What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hello Again - 2400watt Recirculating DWC Grow

Dubracer....Thanks for your reply.... I now believe I can achieve the water feed rate I need.

At what level do you keep the water during full on grow...above the bottom of net pot...at bottom of net pot...or below?

My drains are at the top of my buckets hence there will be no clogging of lines possible! ( Bigtoke style)

I'm not using lava rock ,using clay instead and thats why setting water level is needed info. It seems that those doing 5 gallon set water an inch under the net pot and those using tubs over 10 gallons above the net pot bottom.

Gotta love the bucket grows,yours are seriously looking great!

dgtm85

man beautiful plants, so healthy and happy it really is great to see. gotta love the growth rate of DWC was my first hydro system ran and still one of my favorites to this day. keep it up man going to be a good yield.

...subbed...

dubracer

Dubracer....Thanks for your reply.... I now believe I can achieve the water feed rate I need.

At what level do you keep the water during full on grow...above the bottom of net pot...at bottom of net pot...or below?

My drains are at the top of my buckets hence there will be no clogging of lines possible! ( Bigtoke style)

I'm not using lava rock ,using clay instead and thats why setting water level is needed info. It seems that those doing 5 gallon set water an inch under the net pot and those using tubs over 10 gallons above the net pot bottom.

Gotta love the bucket grows,yours are seriously looking great!

I keep the water about 3" below the netpots this far into growth. As clones, I run the water about 1" up into the netpot (with hydroton clay balls). As they develop roots, I slowly lower the water level. The aeroponic environment created by the airstone and the splash of the water feed is great; i've put thermometers inside this area and it stays very very high humidity and nice and warm, promoting a ton of root growth. But yeah, the buckets are only about 1/2 full at this point in the grow. There is no more aeroponic environment needed and I've found it more beneficial to lower the water level to promote the big roots firming up, making the plant a bit more resilient.

I've done some experiments with raising the drain, and unfortunately I was never pleased with the results. Using dye and stuff like that, along with a clear bucket, I found that there wasn't what I consider sufficient recirculation of water. With the feed lines i use and the flow the buckets receive, to maximize the recirculation of nutrients and such, I need to place the drains at the bottom. When I put them up a ways, pockets were created that sat in there for long periods of time. The only way I could overcome this was by using a serious amount of flow and that just doesn't make sense for me for a variety of reasons.

man beautiful plants, so healthy and happy it really is great to see. gotta love the growth rate of DWC was my first hydro system ran and still one of my favorites to this day. keep it up man going to be a good yield.

...subbed...

Thanks dgtm85; things are going pretty good. Despite how good everything looks, the first grow with new genetics and a new location just never goes as planned. I guarantee I will double this yield.

My only worry right now is everything firming up proper. I've never used these nutrients I am using, and I don't feel they are packing on enough girth. Crystal development is beyond this world; but they aren't densing up.

I have to remember that I'm not using Co2 like usual, and using less powerful lights as well. We will see. The next grow will have a screen from the get go, and I trhink that will add 2 pounds right there by allowing nice even light distribution.

dgtm85

Thanks dgtm85; things are going pretty good. Despite how good everything looks, the first grow with new genetics and a new location just never goes as planned. I guarantee I will double this yield.

My only worry right now is everything firming up proper. I've never used these nutrients I am using, and I don't feel they are packing on enough girth. Crystal development is beyond this world; but they aren't densing up.

I have to remember that I'm not using Co2 like usual, and using less powerful lights as well. We will see. The next grow will have a screen from the get go, and I trhink that will add 2 pounds right there by allowing nice even light distribution.
man no lie co2 and a screen would be crazy be able to spread those canopies out a bit and get some nice penetration. hope the nugs dense up on ya (sure they will do nicely) im here for the ride though keep it up.:jump:

Dubracer
Your reply has been the best yet in understanding as to why different levels in different sized buckets or tubs...circulation and volume is key!

I'm thinking of changing to a bottom drain.... Here's to hoping I can use the 1 3/4 inch bulkheads that I already have instead of using smaller ones. I started buying new buckets today!

Waiting for your next update!
Again thanx!

I'll patch up the old buckets later... Maybe sell them!

dubracer

Cut everything done last week. Things just didn't end the way I had hoped. Investigating still. One plant bulked up beautifully; I'm confused why this happened.

That being said, it still should be a good harvest, and THC production is insane.

But, I will be going back to Advanced Nutrients and a sealed room with CO2. I need to go with what I know best. I feel with a SCROG, CO2, and sealed, I could have more then doubled the yield. Yield looks around 3-4.

itisme

Veteran
Sick bro....Great looking plants. Seriously, whomever said closer to four lbs. has to be right.

I have been wondering, what gives the DWC or RDWC the heat issues with the water everybody talks about?

If I do just DWC as a newbie to this technique, would that be safest? I love this thread. I'll be back.

The lights heat up the room...the buckets being exposed absorb the heat unless covered,room cooled,or recirculated through a cool reservoir.

If I'm correct 65-68 degrees is the proper water temps for the roots...the cool water holds more oxygen than warm and the plant will thrive.

If the water gets to warm root rot and other issues will become dangerous to the plants!

Dubracer
Did you get a chance to take some pics before cutting?
What will you look for in your efforts to solve the "lesser yield mystery"....no doubt it will be interesting and I hope you post it here!

I'm eagerly awaiting your next grow too!
Advanced nutes and a sealed room appears to be rare in most forum sites.

BattleAxe

Very nice work here. I am researching right now and am leaning towards stepping up to a bio bucket system. The thought of only maintaining one res is mighty appealing. I use 4 site 27 Gl tubs right now and am running into space issues, my plants are fighting each other for light.

If you were to revamp your system, what changes would you implement?

kabanos

Hi. I wonder how much drought is possible to get from one plant of grow from under setup like this and in hydroponic like this..?

P

putoneout

Very nice illustration of a quality rdwc grow. I'm impressed and glad to see your grow in action. I miss it, I miss growing in general but I really miss the rdwc....