What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help bug eating my seeds

Found a bunch of seed husks with holes in them, inside cleaned out. Here is a photo of the culprit. I would like to learn the name of the bug and how to keep them from eating more seeds. We just harvested a large seed crop and the buds are drying and the bugs are probably still eating them. What to do?

M

metsäkana

20020_original.jpg

yesterday i found similar kind on my bud on group with white pearly eggs.. outdoor buds
looks bit like stink bug nymphs but the coloring is different, like was in mine too i think.. lol hardly can remember what it looked like after sleeping lol

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I showed the pic to AF who suggested either Chinavia hilaris or some early stage of a species of Eurydema.

I've also asked an entymologist and will report back if I hear anything.

A fridge won't do much to most beetles, but I would definitely suggest you use some type of seed blower or fan to remove the lighter objects - it should separate the seed from the bugs.

you can also bring water to 50 deg C for 20 minutes - make sure it stays at 50 for the full 20 minutes. This is standard quarantine protocol for untreated imported seeds in many countries.

Thanks so much for that Chimera. The original photo was from the harvest collection, basically we cut the plant, wrapped it in a tarp and gave it a vigorous shake to remove the seed that ready to fall out. When we saw husks with holes in them we assumed the couple of bugs in our collection did the deed. Of course that may not be the case.
We noted some other smaller bugs in the mix also. See new photos
We will treat the seeds in hot water (122f) before storage as you suggests. That trick would also be useful for those who dont want to import mite eggs and such that could come in on seeds. :tiphat: