What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snype's Cloning Formula For Root Nubs In 3 Days!

paperchaser825

Just wanted to throw my 2c in here. The Superthrive in question must be understood at Snype's application rate. Meaning, the normal application rate of this bottle is 1 drop per gallon. A standard milliliter is 20 drops. At 3 milliliters per 10 gallons (Snype's Superthrive application rate) we are talking about a 6 fold increase from the recommended application rate. Just wanted to throw that out there for those trying to digest all this and possibly make sense of it.

BTW Snype, my Veg-A is bursting with ghost white roots. Still waiting on the pump housing :*(

NugzBunny

Hey snype, great thread! I religiously read your threads! I'm going to be building an RDWC system in a month or so with ALOT ALOT ALOT of help from those two very helpful threads! **I could never find the thread on ebb and flow that you mentioned but would love to see it**

For this method, you say you use tap water. About what ppm is it? My tap water is HORRIBLE. The water report from 2013 says 500 ppm! So I figured tap water would be a bad choice. So I want to use some R/O water. I was planning on trying to add some sort of buffer (maybe cal/mag?), before using this formula, so the pH can stay more steady. Do you have any advice for me in this situation?

Snype

Veteran
Hey snype, great thread! I religiously read your threads! I'm going to be building an RDWC system in a month or so with ALOT ALOT ALOT of help from those two very helpful threads! **I could never find the thread on ebb and flow that you mentioned but would love to see it**

For this method, you say you use tap water. About what ppm is it? My tap water is HORRIBLE. The water report from 2013 says 500 ppm! So I figured tap water would be a bad choice. So I want to use some R/O water. I was planning on trying to add some sort of buffer (maybe cal/mag?), before using this formula, so the pH can stay more steady. Do you have any advice for me in this situation?

I'm glad that my threads are helping you! My tap water changes depending on location but I've been lucky to have tap water in various locations from 60 PPM to 150 PPM (.5 Scale). I've never used RO water but if your PPM is as high as you say that's what I would use. It that makes your water 0-10 PPM I would probably add CalMag to bring your water somewhere up to 60 PPM. I'm not really the guy to talk to about that though and I'm just making this all up without having doing it myself but that's what I would do in your position to try out. I've been reading more about this recently trying to figure out some things. A thread that I've been trying to learn about is 2 of Lucas's old threads:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21119

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=21254

I think you can find some useful information in those threads but they might be a little confusing. The formula that he talks about is different from the one that I currently use but it seems to be pretty close to the PPM's of all the elements that he uses. I think Lucas said that his formula is for RO water and CalMag and supplements shouldn't be added but he was using 8 Micro and 16 Bloom per Gallon. I think he said said if you are running out of Cal Mag in that formula that you should take your pH down because above 6.0 the plants will use more Mg than at 5.8. The only problem is that he seems to be able to run his pH much lower than my personal experience but I don't really know why it doesn't work for me but it could be because I'm using tap and not RO so maybe my balance of nutrients is off but I can't really explain it as of now. It's something I'm tying to figure out but those 2 threads I found very interesting. Personally I keep my pH in the range of 5.8-6.2 but from reading that thread I'm trying to stay closer to 5.9 but this subject is very debatable depending on other growers experiences.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i backed outta using that much superthrive, trying to catchup trom long winded bitches.
i did add the flower nutes and got somewhat stronger response.

i'll work up to it, thanks again.

keep on keeping on.

btw...still 7 days...

Last edited:

somerandom

Snype, thanks for sharing. I tried some of, but not all of your method and it's the fastest from cloner to soil that i have had.Nice lush, happy, healthy babies !!! i think it was around 10 days. I'll be doing it again within the next 5 days. This time i'll remember to mark what day i take them on before i smoke or drink to much :) and see how many days it takes.

Snype

Veteran
i backed outta using that much superthrive, trying to catchup trom long winded bitches.
i did add the flower nutes and got somewhat stronger response.

i'll work up to it, thanks again.

keep on keeping on.

btw...still 7 days...

Keep us updated! Thanks for checking in!

Snype, thanks for sharing. I tried some of, but not all of your method and it's the fastest from cloner to soil that i have had.Nice lush, happy, healthy babies !!! i think it was around 10 days. I'll be doing it again within the next 5 days. This time i'll remember to mark what day i take them on before i smoke or drink to much :) and see how many days it takes.

Great! :woohoo:

I'm happy to know that my information is being put to good use! Keep up the good work!

Catatafish

Veteran
So when using these cloner machines, a humidity dome isn't neccessary? I have real low humidity here, usually less than 20%. I always have to use one when using jiffys or plugs.

Do you think a cloner will work well without one in that low humidity.

That root formation is just absolutely sick Snype :)

Snype

Veteran
So when using these cloner machines, a humidity dome isn't neccessary? I have real low humidity here, usually less than 20%. I always have to use one when using jiffys or plugs.

Do you think a cloner will work well without one in that low humidity.

That root formation is just absolutely sick Snype :)

The humidity is where the roots form. You don't need a dome on an aeroponic cloner. Inside the cloner will be all the humidity that you need.

Catatafish

Veteran
Snype, do you run the water pump on the cloner 24/7 or do you use a cycle timer?

