in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > H3ad goes Coco

Thread Title Search
Buy Cannabis Seeds at Royal Queen Seeds
H3ad goes Coco Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grat3fulh3ad
That OE cut will be around a long time to come... Killer smoke and an awesome breeding parent, what more can ya ask for...

On a side note... I also have two more new OE ladies from seed, and a killer looking male I'm gonna test cross to the ECSD cut....

Morning Head,

Glad to see you popped more of those seeds. I still can't believe the germ rate on those. I've got to check the dates, but they are getting up there in age. I've got three lone pack for myself. Roughly 45 seeds to give a look at. I'm glad you got some more females to look at and even better. A good male to cross also. Can't wait to hear and see the results of the ECSD cross. I'm sure that one will be a good one. Well, thanks for the info. Will be following the coco thread. I've used the Ready-Gro mix before my problems. It's a coco base medium and i liked it. This and other threads will help me and others. To make the change over if i go that route. Thanks for sharing your grow with us.
Take care,
BG

Old 04-11-2007, 04:57 PM #22
Rosy Cheeks
dancin' cheek to cheek

Rosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud of
Quote:
I have to humbly disagree on that point... Evidence seems to show larger yield per container size in coco.... Sure it is partially about rootmass size, but it is equally about how eficiently the roots can utilize the space they are filling....

Roots LOVE coco....
I agree with you that a porous light weight medium will allow for better root distribution, and more root space, but it all depends on the composition of the soil, or whatever medium you use.

I use both coco and BioBizz All-mix, which technically is soil (20% sphagnum peat moss, 35% garden peat, 10% organic Worm-Humus, 30% perlite and 5% Pre-Mix), and it's clear to me that I get slightly more impressive plants in the All-mix than the coco, as well as slightly higher yields, and less ph issues.
I still mix coco into the All-mix though, because of better water retention than the All-mix, and I love coco as a medium.

I just have to say things the way I see it, in my garden.

"The time has come" the walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing wax
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings."

Lewis Carroll

Rosy's Mugshots and stuff...

looking for the Ogre

Blueberry Buds and some Wild Thoughts

Overgrow!

-Anything said by Rosy Cheeks is made up by a person trying to make himself seem important on the internet. The pictures in the gallery are photoshopped fakes.
Rosy Cheeks is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM #23
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Grat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosy Cheeks
I agree with you that a porous light weight medium will allow for better root distribution, and more root space, but it all depends on the composition of the soil, or whatever medium you use.

I use both coco and BioBizz All-mix, which technically is soil (20% sphagnum peat moss, 35% garden peat, 10% organic Worm-Humus, 30% perlite and 5% Pre-Mix), and it's clear to me that I get slightly more impressive plants in the All-mix than the coco, as well as slightly higher yields, and less ph issues.
I still mix coco into the All-mix though, because of better water retention than the All-mix, and I love coco as a medium.

I just have to say things the way I see it, in my garden.
More ph issues with coco than peat? amazing... my experience has been quite the opposite... The coco affects the pH of my nute solution none at all, or very minutely at most...

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." – Carl Sagan

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no egoentity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words. Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities.""Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains." – Buddha
Grat3fulh3ad is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 05:28 PM #24

There is absolutely no denying or arguing about Coco,it will beat most systems hands down,imo and from what I have seen,I think it could even give dwc a run as far as explosive growth.pictures dont lie,look around and youll see for yerself.
We are about to experiance a coco revolution on this planet and for good reason.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 PM #25
the protege
Marijuana Connoisseur

the protege will become famous soon enough
coco consists of at least 30% of my all organic mix, i add a little humus, ewc's, and maybe 10-20% peat, perlite, and then amend. I believe coco should be the base of any good soil/soil-less mix. It really allows the plants access to water without drowning them. Plus, it works well with my teas.... just thought I'd throw a couple coins

Original Overgrower
the protege is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM #26
Ono Nadagin
Murphy's InLaw

Ono Nadagin will become famous soon enoughOno Nadagin will become famous soon enoughOno Nadagin will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the CoCo forum GH we are damn glad ya decided to hang your hat here

also , imo tt is the increased amount of Cation exchange that give you better bigger plants in a smaller pot of coco

One other thing GH, you may want to watch out for the Epsom salts as Old Piculiar mentioned it has been used by several on this forum with horid restults... iirc the salt screws with teh cations in the coco and makes for lock ups.. I will see if I can didg up the old old post that discussed the science behind why not to use epsoms salts

Online Unit Conversion Tool......
Sunrise Sunset Calculator

Ono Nadagin is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM #27
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Grat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ono Nadagin
Welcome to the CoCo forum GH we are damn glad ya decided to hang your hat here

also , imo tt is the increased amount of Cation exchange that give you better bigger plants in a smaller pot of coco

One other thing GH, you may want to watch out for the Epsom salts as Old Piculiar mentioned it has been used by several on this forum with horid restults... iirc the salt screws with teh cations in the coco and makes for lock ups.. I will see if I can didg up the old old post that discussed the science behind why not to use epsoms salts
I'll keep that in mind about the epsom salts, but so far (30 days using them) all I see is healthy rapid growth.. I am aware of potential salt build ups, but since the nutrient I use is a mixture of chemical salts to begin with, and since I am very careful with the ratios and concentrations, I really don't expect any problems. 1g per gallon is a very low dose of epsom(less than a teaspoon in 5gallons)...

From what I understand with the cation exchange process, as it relates to the coco... Mg and Ca cations exchange with K and Na cations in the coco, causing the deficiencies in Mg and Ca to show up... the mix I'm using adresses this by providing enough Mg and Ca to allow for some Exchange, while limiting the K in the mix... knowing it will be released in the exchange... And of course in a nutrient solution with higher K, when the cation exchange takes place lockouts occur...

I would be interested in reading whatever you've got on the subject, and if any problems develop the epsoms will be looked at first...

So far so good...

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." – Carl Sagan

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no egoentity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words. Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities.""Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains." – Buddha
Grat3fulh3ad is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 PM #28
-VT-
Voluptuous Trichomes

-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice
GH nutes work well in coco....

....as illustrated by your pics
Quote:
I have also seen advantage in keeping the coco fairly wet, I'm guessing that the coco holds the nutes so well, that as moisture evaporates out, concentrations rise...
I think you're on to something there...I agree....and it's exascerbated if using pure coir ....but I dunno, really...just an uneducated guess ....I've never tried the Lucas formula....but I have tried GH chem nutes in a coco premix from Botanicare (cut with hydrotron)....good nutes...GH nutes are clean
This should be a good show Gonna tag this one and learn.....welcome to the coco forum

Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 PM #29

Welcome to the coco side h3ad!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:33 PM #30

Welcome to the Coco forum Mr and Mrs Head!

Looks great so far, I am very curious to see how the Lucas formula works out for you as it sure is alot cheaper than the A and B from Canna. Are you using any supplements, either the coco specifics or other? What kind of Coco mix do you have going, just pure or did you add anything to it? I'm in about 75% Coco and 25% coarse perlite, with hydroton in the bottom of my pots to keep the daily watering mess down to a min. I just picked up some G33 bx2's and will be sprouting them in a couple weeks once my order comes in, how have they fed for you in the past? Can't wait to see some more pics, your mrs is very handy with that camera, have a good one