What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why CO. is better than anywhere else for legal cannabis!

shaggyballs

Veteran
I made this thread for those who want to talk about the great things going on in CO. right now!

Let's here from everyone that wants to share the good news.

Last edited:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I also have a MMJ card so I figure I am pretty legal. The best part is not watching over my shoulder for any sort of trouble. I am still getting used to that as I am old enough that I have years of watching people getting busted by LEO and people being sent up to the big house. I grow for a hobby and also go to the medical dispensary for new varieties and flavors.

shaggyballs

Veteran
I also have a MMJ card so I figure I am pretty legal. The best part is not watching over my shoulder for any sort of trouble. I am still getting used to that as I am old enough that I have years of watching people getting busted by LEO and people being sent up to the big house. I grow for a hobby and also go to the medical dispensary for new varieties and flavors.

A very valid point made here!

Last edited:

satva

Veteran
Colorado homegrown, it doesn't get any better than that! No one other than yourself to blame!

Maybe if the Colorado homegrower knows what they are doing. I see so much more shit around in this state then I ever saw in Cali. Where's the quality buds herbal elements use to rock.

monsoon

Herbal Elements, like all other med outlets, hasn't bought buds from homegrower's since July 2010. If the quality of their weed has dropped, it isn't anyone's fault but their own.

On topic....I share BOMBAY's take. After 15+ years of hiding it all in the crawlspace and a lot of sleepless nights pre 2000/A20, and after 10+ years of med cards/fees/Dr's visits under A20...it's nice to just have the right to grow without fear of losing my home whether I'm "in count" or not. (usually not)

The beauty of all putting in all those years (other than the cash..LOL) is that I got to stay home with my kids...and along the way I lost the paranoia over having my garden.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, it's great to grow in Colorado.

However, having lived in several other states pre-MMJ cards and all (since the late 1970's-early '80's), you just had to have common sense when growing. Simple, but true.

Don't tell folks about your grow.
Don't be greedy with the amount you grow.
Don't screw anyone over.
Make sure areas inside or outside are not in view.

Those factors listed, I/we saw several friends and acquaintances go down because they were boasting, grew way too many plants, tried to skimp or sell moldy stuff (their own fault) and had light leaks or a trail to their area.

BE SMART, you have less risk.

Now with autoflowers, the time table is successive from late April, early May- late
September into mid-October. No big giants to fret about, and easy to conceal. Plus, hybridizing strains creates the best of both worlds. ;o)

monsoon

Are there any local organizations working on MJ initiatives in your state, wait?

Colorado's laws didn't just happen. Many folks like myself volunteered multiple times to collect the needed signatures to get these measures on the ballot. First with MMJ in 98-99...then with recreational. The first try for rec pot FAILED. It took a second try and the promise of huge tax dollars to the schools to get it to fly.

It WILL take 15 years if everyone sits and waits for it to happen. Guaranteed.

Til then...fire those lights and make it happen anyway. Good luck

monsoon

FYI...There's still a MMJ dispensary on the Western Slope called Herbal Elements. Thought you were talking about them. Guess not!

Colorado is awesome if you know how to grow. Not so awesome if you have to go to the store to buy it. :)

99% of the shit at the stores is just plain bullshit.

I am leaving 1% as a possibility of something that I have yet to see. :)

monsoon

Not true, wait. Our governor isn't in favor of any of it...and there are a lot of other politicians and rightie folks here (we're a Red State even if we have legal pot) that don't like it one bit as well.

A lot of folks were involved in this...but mason Tvert was the guy who kept pushing it and telling the Gov't weed is SAFER (the name of the movement was SAFER) than alcohol and that it should be treated like alcohol. We >kinda< got that result in the end...kinda.