Is there an air pump on these cloners? If so is it going into air stones or the water manifold? Is it neccessary, isnt there a waterfall effect going on from the water coming out of the nozzles falling back into solution?

Gonna DIY since you say the new ones are junk. Found a nice tote for it.

Snype

Veteran
Snype, do you run the water pump on the cloner 24/7 or do you use a cycle timer?

Is there an air pump on these cloners? If so is it going into air stones or the water manifold? Is it neccessary, isnt there a waterfall effect going on from the water coming out of the nozzles falling back into solution?

Gonna DIY since you say the new ones are junk. Found a nice tote for it.

I run the water pump 24/7. Not sure if the new cloners have air stones. I always add 4 air stones in my EZ Clone 60 (10 Gal). The air stones are connected to a pump that has a rating equal to the solution in the cloner per minute. Usually these pumps come in liters per minute so you would have to convert gal to liters. It's not necessary for the air stones but I always have better results personally. It seems like the more air the better. That's a good idea to build one yourself.

Catatafish

Veteran
Snype get well soon!

Did build a nice little cloner. Gonna run a test batch and if all works well i can post the specs/build if anyone interested.

From initial testing it looks like it should work very wells.

Picked up some Thrive Alive B1 Red as i thought that was what you were using in the other thread.....i just noticed you used ST on this thread. hopefully works same.

Nice thread. I'm about to put thus too the test.
Thank agsin for the info.

For those not needing 10 gal mixes.
This will bake it easier for done I hope.
2ml Micro
3ml Bloom
.3ml Super Thrive
.05ml ( A drop ) Clorox
Gallon mixture.
SB2

Catatafish

Veteran
My DIY is working! 5 days and most have roots forming.

Probably not most ideal conditions for them either. Accidentally doubled the nute strength ..... bought wrong "thrive" product..... no airstone for 3 days....super warm temps78~80. I guess i was seeing how bad of conditions could i give and it still work :)

I did add a venturi valve that came with my danner supreme hydro pump after 3 days for some air. I dont really no how much it adds as it doesnt feel like much suction when i put my finger on it. Gonna tinker a build a custom one when i get a chance.

but the testing at least proved good. So i will correct errors when i take next set of clones.

Thanks again snype for the guidance!

Catatafish

Veteran
I pretty much did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJbg_acdV38

I used the same container but a smaller one. They have the smaller one at some walmarts, i believe it was a 17gal instead of the 27gal in the vid. Just trying to cut down the count and save space :) The one i used will hold 17 2". You could also squeeze a few smaller ones in if needed around the edges. If you got the space and not worried the 27gal would be a little nicer.

I bought the rest of the parts at amazon. I dont see the same netpot package i bought (only pots and collars), but here is a kit from same person:
http://www.amazon.com/30-PACK-CLONING-INSERTS-SPRAYERS/dp/B00HGQ34AY

I also bought the 50 blue colored misters and some extra collars from the same person. I used 16 misters in the the prototype. I dont know if a difference in quality between red and blue...?

I cut the bottom of the netpots off and just use them as a holder i guess you could say, i little easier to work with then a bare collar.

I used 3/4" pvc, i bought a 5' piece from lowes for like 1.79. Same config as in the vid.

I used a 350 danner i bought for a 6 site snype system that i didn't use. You may want to look for the "danner supreme hydroponic" pumps as they come with a venturi valve. I used this for my air for the time being. You could just use airstones/pump and probably get much more air like snype does. I dont know if a 250 will do or not? 350 seems strong ...but its working and i had it laying around. I know snype likes stuff oversized in the cloners.

One note, with the danner when you attach the manifold to pump...its lopsided and wants to fall to one side. I found some PVC snap on T's at lowes that i added to the one side to make a support leg, i think it was 1" size and it fits over the underside of the manifold without interfering with misters. Its sealed so water doesnt go thru the leg.

I will probably redesign a little bit and tweak. Such as move pump to outside the chamber to keep temps down. That 350 gets warm :) Temps are probably ~80 (im in the swamps and tommorows temp is mid 70's outside) Ive seen people use a cycle timer for 1min on and 4min off to keep cool....not sure of the whole effects of this.

Borrowed a tap 10/32 from pops and used an 11/64 drill bit to put the misters in the pvc.

I can put a final plan up once i can tinker a little more...in a week or two. I need a weekend to play with it. It was just a quick slap together and test kinda thing so far. Not professionally refined like snypes rdwc system yet ;-). I only have one clone in the test run that i care about, Wifi Alien, im waiting for to root enough to move. As soon as its can be moved i will tinker. The rest are just test subjects and can be tossed.

I also used one of the 2" holes to run the cords out of the system. Put them in a collar.

Catatafish

Veteran
One of the things im going to try to tweak is a better venturi valve. I need some time to understand them better. I want one that adds massive air, i dont think the danner one adds a huge amount. There is stuff on the web/youtube that show how to do.

Side note: I didn't cement any of the pvc together, just pushed together really tight. I dont really think its needed for this thing.

Catatafish

Veteran
One more thing....

I would highly suggest to use that specific container, either size. They are really f-ing sturdy compared to rubbermaid and the like. I havent found any better. (if anyone has please show me!)

I use these for my temporary Veg-A (27gal) till i can get a table.