What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose; or I've got a better mouse trap

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Over ten years have now passed since I became involved online in trying to convince growers to stop discarding soil after harvesting cannabis. My true hope was for a turn to no-till living soil growing. One of my ways of expressing this was 'bugs n' all'. Some people embraced this wholeheartedly and reported various levels of success. Most problems were overcome with patience or small changes in inputs or 'bug' populations.

Some growers understandably did not have the space (or inclination) to contain large volumes of soil so they used the next best technique of re-amending - recycling their soil - growing media. In both processes growers were making their own nutrient concoctions, composting, starting worm compost systems and using locally acquired organic matter topdressed. This in itself has a profound influence on reduction of waste going to landfills and environmental pollution.

This style of growing also builds character and knowledge as gardeners learn and zen through interaction with soil, plants, materials, etc. The value is, as so many wise people have stated, in the journey. The easy way is not always the best way. Neither is what people want.

One caution is to not become obsessed with exact ingredients on someone's mix. Use what is reasonably local to you. Shipping long distance can pollute too.

A member of a ICmag forum recently posted "Ha Ha! Fat Lazy Rich Americans!" This is a good warning for those really wishing to be enfolded by natural growing. Are you just buying into the new 'bottled nutrient' replacement commercialization of horticulture? (to make it easier)

True many people have turned away from using the instant feeding formulas of bottled nutrients BUT have they now turned to instant so-called living soil water only mixes? American entrepreneurs have glommed onto the whole living soil and microbial based horticulture trend to cash in as per usual. Some of these have done so responsibly, through research and education and I say power to them in their efforts to teach growers to mix their own growing media and use raw organic and mineral materials.

There are other strictly business people who see only dollar signs and think they just need to copy the ingredients and hustle the market. 'We make it even easier for you; no mess, no fuss. It's instant, add only water!' Then buy more for your next crop! Why is this so different from bottled nutrients?

For growers contemplating this format, why not just purchase the finished cannabis? What is the point of growing?

To repeat my mantra, "Living soil is about the life in the soil, not about the ingredients in a mix." This life depends on soil structure, volume, plant life, organic and mineral matter and microbial hierarchy. The latter takes time to establish optimally.

Everyone is free to grow exactly as they wish. There are many ways to grow cannabis, most with pros and cons however I wish everyone would call a spade a spade.