What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
it only takes a few degrees difference to create change, it need not hit 100 F in alaska to be a symptom of a problem. quite aware of incredible amounts of moisture that have fallen in last 6 mo. nope, sorry. not baffled. still having high temps here above normal, as was the last 6 months. still looks like climate change due to global warming to me. maybe if your charts, graphs and links were in color or capitalized they would be more persuasive? it seems to work in other threads here...:tiphat:

M

moose eater

As an additional weather anecdote, citing an extreme, though not totally unheard of, I was in Tucson in February, picking up a vehicle for my wife, then driving back home to Alaska.

A handful of days after I left Tucson, they got (if my friend there was accurate) about 3" of snow. it didn't last long, but they got it. Shocked/'paralyzed' a LOT of non-snow people.

That said, I believe that the warmer parts of the SW US are seeing SLIGHTLY hotter summers. My mother lived in Scottsdale, after leaving Lower/SW Michigan, preceding her demise, and I can recall the more extreme days in Scottsdale of 120 f. in the shade. My visit there helped to form a geo-philosophical stance for me, that persons should NOT live where going outside barefoot can cause 2nd degree burns to their feet in a matter of minutes (true case).

Bringing the car back from Tucson this last February, I reached Utah, coming out of Flagstaff, Az., and went from sunshine near the Grand Canyon, to a hellish snow storm just out of Kanab, going north up Hwy 89. Major calamities.

By the time I cut west on a rural county road, through the hills, and over to the freeway a hundred-and-some, miles south of Salt Lake City, it turned to whiteout. I had to stop driving in the mid-evening, as I could no longer safely see. The storm left significant snow and slush on the road throughout the urban areas there, and the woman announcing the play-by-play on the classic rock station the next morning, pointed out that this was the FIRST snow day they'd seen in the over-20-years she'd been working there.

So there's changes afoot in weather patterns, but one factor to consider when talking about changes to classic winter trends, or changes to classic summer trends, etc., is to consider that in any given location, the length of the summers and winters vary; sometimes significantly. A slight cooling and/or dampening to a 3-month warm period, doesn't effectively off-set the observed warming to a 7-8 mos. cold period.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Oh please stop quoting Tony Heller the shoe salesman (aka Steve Goddard).

Btw... did you notice the record breaking Tornadoes last month (over 500 in 30 days). Do you think they relate to climate change (global heating)? Just asking.

Several tornado records were broken in 2011, including for greatest number of tornadoes in a single month (758 in April) and the greatest daily total (200, on April 27). NWS's count of 326 tornadoes occurred during the month of May 2011.

as far as i know there is heat and cold involved.
warm moist air and cold dry air. more likely a product of the disturbed polar vortex. in my estimation though, it was the cold weather systems pulled from the arctic into the midwest.

the polar vortex disruption a result of weakened magnetic field allowing more energy from the sun to penetrate further into our atmosphere. this could also be exaggerated by the recent disclosure of ozone destroying CFCs from chinese industrial plants being emitted.

my family and i lived in las vegas for 35 years. it was always hot, sometimes near 120F. one year in the 70s it was 112F at 2:00AM, now near seattle it's unusual to see 80-90F.
it may be difficult to understand that there are multiple climate zones with extreme contrasts in north america, and one region cannot be compared with another by the standards of that one region.

tony sold you your sole huh?

St. Phatty

Oh please stop quoting Tony Heller the shoe salesman (aka Steve Goddard).

Btw... did you notice the record breaking Tornadoes last month (over 500 in 30 days). Do you think they relate to climate change (global heating)? Just asking.

"In Chemistry, Degrees Matter".

I haven't studied tornadoes.

One interesting thing about hurricanes is what happens when Gulf of Mexico surface waters get above 80 degrees F.

When it gets up to 86-88 F, that's a problem because it adds energy to any hurricane that blows on top of it.

82 degrees - no problem.

86 degrees - problem.

M

moose eater

From the Fairbanks Daily News Miner’s on-line copy today. I think it’s more than pertinent to the discussion.

The News Miner is a predominantly Republican-influenced rag, btw.

(*Note: the Fairbanks Daily News Miner has gotten stingy with free on-line reading, and now only offers TWO free articles per week. On top of that, if you have a very slow ancient connection, such as I do, their system's ability to accurately count is questionable, and cuts both ways).

The ripple effect of climate change includes changes to species, and changes to behaviors of species.

