What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Hot Is Your Flower?

oldbootz

Veteran
I get what you are saying. If you have low minerals in your finished product, there is clean light white ash left after smoking. There is no flame retarding minerals left in the weed and the joint does not go out easily. The weight is lighter than with minerals not flushed. Same thing as your test, just noticing the effect in a different way.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Well, joints go out without constant toking. Minerals retain heat, helping the cherry stay hot. The lighter ash and weight is right on point. :)

Douglas.Curtis

My weed burns so clean it leaves no ashes, just a little residue ;-)
Now that's something I haven't seen before. Would you smoke a bowl and take pics between tokes so we can see?

Large, tightly packed bowls of mine leave a small, light and fluffy ash.

Douglas.Curtis

ash is carbon, plants are made of carbon, lol im sure it was a joke.
Well I'm not joking, in case anyone is wondering about that. Deadly serious here. This is something which has irritated me for almost 10 years now. An in your face kind of thing, every time I have to outsource for cannabis.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
My bubble hash burns to almost no ash. Just a tiny bit of white ash. Real tiny bit.

My pot must be dirty because I smoke joints and my ash tray is always full of gray and black ashes.

Douglas.Curtis

My bubble hash burns to almost no ash. Just a tiny bit of white ash. Real tiny bit.

My pot must be dirty because I smoke joints and my ash tray is always full of gray and black ashes.
I have little to no exp with bubble hash, no comment there except white ash being good for bowl ash color.

No white, slightly grey in the ashtray? I would hope for more grey than black, though joints do have combustion differences over bowls.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I get what you are saying. If you have low minerals in your finished product, there is clean light white ash left after smoking. There is no flame retarding minerals left in the weed and the joint does not go out easily. The weight is lighter than with minerals not flushed. Same thing as your test, just noticing the effect in a different way.

is that a fact?
you really think well flushed yields less then unflushed? if true, it's extra weight i can live without, lol.

MrBungle

They yield less because the plant is malnourished ;)...

The way you guys talk about metals in buds, you would think they were magnetic..... Give me a break

The fact that you still use bottled nutes, and claim your flower is cleaner than everyone else's is hilarious to me Douglas

oldbootz

Veteran

The way you guys talk about metals in buds, you would think they were magnetic..... Give me a break

The fact that you still use bottled nutes, and claim your flower is cleaner than everyone else's is hilarious to me Douglas

Each to their own. You smoke yours and I smoke mine.

oldbootz

Veteran
is that a fact?
you really think well flushed yields less then unflushed? if true, it's extra weight i can live without, lol.

Yes the bud that has no minerals left in it is very light compared to the same bud with minerals in it. The best way to check how good your stuff is, is burn it and check the ash color. I make the bud for me to smoke have hardly anything left in it and its like the bud is just a shell, or a vehicle for the resin to get into me. For selling its another matter since you sacrifice some yield to get the really nice white ash bud.

My method is organic tubs with coco perlite base, getting only water usually, maybe once or twice in the flowering plants life will they get something other than water. I take my plants down late and let them finish properly.

Cvh

Supermod
Does anyone have some test results that proofs that flushed cannabis has lower metal/mineral content?
It would be great if we would have some numbers to compare.

I personally believe that properly flushed Cannabis has a lower mineral content.
But I don't know that everything the plant sucked up is easily washed out. I think some minerals/metals remain locked into the plant.

Here is an interesting read about how cannabis can be used as 'Phytoremediation' to clean up polluted areas.

Cannabis was even one the crops used by the Soviets to clean up after the Chernobyl accident.

Article:
https://www.humboldtseeds.net/en/blog/hemp-action-in-the-regeneration-of-soils/

Douglas.Curtis

Does anyone have some test results that proofs that flushed cannabis has lower metal/mineral content?
It would be great if we would have some numbers to compare.

I personally believe that properly flushed Cannabis has a lower mineral content.
But I don't know that everything the plant sucked up is easily washed out. I think some minerals/metals remain locked into the plant.

Here is an interesting read about how cannabis can be used as 'Phytoremediation' to clean up polluted areas.

Cannabis was even one the crops used by the Soviets to clean up after the Chernobyl accident.

Article:
https://www.humboldtseeds.net/en/blog/hemp-action-in-the-regeneration-of-soils/
The article you post points out some of the issues I'm talking about. Cannabis can and does absorb un-needed and excess elements from the root zone. I attribute the 'fixing of elements' by accumulator type plants, such as cannabis, for the inability to flush out these excesses.

