What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco perlite / Coco soil mix PH?

Ny2CaFuse

Greetings!

I recently started a new grow, and I'm running into some issues with what appears to be a late stage calcium deficiency in one of the plants that came on pretty quick. I'm guessing it's a result of ph lockout, but I'm confused on what my PH should be.

I'm running a 50/50 blend of the following products:

https://www.rootfarm.com/products/hydro-garden-coco-coir-blend/
https://www.rootfarm.com/products/hydro-garden-potting-mix/

So essentially a lot of coco, with some added amendments from the coco soil blend. The mix retains/drains water like coco, but it's solely fed the plants to this point like soil, aside from some kangaroots feedings. The mix has been great up until this point with solid healthy growth, but this single plant has thrown me for a loop.

Should I be PH'ing for soil, or for coco? Should I shoot for a sweet spot in between?

-Fuse

Last edited:

Ny2CaFuse

Tap that goes through some whole house filters to remove some colloidal clay. PPM around 100-120 depending on the day.

Feeding now with Maxibloom and the occasional Kangaroots feeding, under 800ppms total in the feeding. PH has been in the 6-7 range going in. I haven't gotten a reliable reading of the runoff though, as it's fluctuated with the different PH level feedings I've attempted.

I was planning on doing a straight flush the next watering to see if it's a salt buildup in the soil. There are definitely some signs of nute burn on some plants, but not on others. I may just feed straight water and a bit of CAL-MAG for a week to see if it improves.

I'll see if I can post some pics tonight when the lights come back on.

-Fuse

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
sorry i got lost

sorry i got lost

If the media dries out, then the nutrient left behind will turn to salts and have to be flushed more often. If not then there shouldn't be a need to flush as often. Say as in coco

Ny2CaFuse

So I decided to start feeding plain water PH'd @ 6.2-6.5. All my issues went away. I guess the soil that was in the mix had plenty of food left to feed, and I was causing nute lockout due to excess feeding. The plants are now 20 days into 12/12, and they are moving along nicely now.

I ordered up some coco for the next round though so I control feeding a little better.

Thanks for all the input all.

-Fuse

Ny2CaFuse

OK... I'm stumped now. I was good since the last post, but in the last two weeks, more so this last week, this came on hard:

picture.php

picture.php

PH going in is between 6.2 and 6.8. I don't have a meter, so I'm testing with ph test strips. Crude, I know. PH coming out in the runoff is between 5 and 6.

Feeding with Calmag and maxibloom at varying ppms, from 700 to 1100, trying to figure out if I wasn't hitting the right PPMs for how far along I am.

The issue is also presenting itself in different stages on different plants of the same strains, so it's not like it's universal across the board. However, it's all on the upper fan leaves, and the lower leaves seem unaffected.

I've also scoped the bottoms of the leaves, and there are no signs of pests, so I'm pretty sure we're good there.

Getting to the point where I'm sure if it continues, the harvest will suffer, but if I can get it now, I've still got enough time to turn it around.

Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated!

-Fuse

maimunji

Thats magnesium you coco eat cal mag from buffer and plants starved. Dump cal mag at full dose until they green healthy then goes down slowly and stop giving them pure water.

Ny2CaFuse

Thanks, maimunji! I'll give it a shot and report back!

Do you think a foliar feeding of epson would help? How far along into flower could I do something like that?

-Fuse

maimunji

Thanks, maimunji! I'll give it a shot and report back!

Do you think a foliar feeding of epson would help? How far along into flower could I do something like that?

-Fuse

In my experiance no it doesnt help. They perk a little and greener for hours but... i experiment with some really high ppm foliar with epsom. I also foliar cal mag, rhizo, silica, catalyst, aspirin. Once they looks like this you need to feed the buffer ignore ppm of run off. Hope this help dump cal mag and watch new growth once they start to grow you can back to normal feeding next time go to pure coco its easy.

Ny2CaFuse

Yeah, I should have just gone pure coco, as I was good with it in my last grows. I've got some good coco on deck for the clones I have right now, so the next batch should be easier to manage. This whole not knowing whats in the soil and what's missing thing has been a pain in the butt.

Thanks again for the advice, mate!

-Fuse

Latest posts

Latest posts