What ever the causes, it is happening.

https://www.newsminer.com/kodiak/early-lives-of-alaska-sockeye-salmon-accelerating-with-climate-change/article_55b99928-0ced-5ea0-b4b6-a724c562efbf.html

https://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/spring-brought-record-warmth-to-alaska/article_8c6c329e-88a4-11e9-abb3-a7cec1f7d957.html

I recall articles a couple years back, some showing polar bears making their way down the Haul Road (leaving Prudhoe Bay, headed south) were on an increased frequency, and another citing the incidence of cross-species breeding between polar bears and grizzlies; 2 critters with some different behavioral and other traits between them.

Like with all of us, food is a major player in how the world stacks up.

St. Phatty

Like with all of us, food is a major player in how the world stacks up.

And water.

For a lot of animals, when the forest turns dry and the water sources go away, the closest they can get to a drink of water is, a baby bird or something similar.

I have the impression that infant mortality among animals gets close to 100% in those areas that have the combination of high heat and wildfire smoke.

M

moose eater

Yep. Places in Africa where entire communities are relocating, regardless of how much infrastructure had been invested in, or places where fresh water supplies are becoming scarce, and desalinization plants are non-existent, limited, or not sufficient to support the local population. They are all evidence of our vulnerability.

I told someone the other day how Humans, in our grand delusions, like to think of ourselves as the epitome of evolved or advanced.

Then I mentioned the bio-fungicides I have here that can be dried to granular form, then a year later, water added, and POOF!! They're back at it, doing their jobs.

THAT'S an evolved species, in my estimation.

Dry -me- out into granular form.. and that's pretty much all she wrote. ;^>)

Another friend told me he'd been reading about micro-organisms in space, and the recent (?) hypotheses that these things might be the missing link in the 'Big Bang.'

Who knows?

In an all-out, all-out, my money's on the micro-organisms and the cockroaches.

St. Phatty

attachment.php

wierd - this image is 628 x 478 but it looks bigger ?!

This one hot windy afternoon, first 4 then 5 new fires pop up, in this one area around Sacramento, Calif.

One of them is 100 acres right next to a busy road & a bunch of suburbia. Pretty sure that's human-caused. I don't mean that to sound bad.

People can drive carefully but if they drive through long grass, with a hot exhaust pipe under the car - insta-fire, sometimes.

Attachments

• sat-afternoon.jpg
    sat-afternoon.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 15

armedoldhippy

Veteran
St. Phatty One of them is 100 acres right next to a busy road & a bunch of suburbia. Pretty sure that's human-caused. I don't mean that to sound bad. [/QUOTE said:
vast majority of fires ARE human-caused, and an alarmingly large % of those are arson, started just for the hell of it. many in rural areas are set by volunteer firefighters that are bored shitless.:moon: i guess too much ping-pong or Rook does get dull...

M

moose eater

Up here, the majority of fires are caused by lightning. We get record numbers of strikes, which is why the HAARP facility has had adjunct folks, some associated with the upper echelon of their engineers, studying lightning strikes via electronic monitoring, as the electrical interference is very similar to that caused by other sources, to include EMP. Which is, in my opinion, a good part of the military's past interest in HAARP, before handing it more completely off to the University of Alaska, who is more or less in charge of it now. (*Side-note; I give very little credence to Nick Begich's book re. HAARP; yes the military has had an interest, but overcoming limitations posed by EMP is my best calculation or guess as to their cause of interest).

Our forest fire season here has been creeping upward and outward here for a number of years; the fires come earlier in the spring now, and leave later. Last summer was somewhat of a fluke, and we weren't smoked out for the bulk of the summer.

This year, as of about 1-1/2 weeks ago, the Oregon Lakes Fire, out near Delta Jct. toward Donnelly Dome, was already approaching 29,000 acres. There's BUNCHES of unexploded ordinance in the Buffalo Training area, operated, or maintained, by Ft. Greely, so they couldn't put fire-fighters on the ground there, for fear of mishaps.

The wind makes it worse, and Donnelly Dome/Delta Jct. in particular, are definite high wind areas. But we did have some record rain-fall near us since then. Can't say for sure how much they got over there. And despite the distance, one day or so, the wind was just right to bring the smoke from that fire, to where we live..

Yesterday we had an experience I've never had before. I was typing at the keyboard, and it sounded like someone touched off a 105 Howitzer between my house and the barn; a narrow distance from either. I mean the BOOM was RIGHT THERE!! A sound the likes I've never heard before up close like that.

I quit typing and headed to the window at the bottom of the main stairwell, at the NE corner of the house, and my son had coincidentally been at the top of the same stairwell, looking north, out toward the barn, while on his cell phone. He said there was a bolt of lightning that struck some place in the woods, descending to the ground, immediately behind our barn. He said he saw it strike.

