What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400 or 600 hps what do u think

EarthElf

Ok my flower space is 3ft X 6ft X 5ft I have been going back and forth between a 400 or 600
What would u go with

greenpinky

I do both with cool tubs... but 400w will work and 600w is harder to cool with no help. So a 400w will be the cheepest and better suited.

2x600w bare... Check Marlo's WOW thread if ya wanna max that space homie! Peace

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
400's work great in a 3 x 6 space ... but if your ventilation can handle it ... go with the 600's :)
heres my old space 3 x 6 with 400's in cooltubes

camperpics307.jpg

3eyes

Only 600's need apply in my grow space i've had 2 x 600's runing in a 1x1x2M tent before now just make sure that your fans can move enough air to keep the temps down

V

Vampire

Ok my flower space is 3ft X 6ft X 5ft I have been going back and forth between a 400 or 600
What would u go with

I would go with 2 -600w along with fans to keep the temps down and the air moving.

Last edited:
V

Vampire

What would u go with

The general rule of thumb is 40-50 watts per sq. ft; I would go with 2 -600w along with a couple of fans to keep the temps down and the air moving.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
2 x 600W HPS

To echo others.

Get some dimable 600W digital ballasts and run them at 400W during veg and then switch to 600W during flowering.

Presto! You are set.

Ojo

Last edited:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
If you can only have 1, get a dimmable 600. 400 is good for veg, then bump it up to 600 when you flip. cheers

mg75

get a dimable 1000. you will never know when you are going to upgrade (we usually all do) and prices are not that different. run the light as high as possible while keeping temps in check. it's common to run more watts in the winter than in the summer. with an adjustable 1000watt ballast you will be able to reduce the watts or even boost them by 10-15% when condition allow. your hvac will dictate that. get a good hood too!
i have a bunch of 400s and 600s collecting dust. we even upgraded our veg room to 1000w MH. plants grow much faster and we have the ability to dim down to 500w.

the gnome

Veteran
decisions decisions....

decisions decisions....

:yeahthats

I'd go for the 1000w dimmable also
you'll find a use for the 1000w setting sooner or later and i'll be it'll be sooner :)
BUT
if your 1000% positive that you'll never ever use the 1000w setting
then i'd consider a couple 600w dimmables

the 1st time you move your babies from the T5s
and put em under 1000 watts of pure MH goodness...

:plant grow:

and experience 1st hand the explosive growth you'll wonder why you didn't do this loooooong ago ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts