What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue Cheese 100 Gallon Organic Outdoor Grow

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
This is my first attempt to grow a large outdoor marijuana tree. I needed a cold and mold resistant strain that would tolerate cool rainy weather here in the tacoma, washington area.

I got lucky and found one Blue Cheese seed in a $20 eighth from a nearby rec shop called Green Collar Club. Super lucky find, bred for cool and wet UK climates.

I germinated the seed on march, 22, 2017.
picture.php

A few days later i planted it into a small plastic pot about the size of a solo cup. Filled with kellog's patio plus organic soil, perlite, a pinch of dr. Earth all purpose 5-5-5 fertilizer and a pinch of dolomite lime powder. It was then placed under a 1000w hps a good distance away. It stayed in that pot for about 2 weeks and then went into a 2 gallon pot.

May, 5th, 2017
Bought soil, perlite, and nutrients from home depot.
6 bags 1.5 cu ft kellog's patio plus organic soil
2 bags 2 cu ft vigoro perlite
1 bag 6.75lbs espoma organic dolomite lime
2 bags 8lbs jobe's organic heirloom tomato 2-5-3
1 gallon alaska organic fish fertilizer 5-1-1
32oz alaska organic kelp extract
picture.php

May, 7th, 2017
Day 1 outdoors.
day 46 from germination.
Plant about 12 inches tall.
picture.php

Mixed soil and filled 100 gallon pot.
70 gallons kellog's patio plus
30 gallons perlite
6 cups dolomite lime

Fed
3 cups jobe's heirloom tomato food
5 gallon water with:
2 tablespoon alaska fish 5-1-1
2.5 teaspoon blue moon mega roots

May, 21, 2017
Day 14 outdoors.
Day 60 from germination.
Plant about 16 inches tall.
picture.php

picture.php

Fed
5 gallons water with:
5 tablespoons kelp extract
3 teaspoons blue moon mega roots

may, 25, 2017
Day 18 outdoors.
Day 64 from germination.
Sorry phone was dead no picture :(

Fed
3 cups heirloom tomato
5 gallon water with:
5 tablespoon alaska fish 5-1-1
5 teaspoon blue moon mega roots

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
May, 31, 2017
Day 24 outdoors.
Day 70 from germination.
Plant is 3 feet tall.
picture.php

Fed 10 gallons water
6 tablespoons kelp
6 teaspoons blue moon mega roots

June, 5, 2017
Day 29 outdoors.
Day 75 from germination.
Plant 3 feet tall, 3 feet wide, 3 feet deep.
picture.php

Fed
3 cups jobes heirloom tomato
10 gallons water with:
10 tablespoon alaska fish 5-1-1
10 teaspoon blue moon mega roots

So far the plant has been growing naturally and i have not started any pruning fearful i would stunt its vigorous pace of growth.

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Thanks, Ive been following mendo dope, the soil king and lurking on the forums for a few years now following the big organic outdoor tree growers. Luckily the bag seed i got seems to like what its been getting haha.

ManyManySpliffs

I'd have a backup plant or two, just in case you end up with a male. You have all your eggs in one basket so to speak, anything go horribly wrong and its season over. You don't want to go all season outdoor and not have anything to show for it. Make good use of the sun and all those nice products you bought. Its best to have multiple plants for such contingencies. That's just my 2 cents..

Right now I got 34 bagseed babies going outdoors that I just popped about a week ago and I just threw 12 more beans in water to germ yesterday. That'll bring my numbers up to 46 if they all pop. After killing males, I expect to have about 38-40 ladies left. I usually end up with a higher ratio of women than males. Even with all that thought ahead, I could still end up with less than 25-30 plants. Anything can happen between now and harvest time.

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
June, 9, 2017
Day 33 outdoors.
Day 79 from germination.

Topped main top and did LST to side branches.
picture.php

Front side
picture.php

Back side
picture.php

June, 12, 2017
Day 36 outdoors.
Day 82 from germination.

Fed 10 gallons water
10 tablespoon kelp

@ManyManySpliffs
I hear ya on the backup plants, i usually have mothers and clones going indoors as well. Had to take an unexpected hiatus about 6 months ago and lost my mother plants and equipment.

I assumed the seed was from a hermie, and its showing pistils now so bullet dodged there lol. Honestly i must be really lucky, all like 30 of the bagseeds ive popped over the years have all been female...

This grow is meant to be sort of a test on everything ive learned about organic and outdoor growing, having only done indoor grows with chemical nutes the last ~6.5 years.
I tryed to do this grow as cheap as possible too, in total i spent about $180 and no power bill :). My soil and nutrients were off the shelf from home depot which is also a first for me.

@NorCalGrowin
Ive been scared to try outdoor where i live because of the rainy weather...UNTIL NOW!
The main reason i put a plant outside this year is because of its advertised mold resistance.

Still though Ive been thinking about building a cover for it during flower to stay on the safe side. Id like to wait till after the stretch to see how tall it gets.

mikado1

June, 9, 2017
Day 33 outdoors.
Day 79 from germination.