I was a bit surprised that it didn't torch a tree (taller object and all), instead hitting the ground. But the lack of separation between the thunder and the strike, with them happening simultaneously, told me it was much closer than I'm comfy with.

I later asked him to go out to the woods behind the barn, and give a cursory look for any smoldering or burned surface(s). He didn't search long, but said he saw no evidence of smolder.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
FREEZE WARNING DECLARED FOR EAST IDAHO BECAUSE OF NEAR RECORD LOW TEMPS IN FORECAST

The weather service said Sunday morning's temperatures will nearly be cold enough to break records in many of those areas. Temps will likely be in the 50s on Sunday afternoon in East Idaho and that will be cold enough to break records in Pocatello and Burley, the weather service said.

No other winter weather-related warnings are in effect in Idaho.

Outside of the state, much of Nevada is also under a freeze warning while winter weather advisories are in effect in parts of Oregon, Montana and Wyoming.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/n...cle_99b10e59-0fc8-56ff-b994-78557864d740.html

heat is def easier to survive than cold.

i'm still wearing sweaters here in June-uary, was still wearing long-johns till last month.

high temps mid-60sF...too cool to ride the motorbike comfortably.

apologies to moose eater, i had forgotten your terrible internet connection and inability to stream video. sucks me going on about videos i post and you being unable to view, i'll try to keep that in mind as we progress...

St. Phatty

Up here, the majority of fires are caused by lightning. We get record numbers of strikes, which is why the HAARP facility has had adjunct folks, some associated with the upper echelon of their engineers, studying lightning strikes via electronic monitoring, as the electrical interference is very similar to that caused by other sources, to include EMP. Which is, in my opinion, a good part of the military's past interest in HAARP, before handing it more completely off to the University of Alaska, who is more or less in charge of it now. (*Side-note; I give very little credence to Nick Begich's book re. HAARP; yes the military has had an interest, but overcoming limitations posed by EMP is my best calculation or guess as to their cause of interest).

Lightning is one powerful force of nature.

I read that Tasmania had their first incidents of dry lightning this last summer. Totally new for them & they got a bunch of wildfires to go with it. Which made their Summer 2018/2019 much more difficult.

I can't help but wonder if a person could use lightning to help find metal deposits in the ground. If it does follow the path of least resistance, it would tend to strike more often where there are metallizations (of rocks & minerals) in the ground.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
ET's. Did you watch the History Channel last week when they announced that the Aliens are living in HUGE structures under the Antarctic ice? www.history.com
I don't know if you are aware of Linda Moulton Howe's www.earthfiles.com
She has documentation going back to 1942 saying the ET's are here.

St. Phatty

ET's. Did you watch the History Channel last week when they announced that the Aliens are living in HUGE structures under the Antarctic ice? www.history.com
I don't know if you are aware of Linda Moulton Howe's www.earthfiles.com
She has documentation going back to 1942 saying the ET's are here.

In January 1995, the San Jose Mercury News had a small article in the middle of the front section.

A short press release from the US Air Force.

"The US Air Force acknowledges recovering objects from New Mexico in 1947. The objects were extra-terrestial and were considered to be manufactured in origin."

= Limited Hang-out.

They told a tiny part of the story. But most papers would put it on page 1 & use a HUGE type.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Why Is China Pouring Money Into The Arctic?

by Tyler Durden
Mon, 06/10/2019 - 12:54

Via Global Risk Insights,
Diplomats gathered in Rovaniemi to discuss the state of the North Pole were caught off-guard by the United States’ posturing. In a speech to the Arctic Council, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sharply warned against China’s increasing economic activity on the North Pole and the potential militarization of its projects. The Arctic Council is the main intergovernmental forum on Arctic affairs and its mandate does not cover security issues. Therefore, his remarks were unusual and raised important questions. To what degree could China’s polar aspirations pose a threat to the regional stability of the Arctic Circle?
Clip-Art-China.jpg

Chinese investments in the Arctic

Some of China’s investments have been welcomed by regional actors, and include the China Iceland Joint Arctic Science Observatory. Its costs were covered fully by the Chinese government, according to Halldor Johannsson, vice-chair of the new research facility located in Northern Iceland. Originally meant to monitor the northern lights, both parties have already committed to expanding its activities. Despite earlier suspicions in 2011 regarding investments by a Chinese billionaire, Iceland’s attitude towards scientific cooperation with China remains neutral, and the Observatory was inaugurated in October 2018.
W020181022312260106720.jpg

