What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rockwool mystery

tiffa

I tried some growdan rockwool cubes layered into the middle of my supersoil mix pots, a bit of synganics. But no roots took into the rockwool! ...They had a good 3 month veg too. My rootballs looked like Oreos with the center missing.

The roots were only interested in the mud and amendments, what the actual hell? Any ideas? is it because there was no food to go at in the cubes? Roots established just fine in just cubes alone in previous grows. Thanks

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The Cation Exchange Capacity is different with each substrate, as well as a different pH. The water nutrient concentration for rockwool should be much higher than the soil with every watering. Those two substrates are not compatible.

If you want to mix a mix that has a super high CEC, "Cation Exchange Capacity" and is compatible, put a super soil one gallon pot with a vegged plant into a five gallon pro mix or sunshine peat. Feed low dose with every watering and you will see the fastest most heaviest yield in the quickest time. Chest high plants in five weeks and stem busting heavy buds!

St. Phatty

I have a bunch of small rockwool cubes.

was thinking about using them as seed starters, then putting them in soil.

Anybody tried that ?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I have a bunch of small rockwool cubes.

was thinking about using them as seed starters, then putting them in soil.

Anybody tried that ?

Clackamas coot says he uses rockwool for clones and transplant into living soil. He considers it to be organic as it is just basalt heated enough to make rockwool.

I wouldn't want the extra cubes to dispose of myself.

tiffa

Yes, works great. I put a dash of soil into the hole the bennies deal with the PH so I can water straight tapwater and the young'un have a tiny bit of food with the added advantage of rockwool for fast rooting.