Topped main top and did LST to side branches.
View Image

Front side
View Image

Back side
View Image

June, 12, 2017
Day 36 outdoors.
Day 82 from germination.

Fed 10 gallons water
10 tablespoon kelp

@ManyManySpliffs
I hear ya on the backup plants, i usually have mothers and clones going indoors as well. Had to take an unexpected hiatus about 6 months ago and lost my mother plants and equipment.

I assumed the seed was from a hermie, and its showing pistils now so bullet dodged there lol. Honestly i must be really lucky, all like 30 of the bagseeds ive popped over the years have all been female...

This grow is meant to be sort of a test on everything ive learned about organic and outdoor growing, having only done indoor grows with chemical nutes the last ~6.5 years.
I tryed to do this grow as cheap as possible too, in total i spent about $180 and no power bill :). My soil and nutrients were off the shelf from home depot which is also a first for me.

@NorCalGrowin
Ive been scared to try outdoor where i live because of the rainy weather...UNTIL NOW!
The main reason i put a plant outside this year is because of its advertised mold resistance.

Still though Ive been thinking about building a cover for it during flower to stay on the safe side. Id like to wait till after the stretch to see how tall it gets.
You doing it about right for your first time.

Slabs

Everything looks great man seems like this isn't your first rodeo. real ballsy move only popping one bean lol but luck seems to be on your side. keep up the good work :dance013:

PDX Dopesmoker

…I assumed the seed was from a hermie, and its showing pistils now so bullet dodged there lol. Honestly i must be really lucky, all like 30 of the bagseeds ive popped over the years have all been female...

I had 5 out of 11 bag seeds as males last year. I'd accuse you of stealing my luck, but I also managed to get an all female seedpack of regular seeds.
Congrats on the big girl, Blue Cheese is one of the best flavored smokes out there.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Thanks for all the good vibes, suggestions and laughs eveyone haha, time to update!

June, 18, 2017
Day 42 outdoors end week 6
Day 88 from germination

Front side
picture.php

Back side
picture.php

Top after topping
picture.php

Fed
5 gallons water with:
10 tablespoon alaska fish
5 teaspoon blue moon mega roots
2 teaspoon great white mycorrhiza

The last about 8 days have been cloudy skies and intermittent rain, and i topped it the day before the crappy weather. And the plant has still grown another full foot taller and is now 4ft tall from the soil! With the pot its even height to me at 6ft.

When i went to lightly scratch the dry fertilizer into the top of the soil, fuzzy feeder roots were literally like 1mm beneath the surface poking up everywhere! The blue moon mega roots must be doing its job!

ManyManySpliffs

Ibechillin is the blue moon mega roots a rooting hormone or root stimulator and what the heck would be the difference between the two? I got some GardenSafe TakeRoot Rooting Hormone and I figure it's for cuttings when cloning, but I was wondering if I could use it for another application. Sort of like what your doing with the blue moon mega roots. This stuffs active ingredient is Indole-3-butyric Acid at 00.1%. Is that stuff good for the plants? Anyone with experience with this stuff or rooting hormones in general feel free to chime in.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ibechillin is the blue moon mega roots a rooting hormone or root stimulator and what the heck would be the difference between the two? I got some GardenSafe TakeRoot Rooting Hormone and I figure it's for cuttings when cloning, but I was wondering if I could use it for another application. Sort of like what your doing with the blue moon mega roots. This stuffs active ingredient is Indole-3-butyric Acid at 00.1%. Is that stuff good for the plants? Anyone with experience with this stuff or rooting hormones in general feel free to chime in.

Its a root stimulator, Essentially the mega roots seems to be a combination of everything you would get out of a good compost really. Humus and humic acid both are naturally occuring substances created from composting organic material that aid in nutrient uptake and help colonize beneficial bacterias.

Kelp is famous for having plant growth regulators/hormones. The same way steroids and human growth hormone kick our bodies into overdrive, kelp does this to plants.

(kelp literally has auxin growth hormone, the main growth hormone in mmj! Less is more with this one as too much could overload and kill a plant)

I know that additives like biothrive are just b vitamins that aide in reducing plant stress.

Takeroot is the exact powder ive been using for years to get cuttings to root, im not sure exactly what the benefits could be/are by using it as an additive.

picture.php

picture.php

ManyManySpliffs

i meant superthrive, my bad lol. :laughing:

Yeah I was like biothrive.. lol but I gotcha. I already use superthrive and did some reading up on that stuff I got. It's useless for feeding, only good for cloning like the bottle indicates. I think I overfed my seedlings today. Usually I wouldn't even have fed this early. I'm being too anxious to get this grow on the way and making newb mistakes. I know what to do but I'm just not doing it. I have to get back that patience zone I had 2yrs ago. lol or else I'm a wind up killing everything off before I really get started. I need to stop coming on here so much, it can be torture sometimes lmao. I'm looking at my lil ones and all you guys got big beautiful girls. I need my ladies to hurry and catch up, but won't and I need to accept that. I started late and there's nothing I can do about it but wait.

Latest posts

Latest posts