What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jack Herer

I

Irish_traveller

i have 2 x Jack Herer from Greenhouse Seeds in pots now i hope there
good..

ProperGreen

I've got one Jock Horror showing the sandalwood trait. Its got about 6wks left to flower, but I've grown a Critical Jack from Delicious Seeds, which had the same trait!
Smelled nothing like herb during flowering, more like pepper at first, which transitioned into that sandalwood aroma. The Jock I have now is going thru the pepper phase, so I'm assuming/hoping it'll carry one.
I got it because it's possibly a knockoff of the real mckoy, and the genetic make up was the same..

Will post how these Jock Horror's pan out.
In the mean time, here's Delicious Seeds Critical Jack, def. Jack dominant.

7558-buds-from-the-top-shelf

Golden Tree

Great thread guys....I AGREE... One of the BEST strains....if it's truly a Jack....

Here is MY favourite Jack Herer....Sensi Seeds...TLO grown....this lady hasn't lost a BIT of character over the last 9 years....a real joy to grow and smoke....70 day finisher....REAL...Jack smell...taste...and effect...!..

Cheers guys...good vibes....much respect...;)

Golden Tree

yMCv3Xu.jpg

k5oXLqn.jpg

Z7TKBKh.jpg

bD7ogU1.jpg

idiit

Veteran
Allow me to explain. Jack Herer is an unstable strain bred from an unequal combination of Sk#1, NL#5, and Haze. Crossing a male and female Jack Herer creates an F2 generation which has a HUGE number of possible recombinations of the genes. I grew out some Jack Herer F2's and discovered a SPECIAL one, "Princess", which has many improvements on the original JH such as a shorter flowering time, denser bud structure and pineapple scent/flavou

^ excerpt from a great post here at ic:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=708022&highlight=dutch+flowers+metal+haze#post708022

idiit

Veteran
chimera's comments on his jh line:

The Jack Herrer line has morphed since it was first released, and the huge variation comes presumably from the poly-hybrid nature of the top cross which became 'Jack Herrer'; it has been bred and grown by many different hands each putting their own spin on the line. Like I said above, to me 'Jack Herrer' is a line almost pure in terpinolene with very few other terps adding the flavour and scent, and this gives a uniquely 'dutch' quality to the nose... its a smell I associate with walking around between the Damrak, Singel, Lilegracht and Bloemgracht, from De Nieuw Kerk area just north of Dam Square westward to the BloemMarkt near the Anne Frank Huis. To me it just typifies dutch cannabis.

This line I call "Jack", is obviously a little different due the the NL influence that we infused back around '96. I recently tested a batch of old GFxNL seeds (half siblings using the same NL pollen inputs) that we ran through the grow and analytical lab, and I was amazed that such a cross could have such a uniform terpene profile/ finger print between siblings given how the GF throws such variance in a backcross population. Give or take a small degree of variance with respective terpene levels, the overall fingerprints of the siblings were almost identical- the chemist hadn't seen such uniform profiles from any other crosses to date. This was the result of the extremely true breeding nature of the NL that was used in all of the above crosses, including being the pollen input for the line I call 'Jack'.

Overall, as a plant, if I were to make a comparison... it would be in the same family of plants that as a class include C99. That mostly terpinolene and myrcene profile, with the little limonene spike and about equal levels of alpha and beta pinene gives a citrusy nose that some describe as grapefruit and others associate with pineapple - in fact one of the names the jack got in our group locally is PineappleJack.

The almost total lack of sesquiterps (beta caryophyllene and humulene mainly) really takes out any spicy or woody component and leaves a nose that to most, land squarely in "fruity". It's a clear, non-muddy experience that allows you to keep functioning, and the entourage keeps the clear-minded and functional perspective. On her own, I find the plants to be day-time smokes, and are easily tolerated by people that don't smoke as often as some of us. They are very easy growing plants on their own, and the only real drawback from them for some is their slightly less rigid stems that can become especially floppy in low light conditions, or if you don't have sufficient wind to strengthen the branches.

I'm not trying to confuse anyone with the name 'Jack', but this line is really no longer what I typify as 'Jack Herrer'. It's shifted into it's own family for sure, and doesn't fit the variety profile or terpenotype of the original. I can tell you though, that grown right, this one is productive and has irie vibes, bringing positive thought and open-minded expansion of thought.... its not dumb you down, flog you mentally cannabis. For inexperienced growers that can keep a good solid environment, this makes an excellent hybrid plant that tolerates abuse and will power through most f-ups. They tend to come in on the early side of approximately 8 weeks, which is what I consider the absolute earliest cannabis should ever be harvested. We've had a few limited reviews so far, but I know what these plants can do and I'm looking forward to seeing how these perform across a range of gardens; I know we're going to see some impressive results from Jack while they last

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6783612#post6783612

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Can't find any JH clones anywhere around here. If you were to recommend the best place to get the beans let me know!