The point is, one person can do a lot, or they can do nothing. The outcome will reflect the effort put forth in all cases. By coming forward and pushing the agenda in public, Mr. Tvert became no target. Folks need to recognize that fact. If you stand in the light they cannot dim your flame because too many people see what is going on. From there the support builds...and laws are changed. On the flipside...if people hide and do nothing to push this agenda... nothing will happen.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
TN had mediweed in the 80s, but dropped the program when the feds quit supplying. now, we already have the CBD law and another medical bill being studied by the state pharmaceutical board. ten years ago it would have been a shoo-in. now, it seems like that we are going back in time to a degree. state pols seem to play to the lowest denominator & parrot "demon weed" talking points. Ron Ramsey is a case in point... I have not given up hope however. they had a show on PBS a few weeks back featuring a local sheriffs dept and the local prosecutor, & despite being staunch card-carrying GOP members, they were all for easing the restrictions on certain drugs because of jail overcrowding & the harm that having a record for a victimless crime did to ones chances for employment. kind of blew my mind...:biggrin:

Sisu

Veteran
Sure seems like Colorado is the standard for what most of us want to happen. I'm still trying to get back to the lakes, but I've a soft spot for CO and would point the truck that way in a heartbeat.

Many states, particularly eastern and southern ones, lack the initiative/referendum option. That's one reason of many that sanity will prevail last, if ever, in those states.

Ballot Initiative by State

iandrmap.gif

Jhhnn

Veteran
Are there any local organizations working on MJ initiatives in your state, wait?

Colorado's laws didn't just happen. Many folks like myself volunteered multiple times to collect the needed signatures to get these measures on the ballot. First with MMJ in 98-99...then with recreational. The first try for rec pot FAILED. It took a second try and the promise of huge tax dollars to the schools to get it to fly.

It WILL take 15 years if everyone sits and waits for it to happen. Guaranteed.

Til then...fire those lights and make it happen anyway. Good luck

Agreed, for the most part. Like it or not, part of what's required to legalize cannabis is organization & money. Yep, money. It's very important to lend financial support to legalization efforts wherever you live. Figure out who's legitimately working for it, send 'em a check every year, even if it's just $20 or $50. Both NORML & the Marijuana Policy Project can clue a person in.

Truth is, I'm in awe of the brilliant minds behind A64 & the campaign to collect the signatures, get it on the ballot & get it passed. It strikes a balance that's attractive far beyond the MJ community- safeguards, local politics, taxes & business opportunities.

Structured as a constitutional amendment, it simply overpowers the legislature, forces them to abide & to deal with it. It's tight, too, ruling out the kind of bullshit we're seeing in WA. Some of the most brilliant & devious legal minds in the country have undoubtedly tried to crack it w/o success. It's that good.

The personal growing provisions are what keep it honest, what motivates the State to create real alternatives to black market providers. They don't have the tools to attack small illicit growers at all, other than busting them for sale or transport. So they must make retail attractive to consumers if they're to get anything out of it at all.

What few people seem to realize is that the vertically integrated MMJ market never was very competitive. Dispensaries tailored growing to sales, held prices high through limited access. The explosion of independent retail growers sweeps that aside, forcing very strong competition at the wholesale level. Retailers can just be retailers, tailoring their offerings to their clientele, taking the best deals available, competing with each other in a whole new ball game. We'll see the emergence of consistent & trusted brand name products of all sorts offered through retailers state wide.

I'm also thankful to some of the big money people who helped finance the whole thing, regardless of their motives. I just take 'em at their word, whether they're CO venture capitalists or Billionaires. Like it or not, they're a necessary part of the mix, of building the broad consensus that made legalization possible. We'd be nowhere without 'em.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Sure seems like Colorado is the standard for what most of us want to happen. I'm still trying to get back to the lakes, but I've a soft spot for CO and would point the truck that way in a heartbeat.

Many states, particularly eastern and southern ones, lack the initiative/referendum option. That's one reason of many that sanity will prevail last, if ever, in those states.

Ballot Initiative by State

View Image

yeah, the ballot initiative is closed to us here...dammit!