What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ph problems

Robbie vapez

Back in the game after 10 years out off hydro
Got citric acid ph down to 5.8. It ain't working.
Tap water is 6.6, I am using maxibloom at half strength, fulvic at half strength and silica at half strength
.Ph rises out of control. It is not the silica, I stopped using it.
Within 24 hrs ph is way up. Back in the day I am sure ph down was phosphoric acid. I live way out back and we cant get that delivered.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your pH pen is broke!

Straight Maxibloom in 7.4 to 8.0 pH, 160ppm, tap water, @ 1 tsp/gal, once mixed pH's to around 4 to 5.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Get r/o and you'll only have to learn hydro once. Tap water is nearly infinitely variable in composition and it's effect on pH/nutes. Even 5 miles away on a different well/water-supply. ;)

Question, do you have airpumps aerating your reservoir? If you do, what happens to the pH when you turn them off? If it goes down, you're using too much air for the volume of nutrient solution.

Robbie vapez

My 2 ph meters are fine. I have calibrated
them at 7 and 4 twice in the last 2 weeks, the pen was out a bit, the blue lab
was spot on. Must be in the water, buffers and other shit in the town supply. Mixing a gallon of nutes at a time, dial it to 5.5, within 24 hrs it is 6.2-6.5

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I recall similar using vinegar as pH down...

After a few hours the ph would climb right back up to near what my starting point was.
I think It had to do with high PPM tap water w lots of Ca/Mg bicarbs in it.

Cvh

Supermod
Will find my EC meter and tune it up and check the tap water
Keep an eye also on the EC of your rez.

I'm not a hydro grower so take my advice with a grain of salt.

But it sounds to me you are not feeding enough (in case you are not watering drain to waste). Your plants are just taking out the nutes faster then it takes in the water. And because of the alkalinity of your water you'll see your pH go up.

Monitor the EC of your rez and bump it up if needed to keep it in range. Maybe mix in more nutes next time.

Read this article:
https://www.maximumyield.com/master-the-art-of-measuring-ec/2/1425

Whether you are a commercial grower or a hobbyist, it’s good to check the EC every day and adjust as necessary. For example, on a hot day with low humidity, plants will take up more water, leaving mineral salts behind and increasing EC levels. It will become necessary to top off the reservoir with fresh water.
On the other hand, during heavy fruiting and flowering, the plants may take up proportionally more minerals, leaving the water behind. In that case, the EC will tend to go down. During heavy flowering, you might want to top off with a little fertilizer after filling up the tank. Since many plants take up proportionally more potassium during heavy fruit and flower production, a potassium boost is a good way to put back in what the plant took out.

Robbie vapez

Zero areation, just mixing it in gallon jugs and shaking well to mix. Plants are veging in perlite drain to waste. Set at 5.5-5.8 initially, was going up to 6.5 after 24 hours. Got the EC pen out calibrated it. Tap water is 280ppm. I upped the maxibloom and added more ph down, it is now slowed the rise to 5.9-6. I ordered a ro filter that will bring my water to around 6. I guess I will have to add calmag now.

Douglas.Curtis

r/o should bring your water to 7. No clue what your 280ppm in the tap is buffered with, likely the reason you're having pH issues.

What ppm have you been feeding?

I've been adding a touch of Cal-Nit to Maxibloom, for the extra calcium. Epsom for the mag when the strain shows it wants it. I'm not a big fan of cal/mag products, since you usually want waaaay more calcium than mag. ;)

Robbie vapez

Strength now is 900 ppm. There was 2 ro filters, this one I ordered stated ph out around 6, there was another one that added minerals back in and it's ph was closer to 8

Douglas.Curtis

Your pH will be around 7. If it's higher or lower, its actually insignificant since the remaining elements affecting the pH is less than 14ppm. ;) Think of it likea soap bubble's difference in pH.

10ppm of any nutrient and it's as if it wasn't there. ;)

Filosofee

Try diluting the ph down in another cup of water, stir, give like 2 mines then pour into your gallon of nutrients. Hope this helps, it did for me.

jnlockar

MJPassion knows what he’s talking about maxibloom brings my 7.0 ph tap water 1tsp to a gal brings it to 4.0. The pen could be bad.I also noticed the more gals the less the ph goes down in my 5 gallon res it only brings it down to 4.6. I use only ph up and ph down those chemicals are meant to hold the ph. Same with the maxibloom it has a ph buffer in it. Try using full strength maxibloom that worked for me but even a one gal res will still need changed every 5 days max to prevent ph from going too high but try also using a 5.0ph water to top off res to bring it back down. Happy growing

Andyo

Veteran
cations V anions

cations V anions

I had this 25 years ago frustration
So i found out via grodans chemist
Its related to calcium nitrate v ammonium nitrate
unfortunatley ammonium nitrate is reportable due to terrorism and bomb making
But! you can use urea prils
I grew in perlite in the early days 1980,s and yes PH rose to 7.0 every time even using lots of nitric acid
You just need to add urea prils and at an amount that will oppose the rise
I make nutrient mixes have done 26 years or more i know exactly how much urea/amm nitrate to add to 20 litres concentrate of my nute formula

In my grow mix with 1.5 kg calcium nitrate its 30 G urea prils for hydroton in rain water

Perlite is about the same depending on water ph

Idealy use rain water or RO water

really need to stop using shitty tap water they add all kinds of shit such as aluminium sulphate ect.A

Andyo

Veteran
dry ph down

dry ph down

Back in the game after 10 years out off hydro
Got citric acid ph down to 5.8. It ain't working.
Tap water is 6.6, I am using maxibloom at half strength, fulvic at half strength and silica at half strength
.Ph rises out of control. It is not the silica, I stopped using it.
Within 24 hrs ph is way up. Back in the day I am sure ph down was phosphoric acid. I live way out back and we cant get that delivered.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Down-Gardening-2-2-Pound/product-reviews/B0051QKYFY