What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis root medicine

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
My friend suffers from gout. I found sparse info that the ancient Chinese used the roots of cannabis plant to make a preparation to treat gout.

Anybody ever made medicine with roots?
There's not supposed to be much concentration of cannabinoids in the roots so maybe it's another type of compound.

I'm wondering what the best way to extract the medicine. If it's not cannabinoids it might be better to do a tea with water. Or it might work better with hydrocarbon solvents...

Anyone know?

I wood

Yes, clean roots chopped and processed the same way you would make butter but with coconut oil reduced pain for arthritis and fibromyalgia patient. Used topically the root oil reduced pain noticeably but not near completely. Better results were had using a rso based topical with the root oil as a base.
In a few blind tests no one could differentiate between topical made with root infused oil and topical made without it.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Yes, clean roots chopped and processed the same way you would make butter but with coconut oil reduced pain for arthritis and fibromyalgia patient. Used topically the root oil reduced pain noticeably but not near completely. Better results were had using a rso based topical with the root oil as a base.
In a few blind tests no one could differentiate between topical made with root infused oil and topical made without it.

Yes, I do the same with the same results. Good medicine :good:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway

Oh so you guys are going topical, I was thinking of having him drink it.

The only references I found for the roots was making a tea and it was specifically for gout. I just thought the ancients drank it but maybe they did a soak.

Few questions.-
When you say clean the chopped roots. Are you doing this when they come out the pot fresh? When I harvested these roots a few months ago, I tried to wash out all the soil. Afterwards I wasn't sure if I washed away the medicine- being cannabinoids in trichomes or other compounds that may be water soluble.

Now the roots are dried. Are you using fresh or dried cured roots. You think it makes a difference?

Also if it is cannabinoids that are treating the gout should the concoction be decarbed?

I've read that thc-a is medicinal but not psychoactive. Not sure about the other cannabinoids but maybe it would be better medicine if it had both carboxylated and decarboxylated forms of the cannabinoids present.

I wonder if the Chinese used heat to make the tea, or just long room temp soaks. That may help to answer the decarb question.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Another question - you say patients notice no difference betweens added root and non added root. Has anyone tried only root?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Oh so you guys are going topical, I was thinking of having him drink it.

The only references I found for the roots was making a tea and it was specifically for gout. I just thought the ancients drank it but maybe they did a soak.

Few questions.-
When you say clean the chopped roots. Are you doing this when they come out the pot fresh? When I harvested these roots a few months ago, I tried to wash out all the soil. Afterwards I wasn't sure if I washed away the medicine- being cannabinoids in trichomes or other compounds that may be water soluble.

Now the roots are dried. Are you using fresh or dried cured roots. You think it makes a difference?

Also if it is cannabinoids that are treating the gout should the concoction be decarbed?

I've read that thc-a is medicinal but not psychoactive. Not sure about the other cannabinoids but maybe it would be better medicine if it had both carboxylated and decarboxylated forms of the cannabinoids present.

I wonder if the Chinese used heat to make the tea, or just long room temp soaks. That may help to answer the decarb question.

The roots have some compounds that are difficult for the liver to process. I would not suggest taking it orally, especially if you are immune compromised.

I shake soil from roots, rinse in water, and allow to dry. Then I chopped those up, and put them in a crock pot with coconut oil on low over night. The coconut oil is then used as a base for a topical.

You dont need to decarb the roots, there are not enough cannabinoids to warrent it.

I wood

Another question - you say patients notice no difference betweens added root and non added root. Has anyone tried only root?

Root oil alone only knocked the edge off the pain, moderately effective.
Balm with thc, cbd and many other essential oils worked much better
So much better that the root oil was discontinued as unnecessary.

I cleaned the roots, chopped and froze to burst the cell walls before extracting into coconut oil with time and heat. The process would have covered anything in question that would have been improved from decarboxylization.

Oral ingestion was never attempted for reasons reikox mentioned.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Root oil alone only knocked the edge off the pain, moderately effective.
Balm with thc, cbd and many other essential oils worked much better
So much better that the root oil was discontinued as unnecessary.

I cleaned the roots, chopped and froze to burst the cell walls before extracting into coconut oil with time and heat. The process would have covered anything in question that would have been improved from decarboxylization.

Oral ingestion was never attempted for reasons reikox mentioned.

I fully agree, a balm with thc & cbd works wonders for pain. I'm fortunate enough to be a member of a non-profit co-op dispensary that sells/offers pain cream to its members for a very reasonable price. Whenever I use it, I'm always amazed with the speed (5 minutes or less) and efficacy of pain relief.

I have bought numerous jars for close friends and family, and they all rant and rave over the stuff. I have tried different pain creams with a combo of thc/cbd, with and without, and find that the thc/cbd pain creams, the one's that offer higher dosage in mg.'s work best.

To further fight off gout, I suggest going to your local health food store and buying some Black Cherry Concentrate in pill form. Don't buy the Black Cherry Concentrate juice, it has sugar and will act as fuel for gout, making it worse.

Moreover, take lots of Vitamin C, 2000 mg.'s or more per day. It helps to flush out excess uric acid and purine buildup.

RMS

:smoweed:

I wood

Thank both of you!
Is the relief come after a single application or after many

For me relief is in minutes and lasts hours, breaking the pain cycle would leave me feeling less pain for a few days after also. I use it on a reconstructed ankle once or twice a week for maintenance or daily if working construction.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I fully agree, a balm with thc & cbd works wonders for pain. I'm fortunate enough to be a member of a non-profit co-op dispensary that sells/offers pain cream to its members for a very reasonable price. Whenever I use it, I'm always amazed with the speed (5 minutes or less) and efficacy of pain relief.

I have bought numerous jars for close friends and family, and they all rant and rave over the stuff. I have tried different pain creams with a combo of thc/cbd, with and without, and find that the thc/cbd pain creams, the one's that offer higher dosage in mg.'s work best.

To further fight off gout, I suggest going to your local health food store and buying some Black Cherry Concentrate in pill form. Don't buy the Black Cherry Concentrate juice, it has sugar and will act as fuel for gout, making it worse.

Moreover, take lots of Vitamin C, 2000 mg.'s or more per day. It helps to flush out excess uric acid and purine buildup.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=1936&pictureid=1896919&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

RMS

Do patients feel a high when the thc-a has been decarbed and actual active THC is absorbed topically?

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
The thc is this particular pain cream is thca. Hence, you get the medicinal efficacy of thca and cbd without the psychoactive effects of delta 9 thc.

RMS

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Do patients feel a high when the thc-a has been decarbed and actual active THC is absorbed topically?

Excellent question. Delta 9 THC can most defintely be absorbed thru your skin. Same goes for CBD. Soap companies already offer it in bath bombs/salts, soaps and shampoos. I will contact the dispensary Manager today and re-confirm for you what I already know and will post here.

IMHO, even if the thca was decarbed, with a 1:1 ratio of thc to cbd, mixed in with 4 oz. of cream and ointment, I doubt you would get very high. You might if you are a canna neophyte. The cbd would act as a parachute, negating the psychoactive effects of the thc.

RMS

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Should Not Cause Halucinations

Should Not Cause Halucinations

Read the label below..... :abduct:

This pain cream contains only THC-A .

RMS

Latest posts