What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

should plants in vertical grow be rotated?

H

HappyDog

Rotate 'em till it's a pita then tie to something. Moving the plant is like roasting a hotdog, rotating it to help it finish evenly on all sides. Mother Nature does it by the sun rising in the east and setting west. If you want back side development run some florescent tubes on the wall. Be sure to use the clear plastic bulb covers. HD.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
There are two schools of thought on this subject:

1) Rotate, nicely explained by HappyDog.

2) Let them be. This one says that you will always have popcorn in the inner area of plants.

Usually, growers place the plant close to a reflective surface and let the plant grow towards the vertical light.

My two cents:

Now, how about a vertical / scrog on wheels for each pot.

Like a "L" shaped base/scrog frame on coasters so it can be moved around. Unit height and width can be tailor to suit lamp type and room.

Hang the 600W, surround it with at least 4 panels and let the plants grow and fill up the mesh.

And you have a vert/scrog on wheels!

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
As soon as they go 12/12 leave them ..... the buds will be airy if you keep rotating it

As OjoRo says put reflective sides on the cab .... 4ft square is the perfect shape to take 4 plants around a 600

H

HappyDog

They become airy because they need to "cook a little longer". I think rotating isn't really necessary if you harvest the colas and let the rest go for a while longer.
Scroggin' sounds pretty swell.

l33t

Veteran
by rotating plants you can give em more light without seeing any light stress probs on leaves.

On the other hand some plants seem to dislike being moved around/rotated and they can show stress signs.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rotating or moving forces the plant to spend more time with it's leaves mis-aligned to the light. That's why people find a lower yield, or 'airy' buds. I'm amazed that such products like those automatic rotating devices actually sell. Rub a few brain cells together and it's obvious, really.

H

HappyDog

Thats why sog is so attractive. Build a solid plant canopy w/ no side branches and the light is easily spread and none are in the shade and you grow only colas. the major drawback is the high plant count and the expense of rockwool.
No matter how you slice it there is only so much coming out of any garden. Effort + Time + Expense= Yield.

There are two schools of thought on this subject:

1) Rotate, nicely explained by HappyDog.

2) Let them be. This one says that you will always have popcorn in the inner area of plants.

Usually, growers place the plant close to a reflective surface and let the plant grow towards the vertical light.

My two cents:

Now, how about a vertical / scrog on wheels for each pot.

Like a "L" shaped base/scrog frame on coasters so it can be moved around. Unit height and width can be tailor to suit lamp type and room.

Hang the 600W, surround it with at least 4 panels and let the plants grow and fill up the mesh.

And you have a vert/scrog on wheels!
do you have a picture of somethin like this?...thanks a lot to everybody for suggestions.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Hello,

It is my policy to avoid pictures.

But here is some info:

Base: 1/2" plywood, able to fit pot, drainage pot (essential for flushing) and Scrog frame.
Coasters are screwed to the base.

Frame: I prefer to use 2"x1" wood and staple the mesh on it. Remember it is a "L" design in which the lower part of the "L" attaches to the Base.

The rest is the same as SCROG, just vertical.

For instance, lets say you've got 1 600W HPS hanging vertically. You can surround the bulb with frames that are 1 meter wide by 1.75 mts tall.

Four of those units can surround the bulb.

You must adapt to your growing conditions and bulb wattage.

PM if more info is needed.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
When I grew outdoors, the north side of the plant lived in shadow with no direct light at all. We never threw out the north side of the plant.