What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'Next most profitable' cash crop in greenhouse?

P

PermaBuzz

Illinois Bundleflower

The root-bark, which accounts for half of the total weight of the root system, is reported to contain anywhere from 0% to 0.34% DMT and 0.11% N-Methyltryptamine

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
Thai basil for all the Vietnamese PHO restaurants in SEattle......100's of lbs.....
exotic eatable mushrooms in black out boxes......

STUNKY

certian mushrooms are pretty easy to grow.. oyster shiitake lions mane reishi.. all can be grown with plug spawn on logs ... or on mixed substrates and u can use modified greenhouses to fruit in.. quick turn around also..

Littleleaf

Veteran
ditto on the leafy greens(mixed bag of leaf lettuce) I had just about every color under the rainbow when a small restraint owner stopped by and bought all that was ready for $30 bucks. Three paper bags full. He told me he would take every bit I could spare. He realy loves the red I have growing:dance013:

small greens for restaurants, especially in the winter.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
are you selling plants or finished product? i.e. tomato plants or tomato fruit?

plants may be easy to turn over, maybe consider that.

good luck!!

al-k-mist

awesome responses, people
A friend actually said yesterday hes going to clone his wasabi and if they take he will give us one or two. He just got it a couple months ago
we plan on selling starts in the spring, for peoples gardens, and good strains of, yes, lettuce(red sail is the only one I remember, but they were all red purple green, speckled, and all yummy)
May put in some grapes...we are talking with someone now about this
we are doing basil in the veg area now indoors, under a t5, one tray...we did it once before, and harvest them small, someone called themm micro greens, and thats the term my wife used, but the pesto was SOOOooo much better with small fresh ones
I like the idea of actually checking with the restaurants to see what they would buy...we think we could do m-w-f deliveries to eugene, and with a half dozen stops, that would be good. And possibly a CSA...had thought of a cannabis CSA but atty said its not really legit under ommp laws
Thanks again, any more advice, thank you

Oh, saw dudes at the farmers market the other day who had spawn...we are planning on getting many mushroom species, since the initial forays into mycology have proven successful. We have been selling wild harvested chantrelles online and would like to sell them to top shelf restaurants too, but I bet the eugene competition is fierce...i see people in the woods a lot, and we are in the middle of nowhere

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
red sails is a good one! im growing it, too. along with mascara lettuce, golden cross cabbage, and a couple varieties of spinach.

picture.php

(botanical interest seeds)

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tried many ways of makeing money from the greenhouse , and the best was makeing and refilling hanging baskets , sold from the house by local adverts and word of mouth.

Buy in plants as plugs and raise the more expensive items from cuts , many plants can be recycled and customers take two seasonal mixtures per season , some of the ivies have been out a dozen times.

A listing on fleabay sold all fifty over a weekend a month before i had even made one , see what fetches a good price in decorative shrubs , clone the fuck out of the latest hybrids and make a good profit next year even after mailing costs.

Get creative with the adverts , well written and pictured with a personalised description makes a huge difference in price.

Salvia Divinorum sold well on fleabay a few years back , the clones i brought prduced hundreds of plants sold for a fiver each , not sure if it can still be listed.

Peppers and toms always sell well in spring , for a good profit if well grown and bushy , especially named hot ones for masochists.

Acers and some rare trees along with specimen conifers are a moneyspinner if you have a little ground to plant out in rows and some skills , and can be mailed reliably , but it will be some years till sold , or find some legal plants of protected/endangered species and promote the heirloom aspects , i sold 500 quids worth of heirloom carrot and onion seed last year from five square metres of border.

Had no luck selling food crops to local restaurants as they are all run by ethnic groups that have their own intricate supply chain involving relatives , the one that was interested wanted more each week than i could ever supply , and prices are lower than i expected for crops that would have been considered exotic a few years ago.

rangergord

I grow vegetables for my local farmers market. Greenhouse and outdoor. For the greenhouse I would recommend long english cucumbers, basil (it does not last long so rarely are markets flooded) specialty peppers and lettuce. Fresh herbs for the kitchen are very profitable. Cilantro, parsley, dill, rosemary etc. Specialty greens sell for more and are productive with fast turnaround times.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Brilliant info on this thread, keep it coming people!

You can always also do herb 6-pack seedlings, propagated in GH with cuttings off motherstock. For market, just hit up all local supermarkets etc and make display units that you can brand and leave consignment stock. Price them right and they will sell and you can just restock on your rounds to restaurants etc. Few shops say no to free stock and your outlay costs are minimal.. Just your labour and effort and seedling trays etc..

Also feedback loops with your waste are where it is at for making small farms highly productive, snails, earthworms, maggots, fish, chickens, greens, teas, compost etc...

rangergord

Brilliant info on this thread, keep it coming people!

You can always also do herb 6-pack seedlings, propagated in GH with cuttings off motherstock. For market, just hit up all local supermarkets etc and make display units that you can brand and leave consignment stock. Price them right and they will sell and you can just restock on your rounds to restaurants etc. Few shops say no to free stock and your outlay costs are minimal.. Just your labour and effort and seedling trays etc..

Also feedback loops with your waste are where it is at for making small farms highly productive, snails, earthworms, maggots, fish, chickens, greens, teas, compost etc...

Yeah for sure. google backyard aquaponics and check out how you can intergrate it into a system