birth and they all turned out to be dudes.

Are you using the 3 part GH nutes?...I'm not sure if there is a ph buffer in those or not. I'm using the Flora Nova 1 part concentrates, Grow and Bloom, and since they have a ph buffer...the ph doesn't fluctuate as rapidly. Also, are you changing your water solution as needed? Only a 1 gallon container...is that correct? I would think thats way too small an amount of water...you'll be topping that off frequently...with ph balanced water! Could also be heat in your res from the air pump if you've only got 1 gallon of water in there...Not sure tho.

Don't run out and buy a new ph meter...Take it to the hydro shop and test it against one of theirs in one of their systems with whatever they are growing...it could be defective and need a new electrode...or be under warranty... I had a similar problem, took my meter over to a friends and tested it against his meter and found mine to be fubared, so I went and got a new electrode and the problems went away...

They look like they just need some nitrogen to me(of course that doesn't solve your ph problem)...but hopefully some others will chime in w/their thoughts... I'm using much bigger systems with reservoirs and recirculating systems along w nutes that have ph buffers in them...I think if your only using a 1 gallon reservoir...that could cause your ph to change rapidly.... Don't get too frustrated tho...take your time to figure it out, and chalk this up as a learning experience. I hope I've helped to some degree, and I'll check back with you to see what's happening... Correct me if I'm wrong on the 1 gallon res....

BCity

I Agree with Midlife, everyone here uses ph meters I just use those droppers had a mate bring round his ph meter and I was at 5.7 so there pretty close. This looks like the root zone shutting down because of too high ph. drooping down claw like( high ph) yellowing of the leaves, nitrogen deficiency your plants wont be able to up take nutrient in that high ph zone.
You haven't said what ph is out of the tap, I assume you are adjusting the ph to the desired zone before topping up your tank.
that being said, check your meter or just buy some drops, adjust water ph before topping up but really I think you need a bigger resevoir or R/O water or both.
Bigger resevoirs are way more stable and easy to manage, that tiny 4L res tank is just going to cause you hassle's,
every time the plant does something the change in ph and ec is going to noticeable.
Just my 2 cents good luck bringing those girls back

coldwater

yeah my tub is only a small 1 gallon. The thing is that they were fine for 3 weeks. Healthy as shit! Now I changed the chem to the same that they were before and all this is happening.

The PH of the water before i add the solution is super hard around 9 but I do correct the water before adding solution and check it after.

I have never had this problem before this week. I have larger 10gallon tubs that I put them in when they are much bigger and I use my 400w HPS. They are to young for that bright of light.

Its not heat because my air pump is in a separate room bringing in cooler air and the room temp is staying about ~75f

ibjamming

Veteran
Are you getting enough water circulation? Looks to me (VERY untrained eye) that they may be drowning. I'd try to get that oxygenated water moving around. It looks tight in there...

Not sure what you ment about the light being to brite.I start seeds and root clones under a 1000w with no problem.Even my 1000w compared to the outside sun where seeds where started before lights is like a candle.

coldwater

Ok well I have just bought a new Rubbermaid tub that holds 2 gallons. I added that, also added some more air into the tub. Better stones and bigger pump. They are slowly starting to look better. I sure hope that this stress will not make them dudes. The tall one is a good bud seed from Cali. some OG. I only have the one.

Well I will keep an update going to see where they go.

Thanks all :joint: