What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'Next most profitable' cash crop in greenhouse?

al-k-mist

so we dont sell medicines for profit

We are interested in what the next most profitable cash crop in greenhouses, in the PNW. We are organic, and have had good luck this year with certain strainns of veggies

But what can be grown in greenhouses, as a full time job, that will be a perpetual source of income???

Basil into pesto is amazing for the dinner table, but who would buy that in bulk at the organic prices??

Dank you
(~);}
Alchemist

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
best bet would probably be to go ask your local restaurants, markets, health shops etc see what they want. Have you grown basil before up there?

thinman

a christmas tree grower told me 20 years ago that if he had to start all over again he would grow KIWI in greenhouses. that market is probably still there. sell direct at farmer's market or wholesale to restaurants. we have a well organized flea market in my area and guys are making money selling fruits and vegetables they bought earlier in the morning at the farmer's market. you have to make connections and keep them, and always show up, offer fair prices....and work your ass off. still, the retail customer at the flea market is buying cheaper than from a grocery store. one guy makes a killing selling different color potatoes every weekend. there are lots of ways to make money in the food chain, but it is hard work.

al-k-mist

Funny. I have a handful..no, like 25...mimosa hostilis seeds and peganum harmala seeds(in addition to ipomoea, argyriea, and piper auritum).
Yes we grew basil this year outdoors, not too good, indoors under the t5, great, figure, if other stuff did well indoors, not too great outdoors, but WONDERFUL, AROMATIC, AND POTENT grown in the greenhouse, this may hold true for other plants as well

Ember1

Look to health food stuff, like goji berries. Heck, shiitake and other mushrooms as well, don't need a green house.
Or get into kettle corn and farmers markets/fairs. I know a lady that makes a killing with kettlecorn alone.

N

noyd666

our markets get flooded with kiwi fruit every season,don't bring much here, if your got tough steak, cut kiwi fruit in slices an lay on steak for awhile, enzymes in fruit break down meat. real soft, get flooded with vine ripened tomatoes too, bloody expensive, and tastless lol, not much help am i lol.:blowbubbles:

Littleleaf

Veteran
pics

Attachments

• bitter gord.jpg
    bitter gord.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Bitter_gourd.jpg
    Bitter_gourd.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 13
Start a nutrient line.

Get a couple of simple formulas...slap on some cool labels...give them hip edgy names

Charge two and a half times the going rate...so everyone will assume yours is better (Fat Mike's/Apple's business plan)

al-k-mist

I actually plan to do that..ammendments...since I can either wild harvest them, or buy in bulk and break em down, 100% organic and natural, and less than others charge

Jamorg13

Not sure if this can be grown in greenhouses, or where you are, but saffron is the most expensive plant by dry weight on the planet. Neem tree, ephedra, world record pumpkins?

I

ItsTopShelf

anything grown in a greenhouse thats not getting sprayed with the crap the government is feeding everyone ... .watch jesse ventura .. conspiracy theory.. and ull see that its going to be a way of life if u dont wana get sick. grow ur own fruits vegs and ur own livestock! they are crazy men.. poisoning the people . its hard to believe yes.. but is it happening.. i wish there was a way to tell. but believewhat u will..

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Not sure if this can be grown in greenhouses, or where you are, but saffron is the most expensive plant by dry weight on the planet. Neem tree, ephedra, world record pumpkins?

People love to mention saffron as a cash crop. Seems that many don't have a clue what it is, how much acreage it takes up, or how labor intensive it is to harvest.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Seedlings or the likes.. anything that has high value, is added value or takes advantage of feedback loops in production so your costs are low. Sell direct to your market unless you are a commercial farm in which case volumes and contracts with set prices are your friend.
100000 plants are small numbers in that case so decide how big you want to go if you want to wholesale supply otherwise ply your local high value markets like hotels, restaurants and guesthouses etc. and see what they want. Work out prices on mixed boxes and there is still room to make a good living. Learn aquaculture, mycology and heliculture and use this and maggot farming to feed your fish and chickens and recycle your plant and animal offal. Get creative in adding value and processing your produce.

Jamorg13

People love to mention saffron as a cash crop. Seems that many don't have a clue what it is, how much acreage it takes up, or how labor intensive it is to harvest.
Its an expensive spice. It is very labor intensive, and takes up quite a bit of space. But with the inginuity of the threads I see in the vert forums, im sure that the labor, and at the very least, the space could be cut down significantly.

Latest posts

Latest posts