Used to get extremely good batches of Jack two phenos one skunkier and one hazier when I was in school in Boston, the haze pheno even had the NY kids calling it haze

Stash

I remember people that should know saying years ago that Apollo 13 was just some seed taken from a bag of Jack Herer. The funny thing is the two phenos of Apollo13 are also; one pheno is Haze like, second pheno is Skunk like. There is one pheno of Apollo 13 that will simply kick your ass. Good Apollo 13 needs a lot of light to grow right and if you don't use lots of light it wont be the same. I've always used MH lights.
In the posted chimera's comments on his jh line: "The Jack Herrer line has morphed since it was first released" I say the same thing has happened to Apollo 13 or just maybe it's the way different people grow it. It's been years since I've grown any of my Apollo 13 seeds but I started years ago with F1's. Maybe if we crossed my Apollo 13's with Chimera's pure JH we may have the kick ass shit. If Chimera would like to work with Apollo 13 I will give him the seeds.
Later, Stash

Last edited:

Stash

Every Apollo 13 that I have grown leaned over while it was growing. Dose anyone know if a pure Jack Herer leans over while it is growing?

Hello all.. I'm bumping this thread with my first post.

I have kept a Jack Herer clone line from around 2003 or possibly earlier - I was gifted it back then but I'm not 100% sure of it's actual vintage or seedbank origins but I'm pretty sure it was Sensi seeds.

It seems to be a mixed phenotype in that it grows very tall (without training/pruning) with weak stems and narrow leaves, yet makes large, very dense resiny buds with a very low leaf ratio. The plant has a fairly mild, tropical fruit (pineapple?) aroma when growing.

The dried buds are rock-hard nuggets that smell fruity with pepper, spice, hash and a hint of lemon sherbet. The high is potent & uplifting, yet relaxing with no couch lock whatsoever.

If grown well, a single plant under 600w yields 18-22 Oz with three weeks of veg and seven weeks of flower. See photos

Single plant at 7 weeks of 12/12
picture.php

Bud at 5 weeks
picture.php

Bud at 7 weeks (apologies as it was taken with phone camera on flash)
picture.php

Close-up of smaller bud
picture.php

Close-up of trichomes at about 5 weeks
picture.php

I have tried many other strains over the years but as yet none have replaced this Jack Herer.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice looking lady. :biggrin:
Do you typically take her at 7 weeks?
Those pics look as if she could go a couple weeks longer. Have you tried harvesting at different times?

~star~crash~

I have kept a Jack Herer clone line from around 2003 or possibly earlier - I was gifted it back then but have no idea of it's actual vintage or seedbank origins.

It seems to be a mixed phenotype in that it grows very tall (without training/pruning) with weak stems and narrow leaves, yet makes large, very dense resiny buds with a very low leaf ratio. The plant has a fairly mild sweet spicy odour in grow.

The cured buds are rock hard nuggets that smell and taste of spice, pine and hash mixed with lemon sherbet. The high is potent & uplifting, yet relaxing with no couch lock whatsoever.

If grown well, a single plant under 600w yields 18-20 Oz with three weeks of veg and seven weeks of flower. See photos

View Image

Bud at 5 weeks
View Image

View Image

Close-up of smaller bud
View Image

View Image

I have tried many other strains over the years but as yet none have replaced this Jack Herer.

a beauty for sure...quite the keeper

I have kept a Jack Herer clone line from around 2003 or possibly earlier - I was gifted it back then but have no idea of it's actual vintage or seedbank origins.

It seems to be a mixed phenotype in that it grows very tall (without training/pruning) with weak stems and narrow leaves, yet makes large, very dense resiny buds with a very low leaf ratio. The plant has a fairly mild sweet spicy odour in grow.

The cured buds are rock hard nuggets that smell and taste of spice, pine and hash mixed with lemon sherbet. The high is potent & uplifting, yet relaxing with no couch lock whatsoever.

If grown well, a single plant under 600w yields 18-20 Oz with three weeks of veg and seven weeks of flower. See photos

View Image

Bud at 5 weeks
View Image

View Image

Close-up of smaller bud
View Image

View Image

That's awesome!!

Nice looking lady. :biggrin:
Do you typically take her at 7 weeks?
Those pics look as if she could go a couple weeks longer. Have you tried harvesting at different times?

I know most would consider 7 weeks as too early based trichome colour. As I don't have humidity control I find the risk of mould in the large buds increases beyond about 50 days. I usually pull them when the majority of stigmas have turned orange and bud girth has obviously slowed. See photos below of some dried/cured buds.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

HazyBulldog

That looks sooo good. Hats off to ya.

I remember the jack from back in the day. Xlixer company has a great jack, and I am thinking I should pick up the J-31 (or something) from harborside that is Jack. Thanks for sharing.