Cannabis doesn't care too much what your source minerals are, I care quite a bit about how clean and how properly balanced they are. For the record, the same nute regimen I use is currently producing tons (literally) of high plant content, lower trichome density cannabis. Nutrient source is not a magic bullet to quality. ;)

I would love to find there is a test for unconverted mineral content. Especially useful would be a home test. What will completely remove plant material and leave only unconverted minerals behind? What style of test would reveal the make up of the elements?

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Anyone else remember the study where cadmium toxic cannabis was grown using "cadmium safe" soil? I'd love to understand the additional payhways of uptake cannabis uses to accomplish this.

Here's a much better pic of clean ash...

Attachments

• Almost-ashed-bowl-closeup.jpg
    Almost-ashed-bowl-closeup.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 11

Douglas.Curtis

How did I miss this, lol. The yield is the same, when veg times are slightly increased to compensate for less plant production. It isn't malourished plants. lol It's the environment and how you use the nutrients.

At the end of the day, no one is using cannabis for the plant content, why focus on it? (scrape all that frost off and give me a bowl of plain leaf! I don't want that sticky stuff in my bowl, damnit! Uhhh... no.) Higher yields of actual medicine is the goal here. I know someone who over extracts cannabis EVERY TIME, because they believe their yield is higher. Only their dab weight is higher, the medicinal content stays the same.

This is what most growers are doing, extracting the maximum plant weight from their grow rooms instead of maximum medicinal weight. ;)

I thought the redder the Cherry the hotter? :D

Ashes are used as one of many quality indicators in plant matter.

What they are measuring is the weight of the ashes when you turn say 1g of plant matter (flour for example) completely to ash.

The exact procedures are described in the Pharmacopoes.
The monography of cannabis flowers in the Deutsches ArzneiBuch for cannabis does not (yet?) contain a typical ash weight. It is the only one i could find with a quick search. I guess it is the same as in the european pharmacopoeia but do not have access atm.
search for cannabis at www.bundesanzeiger.de to find the Monography of Cannabis flos.
There is one published in june 2017.

The procedure is like this:
To turn a sample to ashes you heat it for a couple of hours to a temperature of 600 to 800 °C.
You heat slowly to the chosen temp and leave it there for several hours.
If you go higher in temps your ashes will melt.
After cooling you check the color of the ashes.
If the ashes are not a relatively homogenous very light grey to white ash, do have dark bits in it you repeat the ashing (maybe with breaking up clumps of dark ashes) until you get a nice whitish ash.
Then you weight the ashes with a very precise scale.
Different plants do have different typical ash weights. If the ashes of your sample are heavier you have a quality problem.
Not sure if ashes can be too light.

Ashes do contain among others: Oxides like P2O5, K2O, MgO, CaO, Fe2O3, SiO, Carbonates
So the Phosphor, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium and others that is in your plants will show in the weight of the ashes. You can analyse the ashes for different heavy metals too.
I do not know if the heavy metals are present enough to really show up in the weight of the ashes.

Another idea just comes to my mind. There are ashless filters. They are made out of treated cellulose.
When burnt they leave near to no weight.
Plant matter is a lot of cellulose. So I guess clean plant matter can burn almost ashless.

When smoking a joint or a pipe, i guess the ashes get whiter with a hotter cherry and or more oxygen (airflow). Isn’t charcoal produced with restricting the oxygen?

Cherry is less hot when red, the hotter the whiter the shine of the cherry.
Observe your joint, when you draw or a woodfire when you blow air or even pure oxygen (don’t do it may be a strong reaction) on it.
(what temp has a joint cherry 400° 600° 800°C anyone knows or can measure it?)

How you smoke has a big impact on the appearance of your ashes, as has the material.
But I guess if the same person smokes the same way a homogenous whiter or lighter grey ash can be a quality sign but its not really scientific.

Now to the observation of DC. There may be something to it:

The ashes stay hot for longer if they weight more, like any material.
So your observation is really worth looking at!
Cool

P.S.: My lung says exactly this.

Some weeds just smell burnt, heavy on the lungs. Dark ash.
Black ashes make me cough much much more. (Even when i vaporize such weed) I generally would not even want to touch such weed. Just got CBD Flowers like this at a dispensary , but I guess it is more than just too much fertiliser they also smell weird. Might try to weight the ashes of some samples.
Some weed you can taste much more of the trichomes and much less burnt matter. Generally whiter ash.

The cannabis that burns to whitish ash is also much better in a vaporizer. You can go on a higher temperature without irritating the lung more.

Last edited: