What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Self Watering Greenhouse

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I was interested to know what others thought about this.

http://www.envisioneer.net/gallery2/index.php?sGlry=1

The area that he built it in get's a fairly consistent rainfall all year of approximately 3". The area I live in does not. We get approximately 4" starting in November which increases to a peak of 6", and then drops to 4" in March. After which it's under 1" if not non-existent.

So I think this would work for me in those months from November till March, after which if I wanted to keep using the greenhouse. I'd have to find an alternate source of water. I could use the same watering system, but just tap in a new reservoir. Maybe a 2500 Gallon tank on a solenoid valve or timer.

Just like my indoor rooms before, automation is something I am looking for.

Any tips from anyone who has a greenhouse with some level of automation would be great. Doorways, exhaust systems, light deprivation tips, drainage, etc....

I'm also planning to build on a pretty sloped area(a drop of over 4' across an area of 25'), so I'm thinking that a pit style greenhouse might make sense. It will be in the 40's and low 50's during those months, so I think that will help the Thermal Mass of it.

Thanks

2 Legal Co

Veteran
''It will be in the 40's and low 50's during those months,"

So are those daytime temps? Or low night time temps?

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Those are the average temps during those months. From the low 40's at night to the low 50's during the day.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Sounds like some additional thermal mass storage is in order.... and maybe some 'foundation' insulation buried around the perimeter, to keep the heat from bleeding into the outside dirt.

For the summer months thermally controlled vent openers. and maybe put a couple of big extractor fans in one end for the summer months......... If it gets hot durning the summer install a 'wet wall' in the opposite end from the fans. Put the water pump on the same controls as the fans.