What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends what you consider "worth" it, If I am allowed 5 plants I can keep multiple mothers or fathers/mothers and keep my plant count low. Im not to worried about time when I am using my grafted plants as mothers/father plants...

Why are we making the naive assumption that big bud gets its yield from its roots? There are genes that control flowering size yield etc...
Root stock resistance is not going to be a common use of grafting in cannabis...

I dont see people who have to worry about going to jail for plant counts of tomatoes so of course the uses will be adapted and different, its a different crop.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Depends what you consider "worth" it, If I am allowed 5 plants I can keep multiple mothers or fathers/mothers and keep my plant count low. Im not to worried about time when I am using my grafted plants as mothers/father plants...
Here’s an interesting thought…open pollination. Graft a bunch of males to one plant and a bunch of females to another. Put them in flower and have an orgy…kind of.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
im using it to put two p-1 of my strains on one plant so if i want more beans i can just flip it.
Nice way to save p1 if you have limited plant count.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
plant size starts in the roots...increase roots and you get bigger yields. Big bud and money maker have some of the biggest root masses around and thus deliver big buds....not sure why you would not understand this.

This argument is ridiculous and I'm not going to go further with you... It will be like a puppy chasing its tail. Genetics determine yield, when you graft two plants you aren't changing the genetics.... If I graft something onto cookies roots am i going to get low yields that look like cookies? NO. If you take a big bug scion and put it on a cookies root stock will the yield be reduced due to cookie roots? NO. Your yield will be influenced by the size of the rootmass you grow regardless of what you graft on top... Whats on top will be determined by the genetics of the plant.

Root grafting is predominantly done with diseases resisant root stock not with yield in mind.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I dont quite know how to get thru to you.....

1. male plant..... has only male flowers which are imperfect....

2. female plant ..... has only female flowers which are imperfect....

3.. hermaphrodite type 1..... has male flowers....and female flower both imperfect....(balls)

4... hermaphrodite type 2.... has female flowers...which are imperfect....and other flowers containing sex bits from both sexes... or perfect flowers.....(nanners)

Budley Doright

Veteran
What sex is a plant with female flowers and has male flowers on the nodes?????

I have yet to learn anything from you......by the way.....

sts isnt stress.... it inteferes with ethylene signaling

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll put up ANY strain grown in a 100 gallon bucket to ANY strain of your choice and you use 50 gallon bucket to grow in...guess which will be the bigger plant? So ummm yeah...yield is root based. :)

And oh yeah....knock knock..mcflyyyy.....plants that get more root mass when grown in same size container....it...you guessed it...genetics :D

If you use cookies as rootstock..you will not get the big yield..because you will not be using a big yielding strain's rootstock..and YES the yield WILL be reduced if you use cookie rootstock.

Take the same strain....put one on cookies rootstock and one on big bud...of course the big bud rootstock will end up with highest yield.

its your argument, prove it bro, your blah blah makes no sense and you have a poor understanding of plant taxonomy and biology.
Some plants will not even show intersex traits without chemicals then your argument against grafting come crashing down.

Yield and flower formation is root based not genetic, got ya chief...

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you think you are the first guy who thought grafting a plant onto big bud roots would increase yield? If it worked like you are saying everyone would have been doin it for decades and selling clones grafted onto big bug roots,,,, no??? LOL

You are quoting papers you googled, I can do that all day long. Show me the papers that say roots size and not genetics controls yield and flower formation. Would you like me to post papers proving genes control yield and flower size? Your good at googling do it yourself...

Show me where someone grafted a cannabis plant onto big bud roots and it increased yield yes?

Again it is your argument so please post some cannabis related research papers on grafting proving your points.

You always post about other vegetables, nothing on cannabis.

Here is a site on grafting cannabis: hXXp://www.cannabis.info/gb/abc/10008303-grafting

Found easily on google, may not be the best reference but it's decent. No where does it claim that one can increase yields by grafting...

Edit: replace the XX in hXXp with tt

You always post about other vegetables, nothing on cannabis.

Here is a site on grafting cannabis: hXXp://www.cannabis.info/gb/abc/10008303-grafting

Found easily on google, may not be the best reference but it's decent. No where does it claim that one can increase yields by grafting...

Edit: replace the XX in hXXp with tt

The link gives instructions, but seems more theoretical than a practical guide from a practicing grafter.

ozza

Veteran
Look I'll teach you some grafting. First forget all the bullshit that you are filling your head with on the internet. Second go buy a punnet of tomatoes. Third Put each tomato in a pot seperate. Fourth Grow it for a while. Fifth graft them, many ways to do it compared to what results you want. Sixth try some fruit trees and others. Seven go learn why things won't graft. Eight once you have done this and experimented with cross species grafting come back and show us what you found out then instead of spouting rubbish with no actual links, references or without just regurgitating things you think back you up.

It is OK to act stupid if you truly are. Trying to sound smart makes you look more foolish.

Here is a patent about poinsettias. http://www.google.com.au/patents/US4724276

It basically says they have a process which develop new cultivars through grafting. After a graft is made the rootstock change the tranferred scion growth patterns, structures and more. So transfer of genes or modification of genes can happen through grafting in the plant world and it possibly could happen with cannabis.

I'm not going to sit here research for you and tell you how to graft. Maybe if you had of asked this instead of spewing random untruths, and if you had an open mind and asked politely, you may have had a better response.