What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'Next most profitable' cash crop in greenhouse?

skyview

I wonder if - at least in some places - it would be profitable for the time spent to make sawdust/paper firewood bricks as a more environmental replacement for presto-logs. And then drying them in an unused greenhouse. Lehman Hardware sells a tool to make these, you can search for "Newspaper Brick Maker" at http://www.lehmanhardware.com/

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about Black Truffles? There extremely expensive taste like chocolate to me. its a fungus like shrooms but not lol..

tumblr_lwz26v1dsi1qg42abo1_400.jpg

G

gloryoskie

What about Black Truffles? There extremely expensive taste like chocolate to me. its a fungus like shrooms but not lol..

View Image

Love me some truffles, just now have some winter Perigords.
Retail at 100 bucks an ounce, wholesale pricing likely if you know
some restaurant suppliers.

Oregon has some lesser cultivars, in a greenhouse? That
would be nice.

marcnh

mushrooms

mushrooms

exotic mushrooms, sell them to local restaurants. a good chef knows locally grown produce is higher quality and makes the dish sell better.

i remember in a local grocery store there was a mushroom that was selling for $192 a pound. it was 6 dollars for 1/2 an ounce X 32 = $192 a pound. :good:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
still think they have a growing facility for truffles.. To much of a demand to not have..

In the last 25 years there has been considerable progress in producing truffles in orchards both in Europe and in North America, and today, small oak or hazelnut trees whose roots have been infected with truffle-producing fungi are readily available. The sellers promise that if the trees are planted in the right place and are given good care, they will eventually produce truffles. Although yields from truffle orchards are not yet great enough to affect overall market prices, they may eventually become the major suppliers for our supermarkets and dinner tables.
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=622

blastfrompast

Veteran
Get a table at a farmers market, Herb seedlings in the spring, along with anything else that seems to be the flavor of the year for the Sheeple.

Sell strawberry runners re-potted for 1.50...1 week and a bit of TLC and the plants are re-rooted.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sell strawberry runners re-potted for 1.50...1 week and a bit of TLC and the plants are re-rooted.

Easy money every year.

If they look a bit rougth say they are organic and charge more.

Just buying in nursery perrenial stock in 3 inch pots and growing on for a year , selling on in 6 inch triples the money or more.

A bareroot tree whip costs as little as 20 pence in bulk , five years on its ten quid + in a container , if you can take a longer view for a good return.

If you have the hardstanding space and the funds up front , an artic full of small plants imported to the UK from Holland for 10k can be reliably turned into 35k within 18 months , as a legitimate business.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I sell Strawberry handing baskets for $20.00 each. They are a huge hit. What i don't sell I store for the winter and sell them in the spring.

You can get plants on the west coast here or save runners

http://lassencanyonnursery.com/ :blowbubbles:

I see what you mean about reselling strawberries. Downright cheap by the 1500 lot.

$.125 for plants... how cheap can you get pots and soil? WoW.

How rich can/does the soil need to be for the 'starts'?

al-k-mist

I wonder if - at least in some places - it would be profitable for the time spent to make sawdust/paper firewood bricks as a more environmental replacement for presto-logs. And then drying them in an unused greenhouse. Lehman Hardware sells a tool to make these, you can search for "Newspaper Brick Maker" at http://www.lehmanhardware.com/

arrrgh. i had this idea the other day and just read this thread...again
when i wrote it we were somewhere else
now we are on over 30 acres.
we have a garden, 2 greenhouses

theres one, 20x60. that pic is hella old, like 30 days prob. they are fucking monsters now, all fill the 3x3 screens
weve harvested a couple pounds dried of chamomile flowers, grown in the grow beds w the weed. also basil. mints(spearmint, choc peppermint, apple mint, more) and other herbs, crimson clover for living mulch
got 14 fruit trees.
3 big apple trees already on property...
huge grape vines established in back yard, 2 of them...we shoulda pruned them even more(no pics on my computer)
lots of medicinal herbs, and composting herbs. we do ONLY organic, strictly, period. it works so well.
we are in heaven. but working so much.
now we really need suggestions
bottom tip of the willammette valley(or, a valley off of a valley off of a valley off of a valley off of the willammette valley, lol)

fucking forty, farming with hand tools. not even close to fun. baby is 10 months. hell on wheels, but awesome. pond is goin dry. only does runnin around, no bucks, dammit.
4wheel drive(need that too, thats the only tractor)
so stoked on the 'use greenhouse as kiln for wood' idea. cocksuckers had logged the shit out of part of this, but that is what gave us 'the valley of the shadow of the kush' .. and the medical field, lol. but tons of madrone, which i want to make furniture out of. and our house. cedars too. the doug firs are few, except the big ones by the house
so i want a saw mill to mill the wood for our house one day
thanks for the inspiration
Namaste'

herbaless

Wasabia japonica plant - the wasabi plant grows like horseradish and is one of the most profitable crops you could grow in a greenhouse

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I've seen wasabi mentioned in similar discussions before, perhaps even earlier in this thread, I don't know... but I'm curious... does anyone know WHY wasabi is so profitable? Usually, provided the plants aren't illegal, the most profitable ones are also either difficult to grow or take 10 years to harvest...

Anyone know of any good online references pertaining to wasabi in the agricultural industry?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I've seen wasabi mentioned in similar discussions before, perhaps even earlier in this thread, I don't know... but I'm curious... does anyone know WHY wasabi is so profitable? Usually, provided the plants aren't illegal, the most profitable ones are also either difficult to grow or take 10 years to harvest...

Anyone know of any good online references pertaining to wasabi in the agricultural industry?

I don't remember Why it's so expensive,,, but I do remember that it's in short enough supply, that they use horse radish in place of it and sell it as wasabi.

thought that was interesting.

By they by; horse radish is only harvested in months ending with 'er'......So it's not a year round harvest either.

I looked it up on Wikipedia; 18 months to 2 years to mature..... so Not so much maybe.
http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Wasabi

2 Legal Co

Veteran
All in all, I'd have to say that i haven't seen anything that touches the 'good herb' for profit.... even IF it goes down to $500 a #.... .that's of course IF you have a way to move it.

I'm most fortunate, in that I'm retired and only grow for my own needs. No need to grow more unless I want to increase my income (found that to be a bad idea... making a business out of a hobby, that is. Turns hobby into a 4 letter word. WORK) lol

Colorado compliant,,, and all that. Recreationally speaking ya know.