What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any life long stoners have Alzheimer's?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Not sure if this should be in medical forum, but less traffic over there.

That is the question. I have not met a tons of people in 70's or 80's, and have not met an Alzheimers victim, among them. We all forget things when too many hits and beers, but in general have great memories. I swear I remember nursery in hospital, circumsism, and parents having sex on bed when infant, among many other bits of all sections of life.

W

Water-

I met Timothy Leary a long time ago
and he was getting Alzheimers but he he did a bit more than smoke herb.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I met Timothy Leary a long time ago
and he was getting Alzheimers but he he did a bit more than smoke herb.

That could be, being fried from acid.

I do not think shrooms are as harmful as Sid.

I have mistakenly OD'd on THC, three times eating, and one time e-nail oil. One I was zig zag walking, and had to go to bed, and just saw colors for hours, without sleep. All had to go to bed.

I ate full cookie, when 1/4th puts me to sleep for 10 hours.

W

Water-

I remember him saying that senility was like the effects of smoking really good weed

shithawk420

Veteran
Good God! You remember being circumsised Loc? I remember lots of things as an infant but damn that must be awful to remember.thats one thing I'm glad I don't remember.sorry bro

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The answer may be affected by how many aluminum cans/bowls/bats they've used as well? I remember making 10-15 tinfoil pipes during my early teens. lol I've done my best to avoid aluminum for a few decades now, especially around heated and inhaled cannabis. (Same with plastics)

Aluminum cooking pans anyone?

dufous

Aluminum does not cause Alzheimer's. The aluminum in the brain is an effect of the disease, not its cause.

Aluminum is the most common element in the Earth's crust. Your body and your brain are well adapted to manage it.

Let's put this aluminum myth to rest. It was based on a very poorly done study from more than forty years ago.

There's much better evidence for other causes, such as vascular health and your gut microbiome.

St. Phatty

Aluminum does not cause Alzheimer's. The aluminum in the brain is an effect of the disease, not its cause.

Aluminum is the most common element in the Earth's crust. Your body and your brain are well adapted to manage it.

Let's put this aluminum myth to rest. It was based on a very poorly done study from more than forty years ago.

There's much better evidence for other causes, such as vascular health and your gut microbiome.

Lead and mercury, and maybe arsenic, get most of the attention for being neuro-toxic.

However, there is also low level neuro toxicity. I recently had my well water tested for copper content, after reading an article about neuro toxicity from copper.

The human brain being as sensitive as it is, I don't dismiss people who avoid aluminum. I don't worry about it myself ... got too much other stuff to worry about :woohoo:

I ended up emailing with the lady Dr. that wrote the article about neuro-toxicity. I respect her concern about copper neuro-toxicity.

In my case, I basically live on top of a copper mine, and about 100 yards away from what used to be a gold mine. I always feel a little different after drinking well water than after drinking bottled spring water. Not sure why.

I have neighbors, 2 brothers, one of them deceased, whose behavior is exactly described if you do a web-search for Lead toxicity. Usually 4 or 5 symptoms are described. They are/were 4/4 or 5/5, depending on which list of symptoms you use.

I would bet money that their childhood home had lead pipes.

The thing about tracking metal related neuro-toxicity is its DAMN EXPENSIVE. All that testing. It's easier to just be careful about what you put in your body.

And to SAVE YOUR LUNGS for the good stuff :woohoo:

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting. Appreciate you pointing that out.

I'd like to say your body absorbs more aluminum from a couple hits from an aluminum bowl, than it would absorb from living in our modern environment for a few years.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the subject. Though it's the most abundant element in the crust, this tells me nothing about how much aluminum humans are exposed to in foods and through other means. Not something I'll be doing research on soon, but I'd definitely read anything interesting that's posted as 'relevant' content. :)

Raho

Veteran
found this in Sam's "interesting things" thread:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...nihms61230.pdf
Mol Pharm. 2006 ; 3(6): 773–777. doi:10.1021/mp060066m.
A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and
Alzheimer's Disease Pathology

Lisa M. Eubanks, Claude J. Rogers, Albert E. Beuscher IV, George F. Koob, Arthur J.
Olson, Tobin J. Dickerson, and Kim D. Janda
[/FONT]

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Elderly here, daily smoker (5-8 jays) for 45 yrs. but no cigs or alcohol, fantastic memory for detail, fantastic cholesterol, blood pressure, arteries and everything else and not on any prescription meds.

..... I don't credit myself or my lifestyle for any of this (lifelong diet of meat n' potatos and everything else bad for ya) but I am starting to think that cannabis has played a very large role in my
health status along with lucky genes and modern antibiotics.:tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Elderly here, daily smoker (5-8 jays) for 45 yrs. but no cigs or alcohol, fantastic memory for detail, fantastic cholesterol, blood pressure, arteries and everything else and not on any prescription meds.

