What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Syrian landrace

Lesnah

Yes, you can expect it to have similar characteristics to the Lebanese and Sinai, it's from the same fundamental region

I know, i'm a member on the other forum...are you planning on ever going back there? We still posts there 😎

Azaghal

Veteran
Hello everybody :tiphat:,

would like to share here some photos of a Syrian Landrace, hope it is okay for you misterD since you started this thread.
Picture quality is not very good, sorry.

These genestics do not come directly from The Real Seed Company
but are sourced from a Genebank like the progenitors TRSC used to reproduce their seeds.

"Sourcing: Obtained via gene bank"

"Note: These seeds were not obtained by RSC directly from Syria. However, a reproduction was run and a small number of packs have been made available after receiving several requests from interested collectors."

via TRSC hompage.

The seeds were sown the 6th of June this year and quite old, so the germination rate was 8 out of 15 seeds.
From these 8 seedlings 3 were not really viable/vital and thus were discarded. Ultimately 3 females and 2 males developed and roughly 2 Phenos in both males and females could be observed:

1. Columnar Phenotype with few branches which stays green, high resin output, earlier of both to start flowering ( 1 m / 1 f).
2. More branched Phenotype who shows purple colors upon ripening,started later to flower (1 m / 1 (2) f ).

They were quite easy to handle with no diseases encountered except aphids on the columnar female later on .
The columnar male showed some visible trichomes.
They were first grown outdoors, the moved inside a small greenhouse and the pictures were taken indoors.

Seed source:

Both males:

Apical top of early, green Syrian male:

Attachments

• Branchy Pheno whole.jpg
    Branchy Pheno whole.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Branchy Pheno upper front.jpg
    Branchy Pheno upper front.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Branchy Pheno apical inflorescens.jpg
    Branchy Pheno apical inflorescens.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Branchy Pheno Bud.jpg
    Branchy Pheno Bud.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 103

Azaghal

Veteran
Intermediate Pheno, but more like the second, purple, more branched and later flowering Phenotype.

Cheers everybody :)

Attachments

• Intermediate Pheno Bud.jpg
    Intermediate Pheno Bud.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 66
  • Intermediate Pheno apical inflorescens.jpg
    Intermediate Pheno apical inflorescens.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Intermediate Pheno upper front.jpg
    Intermediate Pheno upper front.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Intermediate Pheno whole.jpg
    Intermediate Pheno whole.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 74

thejact55

Thanks for sharing. You dont see these pop up often, even after trsc released them. (I know, not from trsc, but same source they eventually got them from).
They look a little different that the run ellis did, that trsc's stock came from.
Kudos!

Azaghal

Veteran
Hello everybody,

thank you very much for the good vibes Night4wings20,Illuminate,
thejact55, yesum and everybody else !:tiphat:

Wonder what the chemotype data looks like!

Don't know, but suppose most likely mixed, 1:1 THC/CBD Phenotypes in the single digit range. :)

For example and as other users already pointed out, ACE Seeds released Cannabinoid Test Reports on their Lebanese and Erdpurt Hashish varietys, they are good points of reference for some hashish varieties Imho.
(Found on their hompage and own section of ICMag).
But also The Real Seed Company released Cannabinoid Tests on their varietys and many users with their varieties as well.

Below size of two reproduced seeds of green female x green male with a match for reference.

Second attached picture sourced from Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany
by Robert C. Clarke and Mark D. Merlin, p. 48.

Cheers

Attachments

• Seed size Syrian.jpg
    Seed size Syrian.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Modern vs. Traditional phenotype selection.jpg
    Modern vs. Traditional phenotype selection.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Thanks for sharing, i was just looking up sexual determination in that book! Look forward to seeing more!:tiphat:

Night4wings20

Awesome seed photo, I love the little 'stripe' across near where the seed came popped from the calyx base. Good luck with the next generation!

Azaghal

Veteran
Hi everyone, :tiphat:

thank you for the kind words Illuminate and Night4wings20.
Just want to share a final imression on this variety.
It is interestingly diffrent to many "commercial" cannabis varietys.

Smell of cured flowers reminds of red berrys and wine
with a slight acidic-sour touch.
The effect is almost exclusively felt in the body with not much psychoactivity to be noticed, but the body feeling of relaxation
is quite nice.
Heard from feedback of occasional smokers that they appreciated
the kind effect because of being able to concentrate and being productive while still feeling a "body buzz".

Cheers

Attachments

• Syrian, random buds.jpg
    Syrian, random buds.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Syrian, random buds 2.jpg
    Syrian, random buds 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Syrian seed size.jpg
    Syrian seed size.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 94

CannaZen

Thank you, really interesting genetics like the color, cool photos. Reminiscent of oldschool buds from classic high times magazine editions. Worth preserving looks like to me. Its nice to know some people may feel a buzz from them, i actually would prefer to grow at least 20% thc plants myself but from original heirloom lines they're not so homogenized like mono-poly-hybrids i think they have a different edge to them that i like. I wanna catch em all! <3 I'm still trying to better understand the difference between these two different type of original breed-lines to do with post modernism.

Breadwizard

picture.php

D, E, and F (left to right) before topping. F is slow, but has whorled parax, and has three leafs per node, it will stay untopped for a week or so more.

You can see the differences in the phenotypical expression already in this line: E has much wider leaves, and there is a variation in shade of green in A and B (not shown). C is a mutant with ugly krinkle leaf, and may be purged if it does not grow out of it.

Breadwizard

I hope I'm not bothering anyone, seemingly flooding this thread with updates and pics, there doesn't seem to be too much information or grow journals of this line. These plants are about 4 weeks from when they popped above soil. They have been topped once and almost all plants cloned. The seed plants (pictured) will likely be put outside to flower in order to determine sex, as well to create an open pollination for more seeds (P2?). When they are at it, I'll be pollinating a few early sativas for an attempt at a super early outdoor line.

First picture is A (left) and B. B is showing a bit of color, and has the most "sativa" habit, wants to stretch up, not out, has the thinnest leaves and is showing some color in the stem. Leaves on B are more yellow than other seedlings. A has wider leaves, slightly blotchy looking (although not as wide of leaves as E)
picture.php

Next is D (left) and E. D is showing a wine dark stem, and has the tightest innernodes if the group. D also displays a more "bluish" leaf color (does not show well in photos). E has the widest leaves, and has pretty tight innernodes as well. Definitely an indica pheno.
picture.php

Last are F (left) and C. F has whorled leaf arrangement, with three leaves per node. It has been topped once, and is behind everyone else but C. C had terribly ugly krinkle leaf, which seems to be going away somewhat after topping, however it is still the slowest seedling, and will likely be tossed.
picture.php

Breadwizard

Just a typical vegging weed smell, none really stand out yet. The sativa expression and the widest leaf expression have my eye at the moment, along with the seedling with dark red stems.

Latest posts

Latest posts