What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is broad/russet mite resistance to abamectin(american avid) possible??

IngFarmer

Not long ago I was here seeking help against a great infestation of russet mites and I was adviced to go with the strong stuff: avid, forbid... being in europe I could only lay hands on abamectin(avid) which after application gave really super good results..but after two months I can see my plants showing the characteristics of having broad/russet mites again, i'm still applying abamectin(vebi cliner: got it from amazon.co.uk) but I have the sensation that is not working as before...now I'm scared shit that after the first application may be the horrible pests are getting used to the abamectin...I was thinking since the abamectin goes through the leaves it will kill everyone of those pests but it seems their will to survive is that strong...I was warned to be careful to apply other products to not get them used to the abamectin but the abamectin on the first application worked soooo well that I was like..well that is an exaggeration... so the question is.....:::: IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE FOR RUSSET/BROAD MITES TO BUILD RESISTANCE TO AMABECTIN? I will really appreciate personal experience... and the next question goes to growers living in the UK or europe in general, what is the equivalent product of the american drug forbid in europe??? thanks to all and happy growing to every body

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to multiple things in succession. I recommend starting w a heavy knockdown like avid, waiting three days, treat with green clean, wait again three days and hit them with neem oil. Then id follow with a pyrethrum bomb. Id do thag cycle 2x and clean every surface possible. Best of luck with those fuckers.

IngFarmer

You need to multiple things in succession. I recommend starting w a heavy knockdown like avid, waiting three days, treat with green clean, wait again three days and hit them with neem oil. Then id follow with a pyrethrum bomb. Id do thag cycle 2x and clean every surface possible. Best of luck with those fuckers.

ok I've understood this, what is green clean? what is it active component or ingredients?

gh0st9

Veteran
Forget the nuclear option... go with micronized sulfur. Works better and is better for you.

green-genes77

Veteran
Forget the nuclear option... go with micronized sulfur. Works better and is better for you.

I'll happily "second" this. Wettable/Micronized Sulfur is such a good miticide that it has found its way into my preventive IPM, especially when I intake new genetics in the form of clones.

I have also battled severe infestations of russets, and sulfur is always what has ended up working. 25 ml. sulfur to 4 l. water, three applications over a ten to twelve day period will beat them good. The only caveat is that you can't use it within 2 weeks of an oil-based spray. However, it is cheap, non-toxic and effective.

IngFarmer

I'll happily "second" this. Wettable/Micronized Sulfur is such a good miticide that it has found its way into my preventive IPM, especially when I intake new genetics in the form of clones.

I have also battled severe infestations of russets, and sulfur is always what has ended up working. 25 ml. sulfur to 4 l. water, three applications over a ten to twelve day period will beat them good. The only caveat is that you can't use it within 2 weeks of an oil-based spray. However, it is cheap, non-toxic and effective.
fantastic...thanks

kalopatchkid

Veteran
+1 for the wettable sulfur just make sure you only use in veg and dont apply any oil based stuff a few weeks before or after application. Try to get as close to 100% coverage.

Extremely effective as a knockdown and the dried residue remains on the leaves until you rinse it off which takes care of any recently hatched larvae.

Best part is it will only set you back $10.

I use grandevo in an atomizer for the first couple weeks of flower and spray everything in and around my mini greenhouse. Havent found the grandevo to be very effective for an active infestation but its ok as a preventative.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I can't answer for Avid, but it's possible some stuff pest could buildup resistance too. Ive been using Sevin in Veg 1-2 times. And in flowering Ive sprayed my basement and around the plastic pot there in but I never hit the actual plant in flowering. I know its poison and guys dont like it but there's inbred mites around here lol. I'm gonna be testing some NS mite killer and Trifecta Corps this summer outdoors, and indoors, I'll post up some info about how it's working in my anything outdoors 2019 thread. Maybe it might be helpful to some guys, and we can see how it works!!!

med4u

Veteran
For russet mites use neems oil .. very effective better as a preventive
Safer 3 in1 is an excellent product for organics I spray them once as teenagers and then again before flower...good luck

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
another vote here for the wettable sulfur. mix 2-4 tablespoons per gallon of water. spray weekly until flowers begin forming

med4u

Veteran
Safers has sulphur in it...plus neems
Oil and only needs to be applied a couple times with larger intervals

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Safers has sulphur in it...plus neems
Oil and only needs to be applied a couple times with larger intervals

Safers 3 in 1 does not have neem in it. Its sulfur and potassium salts derived from fatty acids.

Its cheaper and more effective to just buy 1lb of sulfur dust for $6

med4u

Veteran
Safers 3 in 1 does not have neem in it. Its sulfur and potassium salts derived from fatty acids.

Its cheaper and more effective to just buy 1lb of sulfur dust for $6

Correction...the product I was referring to is garden safe 3 in 1 not safer 3 in 1...the garden safe contains copper sulfate for fungicide and neems for insecticide and miticide the neems is the main effective ingredient for russet mites
However the plant oil based soaps in safer are derived inpart from neems oil

Last edited:

George

I have avid, Kontos, florimite. They work. Some better than others.

I also have micronized sulfur. It works better, safer and faster. And costs almost nothing lol. Skip the chems! Not needed in this situation.