..... I don't credit myself or my lifestyle for any of this (lifelong diet of meat n' potatos and everything else bad for ya) but I am starting to think that cannabis has played a very large role in my

i had same dining habits you mention, plus did drink (heavily) for decades. but...i never had any apparent health problems until AFTER i was forced to curtail my daily smoking sessions. almost overnight (within weeks, actually) my blood pressure shot up, i began having problems sleeping, my arthritis got WAY worse, and i began having symptoms from blood sugar problems, peripheral neuropathy. what i would give to be able to burn a hogleg again after work without worrying about being asked to piss in a bottle the next week...:comfort:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I have noticed that my mind has slowed a bit, and I find it difficult to pull up names/facts and details from my cerebral hard drive ever since I spent 30 months in such extreme heat when I was detained in Manila.

It does make me kinda realize how and why people are slower to develop in hot countries. The cooler/colder nations on the planet have had to get their shit together for winters so are more industrious historically.

Sitting and sweating in up to 40C - 104F for so long day in and day out makes me feel like I might have fried quite a few brain-cells......or is what I feel a precursor for Alzheimer's?.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just watched a YT video about using coconut oil for something like 60 days to help with and maybe 'cure' alzheimer's

Douglas.Curtis

I have noticed that my mind has slowed a bit, and I find it difficult to pull up names/facts and details from my cerebral hard drive ever since I spent 30 months in such extreme heat when I was detained in Manila.

It does make me kinda realize how and why people are slower to develop in hot countries. The cooler/colder nations on the planet have had to get their shit together for winters so are more industrious historically.

Sitting and sweating in up to 40C - 104F for so long day in and day out makes me feel like I might have fried quite a few brain-cells......or is what I feel a precursor for Alzheimer's?.
I would attribute a bit of it to dehydration damage. It's difficult to stay properly hydrated at all times in such heat. Southern Nevada hits up to 130F with humidity in the teens or lower. Lots of slow people in the desert. ;)

brown_thumb

I just watched a YT video about using coconut oil for something like 60 days to help with and maybe 'cure' alzheimer's

The video may have been referencing production of ketone bodies (brain food). A better option is MCT oil which is a very refined oil made from coconut and/or palm oils. I'm sure a complete dietary change would be necessary to achieve full benefit. I doubt it's a cure but it likely slows progression of the disease. If you're looking for Alzheimer's treatment then search for the study done with 'Exenatide'. That study involved Parkinson's patients but there are some similarities between AD, PD and LBD.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah....it was difficult to drink 6-7 liters of water everyday...

...and with ambient temperatures higher than my body temperature should be, and no air-con it was very difficult to function.

I would attribute a bit of it to dehydration damage. It's difficult to stay properly hydrated at all times in such heat. Southern Nevada hits up to 130F with humidity in the teens or lower. Lots of slow people in the desert. ;)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Not sure if this should be in medical forum, but less traffic over there.

That is the question. I have not met a tons of people in 70's or 80's, and have not met an Alzheimers victim, among them. We all forget things when too many hits and beers, but in general have great memories. I swear I remember nursery in hospital, circumsism, and parents having sex on bed when infant, among many other bits of all sections of life.
Accessing memories depends a lot on how they are stored. Lanuage automatically has them stored symbolically and retrieval is similar to a computer word search.
Preverbal memories are not as easily located or interpreted, mostly due to being stored before the massive brain changes brought on by using language.
I identified one of my mystery recalls as the fluorescent bulbs in the hospital corridor where I was born. Visual storage is hard to describe but other memories could now be called up from birth to acquisition of language. Being autistic, language took extra time.
Many things in the first year would be better forgotten, most folks are lucky enough they don't remember.

Alzheimers does not run in my family, I am the first generation to smoke marijuana all my life.
Alcoholics do run in the family, two alcohol related suicides as well as early deaths from health problems.
Alzheimers and its loss of memory may be evolution's way of a compromise, like sickle cell leukemia imparts resistance to malaria.

St. Phatty

Good news, thanks for describing your regimen.

Which modern antibiotics ?

I try to stockpile essential antiobitics.

I have within Date Code Cephalexin. That was prescribed to me for a skin infection on my head.

Also I have penicillin & acyclovir (antiviral.)

A few years ago I got a lung infection by inhaling water during a swimming workout, than being an idiot and not resting and focussing on spitting it out.

Cephalexin was also recommended for that, which ended up being a bacterial lung infection that generated a surprising amount of mucus. Enough so that it was very de-hydrating. I had to drink extra water because my body was focussed on creating mucus as part of getting rid of the infection.

Latest posts

Latest posts