What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the lonely 55w vertical pl-l.

Garuda

Veteran
Hi folks,
I recently built a new cab running a single 55w pl-l bulb and couldn't resist posting it here :)

On top of this cab ist a vertical 36w veg chamber, pics will soon follow :)
The cab is 30x40x70cm (depthxwidthxheigth) and vented with a "real" venting solution.
Current plants in the cab: 2x Fart of the gods (Original Hazex(DoubleFunxDoubleDutch)), Pakistan Valley, Afgan Kush, Santa Maria F8, Oldtimers Haze, C99.
Its a perpetual SOG since I love it this way :).

Greetings,
Garuda.

Chloemobile

i always hang my vert PLL's top down but some people put them bottom up...Water + electricity is never a good thing to me!

Garuda

Veteran
You are absolutely right chloemobile :) I think I took care of almost all issues now and I think it would survive the worst case: a water tank runs empy.
The lamps are sitting on top of a cube almost as high as a 16oz beercup. It serves as a air distributor / diffusor. I'll take pictures of the empty cab next time I have to get the ladies out of the box :)

ps. heres a 3d view, now accurate ;)

Greetz,
Garuda.

ceylon

hey garuda, nice as always.
love your downsize this project, and this looking even better.
if it's safe and ok for you, i would love to see a pic of the whole box.
do you already have an average yield?

Garuda

Veteran
Thanks ceylon,
this is the first run of this cab so no statistics yet :D I'll post a pic of the whole thing next time :)
The dry-weight of the two Fart of the gods could reach 10gr/plant :)

Greetz,
Garuda.

Chloemobile

You are absolutely right chloemobile :) I think I took care of almost all issues now and I think it would survive the worst case: a water tank runs empy.
The lamps are sitting on top of a cube almost as high as a 16oz beercup. It serves as a air distributor / diffusor. I'll take pictures of the empty cab next time I have to get the ladies out of the box :)

ps. heres a 3d view, not accurate though since I put my water reservoirs left of the whole cab resulting in more space for the inhabitants :)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=48008&pictureid=1121052&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Greetz,
Garuda.

I See now. I should have known that you would have more foresight than that! :) Very nice and tidy build though - i like the way you did that for the light it makes sense to put it right over an intake since even if you were to hang them vertical you couldnt put anything under it.Its like killing two birds with one stone- i will definitely incorporate this into my next build! because mine takes up some of the square footage on the floor( a 1 inch x 11inch slit). I can still put plants over it but i like your idea better. . very interested to see how the 1x 55 works out! From my experience 10G will be tough but i hope you can do it and i can blame my results on shitty gardening :p. Ive been running 2X55 vert and and could get around 10 in 3/4 liter( 2 liter trimmed down a little less than halfway) with soil. But I didn't have blu mats either so i like the change in variables here to compare. I Like growing with Vert Pll's too and it would be easy to make some nice small stealthy sog cabs if you could do it with 1 and pull 10 g a plant! Plants always get a ton of crispy fans where they touch but the plants really dont seem to care at all.

I moved on to LED now in my 11x11 cab and the density just blows pll out of the water, the rate of growth, aroma, resin production -everything. I was a huge LED skeptic - you can read about it in Trem0lo's pc thread..and now i am "spreading the gospel" lol

just a thought...55w plus a small fan... i wonder if you could power that off of solar..and with the blue mats..the energy free auto watered grow.

keep up the good work!

EDIT: Do you have a good 3d rendering of the bottom of the cab? interested to see how you louvered it for light trapping..hard to tell exactly from the picture.

Garuda

Veteran
the whole cab:

for Chloemobile:
The lighttrap how it is now and then how it should be :D may be someday I'll fix it...

Chloemobile

very cool - i noticed you opted for the piano hinges...it always crosses my mind but i never go for it..There needs to be a cabology section in the grow room design forum :p

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Awesome dude! You did a great job on this! Wish my first cab came out like this! Can't wait to see what you can yield from this! congrats bro! very well thought out on the lightrap too!

2000pm

wow this is an impress design! respect for rotating that many strains with the available space too.

Garuda

Veteran
Thanks a lot to you all :) Yesterday I randomly chose the next two seeds, a Colobian Mangobiche and a Amnesia, and potted them.

Greetz,
Garuda.

Flat Earth

loved your Downsize this and the micro hazes!
Are you still just using water with the blumats and organic soil?
Looks like your just using beer cups now, no tree pots or other pots. are they a compromise or they work great? Reservoir size and material? I am planning something similar but with 2x36w ppl vertical and 36 watts of led horizontal up top. blumats for watering.
I will be watching!

Garuda

Veteran
Hey Flat Earth, thanks for visiting :) Yap, using BioBizz Light Mix with blumats and Canna Terra Flores. The 2 reservoirs are former 10l water cans used for distilled water. The size of a beercup is perfect for a mostly sativa :). I'll use 1.2l treepots for mostly indicas in the future though :) Your plans sounds interesting too :) Will you report on this?

Greetz,
Garuda.

Flat Earth

Garuda,
Yes I am planning to once I get it all built. Have leds and driver and ppl stuff but need the 2 heat sinks (1.5"x12") and fans for the Leds, with six leds on either side if the ppls overtop. 3-red, 2-2700k white, and 1-blue on each heat sink both run off one meanwell driver. Still need to get a filter and build the cabinet. also working on getting Medical. lots to do and little extra money at the moment, may have to scale back and just go for it with the ppls and a night stand I converted and ran one run in a few years back.
Thanks,
Flat Earth