2 teaspoons sulfur per 32oz spray bottle. Strip the plant to just a few tops. Prune away ALL LOWER VEGETATION. ALL OF IT. Spray every other day for 30 days. You should also be taking clones at this time to cycle away from the mom and the original media she was in. Toss all media after clones root and spray every thing else with sulfur. Whole room. They have a maximum 21 day life span and eggs hatch every other day or two. Turn down the heat (keep heat under 80) raise the lights a bit and spray top to bottom. Your plant should look like it has powdery mildew. SPRSY THE STEMS TOO. If you get some leaf damage you can play around with the concentration but I just deal with it cause it works so damn good.

If I would of known you only needed sulfur I would of saved a lot of money and hassle trying to get kontos and other shit from out of the country. Sulfur is an IPM dream come true.

Edit: I think you need a scope first. Are you seeing broad mite or russet nite damage. They are different and show different on the plants. Have you actually put an eye on them??? Anyways, don’t spray any sulfur within 3 weeks of this avid treated plant. They will probably die. But you don’t need chems. You need to understand if they’re on your plants they’re in your room everywhere and have been for weeks and weeks. Thousands of eggs/juveniles/adults everywhere and every time you walk around they get kicked up. They are a small as a piece of dust and travel in the wind and clothes. Ever see dust flying around under your lights if you sweep your room? That’s how smal they are. In my opinion the only way to kill them is persistence. Every other fucking day for 30 plus days. If you’re lazy, unclean, dirt everywhere prepare to deal with russets for the rest of your life lol

Last edited:

IngFarmer

I have avid, Kontos, florimite. They work. Some better than others.

I also have micronized sulfur. It works better, safer and faster. And costs almost nothing lol. Skip the chems! Not needed in this situation.

2 teaspoons sulfur per 32oz spray bottle. Strip the plant to just a few tops. Prune away ALL LOWER VEGETATION. ALL OF IT. Spray every other day for 30 days. You should also be taking clones at this time to cycle away from the mom and the original media she was in. Toss all media after clones root and spray every thing else with sulfur. Whole room. They have a maximum 21 day life span and eggs hatch every other day or two. Turn down the heat (keep heat under 80) raise the lights a bit and spray top to bottom. Your plant should look like it has powdery mildew. SPRSY THE STEMS TOO. If you get some leaf damage you can play around with the concentration but I just deal with it cause it works so damn good.

If I would of known you only needed sulfur I would of saved a lot of money and hassle trying to get kontos and other shit from out of the country. Sulfur is an IPM dream come true.

Edit: I think you need a scope first. Are you seeing broad mite or russet nite damage. They are different and show different on the plants. Have you actually put an eye on them??? Anyways, don’t spray any sulfur within 3 weeks of this avid treated plant. They will probably die. But you don’t need chems. You need to understand if they’re on your plants they’re in your room everywhere and have been for weeks and weeks. Thousands of eggs/juveniles/adults everywhere and every time you walk around they get kicked up. They are a small as a piece of dust and travel in the wind and clothes. Ever see dust flying around under your lights if you sweep your room? That’s how smal they are. In my opinion the only way to kill them is persistence. Every other fucking day for 30 plus days. If you’re lazy, unclean, dirt everywhere prepare to deal with russets for the rest of your life lol

Thanks George for your super input! I am 99% sure is russet/broad mites cos I know the characteristics the plant display, only a serious case of overfeeding nitrogen to a plant I was revegging game me such leave claws and I really had to exaggerate...spider mites in comparison to these guys are nothing!!! but I've ordered a microscope, medical lab grade microscope..soo I will be putting my eyes to things soon..but hey thanks to all of you, this sulfur has really saved my life, in terms of efficiency and price...the thing is SOOOO FUCKING CHEAP!!! just after 3 days of application the young plants which stopped growing are making new green leaves and their roots are growing again, how am I sure? because the new growth of the leaves was not having no dried sulfur powder on it and showing you know that spring green of new shoots... thanks very much to everybody!!!

George

Thanks George for your super input! I am 99% sure is russet/broad mites cos I know the characteristics the plant display, only a serious case of overfeeding nitrogen to a plant I was revegging game me such leave claws and I really had to exaggerate...spider mites in comparison to these guys are nothing!!! but I've ordered a microscope, medical lab grade microscope..soo I will be putting my eyes to things soon..but hey thanks to all of you, this sulfur has really saved my life, in terms of efficiency and price...the thing is SOOOO FUCKING CHEAP!!! just after 3 days of application the young plants which stopped growing are making new green leaves and their roots are growing again, how am I sure? because the new growth of the leaves was not having no dried sulfur powder on it and showing you know that spring green of new shoots... thanks very much to everybody!!!
Yea buddy! That is indeed the sign! Fresh green growth. When you get some nice tops, clone them out and make those your new moms and keep spraying. You got this

Thai Grower

Hello forum, great thread!
Why cant we use sulfur pre/post Neem Oil? :confused:
I was gonna go with sulfur today but unfortunately sprayed all with neem oil yesterday before seeing this thread!
The plants are stripped out so much of all leafs. Cant I just give them good wash with Peroxide and go on with sulfur?

Latest posts

Latest posts