What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any other turkey hunters on here?

Wendull C.

Veteran
They can fly. I had one bust out of a creek i was surveying less than 3 ft away. Scared the living shit out of me, anf flew off.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Unit 26, the Brooks Range. I lived there in a eskimo village in the 70s and 80s. I got a full curl or better every fall. Great meat. I never went real high up the mountains. I liked to catch them when they were lower. Sunning themselves on the side of the mountain or when they went lower for water or mineral licks. I see dall all the time where I live right now in southcentral alaska. 10 miles up the valley toward the glacier has a bunch of herds there. Permit drawing for these dall. No roads just atv trails up there. I've been up there a thousand times and only remember twice when I didn't see dalls either on the side of the mountains or down in the valley at the water and mineral licks. This fall I'll be hunting Grizz, caribou and moose in the Talkeetna mountains near Eureka. Can't wait:biggrin:

Thank you fine sir. May you get a boone and crockett grizzly, and a fine eating couple of ungulates this season. You lucky dog, you.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
we had deer out the wazoo around here until a couple of years back. we had drought three summers running & "blue tongue" disease killed a hell of a lot of them. (epizootic hemorrhagiac disease, sp?) it mainly strikes bigger older deer, and is worse during droughts when deer concentrate around water sources & the disease is spread by the bite of a tiny midge fly...

Several years ago we had a chronic wasting disease outbreak in our deer down south. Saw many dead mature deer near water. Seems like the disease has cleared up but the DNR is still testing wild populations for it.

Earlmarne

I freakin hate turkeys.
They keep the grouse off my place. I love the spring hunt though. Getting Tom's fired up and coming in is a kick in the pants

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I know turkeys can fly, but not so well. Someone told me you can run them down. Is that even possible?

damn things run better than they fly (think Secretariat), and they fly better than most folks realize. wild turkey drumsticks are (almost) inedible because of the tendons/ligaments in them. i pressure cook/crockpot the legs/thighs until meat falls off, them mix it with dressing mix & a can of mushroom soup & bake in oven...:tiphat:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Several years ago we had a chronic wasting disease outbreak in our deer down south. Saw many dead mature deer near water. Seems like the disease has cleared up but the DNR is still testing wild populations for it.

Concentrated around water? That was blue tongue most likely. Where i buck hunt in Colorado there is chronic wasting. If you find one, it looks thin, confused, ears laid all the way down. Sad to see. Best thing is to shoot em tag em have em tested and get a new tag. It is getting bad in Wyoming and Colorado.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Concentrated around water? That was blue tongue most likely. Where i buck hunt in Colorado there is chronic wasting. If you find one, it looks thin, confused, ears laid all the way down. Sad to see. Best thing is to shoot em tag em have em tested and get a new tag. It is getting bad in Wyoming and Colorado.

You're probably right. All the hunters in the area were calling it CWD because it was very prevalent, but from what research I could find blue tongue was also common in the area. Sounds like the DNR has got both under control now over here.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
It was a nice sunny day, today. 600-900 Sandhill Cranes flew over the house.

They don't honk...they clatter :D

armedoldhippy

Veteran
heading to 'bama in a week for turkalurks. aint been in several years after going 17 years in a row. cannot WAIT to get down there! Talladega Nat'l Forest, here i come!:woohoo::tiphat:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
best in hunt aoh.............birds everywhere round these parts.......struttin' rough........

I use Jeb's chokes.........

armedoldhippy

Veteran
a week of 'bama turkey hunting over. saw 5 big gobblers, but heard no gobbling, called in 3 of them, but fired no shots. had great weather (besides the tornadoes and torrential rain), injured my foot, and was eaten alive by ticks. not bad for a week away from work. :woohoo:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
"called them in"....."didn't shoot"....not big enough beard....?.....nothing worse than ticks......had my share running hounds for yr's........

at least ya got to get away for a time........
maybe Fall if they have season then...........

Wendull C.

Veteran
Damn hippy, I thought for sure you would get one. But a good hunt doesnt always end with meat in the pot. Or in my case antlers on the wall.

Sure you had a good time. Hope I can make it hunting gobblers this spring. Grow jail is a bitch. At these tickets there is no time off anymore. Though I do make sure my outs come in before 3rd season in Colorado....

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a week of 'bama turkey hunting over. saw 5 big gobblers, but heard no gobbling, called in 3 of them, but fired no shots. had great weather (besides the tornadoes and torrential rain), injured my foot, and was eaten alive by ticks. not bad for a week away from work. :woohoo:

the invites out to join me for some ice fishing next year then, same time frame, can promise the only things biting will be walleye, perch, crappie, etc.......

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"called them in"....."didn't shoot"....not big enough beard....?.....nothing worse than ticks......had my share running hounds for yr's........

at least ya got to get away for a time........
maybe Fall if they have season then...........

had them come in silent, from over my left shoulder every time. no way to turn & shoot; i quit trying to "quick-draw" on turkeys years ago, too many birds get wounded/lost that way. VERY long beards, all old turks. 'bamas population is down at moment like lots of other southern states. biologists are not sure what is causing it, bad spring weather after poults hatch or ??? their kill has gone from nearly 50k to under 20k in the last 5 years, a 60% drop...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Damn hippy, I thought for sure you would get one. But a good hunt doesnt always end with meat in the pot. Or in my case antlers on the wall.

Sure you had a good time. Hope I can make it hunting gobblers this spring. Grow jail is a bitch. At these tickets there is no time off anymore. Though I do make sure my outs come in before 3rd season in Colorado....

"a good hunt doesn't always end with meat in the pot". truer words have never been spoken. TN season opens this saturday. "if" i can walk by then, it'll be "game on" once again! rest of states bird population has dropped just like everywhere else, but eastern end of state is still growing...:woohoo:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
that's pretty drastic drop......ever tried with a bow....?

here in Cali it's the one game critter one can hunt during strut.......and they are everywhere......

best in TN hunt........

armedoldhippy

Veteran
that's pretty drastic drop......ever tried with a bow....?

here in Cali it's the one game critter one can hunt during strut.......and they are everywhere......

best in TN hunt........

yeah, i have TRIED hunting them with my recurves/longbows. missed all 13 shots i have taken. :) it is disheartening to realize exactly how much space there is around a turkey through which an arrow may pass that do not include any turkey whatsoever...:biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
opening day has come & gone for me, nothing heard nor seen. a buddy took his wife & daughter with him. set up on a bird that gobbled (they counted, lol) over 200 times in the dark this morning. daylight arrives "BOOM!" some trespassing dickhead crawled up under his roost tree, shot him, grabbed him & ran...:ying: i hope his asshole grows shut, and he gets the squirts.