In Greenland, melting glaciers provide new opportunities for the exploration of natural resources. Chinese companies are involved in six different projects, including a partnership with the Australian company to extract uranium and rare earth minerals, which may serve a growing demand for the latter in China. While environmental concernshave been raised, international cooperation on natural resource extraction could reduce Greenland’s current reliance on Danish subsidies.
However, in other cases, Chinese investments have been met with wary eyes. A sparsely populated but vast island, Greenland relies on aviation for the transport of both goods and people. When in 2017 two Chinese construction companies applied for a government tender to build three airports, their bid to improve the infrastructure network of the island sparked fears of a Chinese takeover in the Danish Parliament. In order to prevent Greenland from falling into a potential ‘debt trap’, Denmark offered to finance the projects instead.
In Sweden, a newly opened research facility in Kiruna has also been put under scrutiny after the Swedish Defense Research Agency, an entity of Sweden’s Ministry of Defense, argued that its monitoring capabilities could be abused by the Chinese military. China’s first wholly-owned satellite ground station opened in January 2019 and is meant to improve global satellite data reception. Yet the highly blurred lines between the civilian and military sphere in China’s space efforts mean that potential military applications of its new satellite base cannot be ruled out. It is these concerns that fuel U.S. antagonism towards a growing Chinese presence on the North Pole.
Simply business?

These investments are exemplary of China’s wish to become a ‘polar great power’, a term first used by President Xi Jinping in 2014. Its aspirations in the polar regions have become clearer since January 2018, when the State Council Information Office released a white paper entitled ‘China’s Arctic Policy’. This document outlines some of China’s economic and scientific interests in the Arctic but refrains from mentioning any long term military and strategic goals.
st_20180220_snarctic20_3774753.jpg

More specifically, the paper calls for international cooperation in order to develop a new shipping route through the Arctic. The new route, called the Northern Sea Route, shaves off 15 days of the shipping time and allows ships to navigate Russian waters in order to enter the seas of Western Europe. Since 2013, Chinese shipping company COSCO has conducted 22 commercial voyages and its cargo volume is predicted to increase in the coming years.
Furthermore, the emphasis is placed on the potential extraction of both natural and living resources. In addition to its activities in Greenland, China is also involved in a Sino-Russian joint venture in Yamal, Russia, to extract liquified natural gas. A recent bureaucratic shuffle in March 2018 has put the Chinese Arctic and Antarctic Administration under the direct supervision of the new Ministry of Natural Resources. This illustrates the importance the Chinese government attaches to the potential economic utilization of the Arctic.
While business interests thus dominate Chinese foreign policy in the far north, other intentions likely play a role as well. The Arctic, for example, is perceived by Chinese researchers as a barometer for climate change, the latter which may have a direct impact on Chinese national security. Rising sea levels, for example, threaten to flood Chinese coastal regions, including its highly industrialized Pearl River Delta. And although the government has withheld from commenting on military affairs in an official capacity, academics from institutions of the People’s Liberation Army continue to engage in discussions on the geostrategic implications of melting ice caps.
The snowy road ahead

Governance in the Arctic is an extremely convoluted process, however: rather than one single regime, the region is governed by a patchwork of international treaties. While the Arctic Council exercises some influence, the current regulatory framework favours the five littoral states of Canada, Denmark, the United States, Russia, and Norway. In the 2008 Ilulissat Declaration, this group asserted its primacy in Arctic affairs, effectively preventing the creation of a comprehensive Arctic Treaty without its approval.
Although Chinese scholars have raised their concerns about the exclusionary nature of the current regime structure, officials are careful not to make any public statements. Despite the restrictions that the current Arctic regime poses for China, the current treaties in place provide some leeway for the country to engage in its interests. China is therefore likely to continue to push for international cooperation in these fields. It will be eager to avoid securitization of the region. Scientific investments, such as those in Iceland, form an opportunity to forge bonds with potential Arctic allies, including its own neighbours: since 2013, China, Japan, and Korea have held yearly summits on Arctic cooperation.
As climate change takes centre stage in the Arctic Council, China remains off the radar – for now. Its activities in the far north are limited as of now. Chinese militarization is unlikely in the foreseeable future as the country continues to build ties with what it regards as key stakeholders in the region. Military use of civilian technology, however, cannot be ruled out and these uncertainties may fuel further hostility of the United States towards China’s policies abroad. Much like its unease towards the use of Chinese 5G technology, it is probable that an increasing amount of Chinese ventures around the Arctic Ocean may become yet another factor contributing to the growing distrust between the two nations.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-10/why-china-pouring-money-arctic

Latest posts

Latest posts